• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Geraint Thomas

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DBotero said:
R0BL4MBT0N said:
"It's frustrating, I tried so hard to get over the climb, I don’t know why guys don’t just sit where they are on descents. It was hard for me to understand."

It's frustrating to see/hear comments like this. It is hard for me to understand how a pro can have this mindset.

It looks like you left out some words there :rolleyes:
"I'm alright, I'm a bit shaken up but fine. I've had a lot worse," Thomas said to Eurosport later. "It's frustrating, I tried so hard to get over the climb, I don't know why some guys don't just sit where you are on the descent.What's the difference between fifth and third.Just get down the descent. Everyone knows it's a tough descent."

That's cyclingnew's fault tbh but it doesn't change anything. A nasty accident is a nasty accident but it wasn't intentional on Bardet's part. Mistakes happen unless you tip toe down a descent. It's a race, that's not going to happen nor should it. And it's not like Thomas doesn't have a history of making handling mistakes himself.

R0BL4MBT0N said:
DBotero said:
R0BL4MBT0N said:
"It's frustrating, I tried so hard to get over the climb, I don’t know why guys don’t just sit where they are on descents. It was hard for me to understand."

It's frustrating to see/hear comments like this. It is hard for me to understand how a pro can have this mindset.

"I'm alright, I'm a bit shaken up but fine. I've had a lot worse," Thomas said to Eurosport later. "It's frustrating, I tried so hard to get over the climb, I don't know why some guys don't just sit where you are on the descent.What's the difference between fifth and third.Just get down the descent. Everyone knows it's a tough descent."

That's cyclingnew's fault tbh but it doesn't change anything. A nasty accident is a nasty accident but it wasn't intentional on Bardet's part. Mistakes happen unless you tip toe down a descent. It's a race, that's not going to happen nor should it. And it's not like Thomas doesn't have a history of making handling mistakes himself.

I thought it was Barguil :confused: Never mind carry on,sorry for my interfering.

May 12, 2013
Visit site

DBotero said:
R0BL4MBT0N said:
DBotero said:
R0BL4MBT0N said:

I thought it was Barguil :confused:

My bad: Brainout

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
From sky's twitter feed.

@TeamSky: Great news for @GeraintThomas86, today's #TDF2015 crash left him with just a bruised ear and sore left shoulder. He's fine to race on!

Just a bruise and a sore shoulder, that crash could have been so much worse for him.

Re:

Sky'sthelimit said:
From sky's twitter feed.

@TeamSky: Great news for @GeraintThomas86, today's #TDF2015 crash left him with just a bruised ear and sore left shoulder. He's fine to race on!

Just a bruise and a sore shoulder, that crash could have been so much worse for him.
I thought the worse. He's lucky. Someone was watching over him. The morale of the story: wear a helmet.

IMO cycling rules are wrong, if you have a mistake and you afect with your mistake to other people is you fault, and you must pay for that, not other people. Today Thomas should have the same time as his group, or to lose the half he losed and the french rider to lose time.

That is what is fair for me.

If tomorrow Thomas has a mistake and push without intention, just to have a lapsus, Contador againts a tree, and Contador hurt, Thomas should be punished in one way if he finished that stage without problems, and contador should be help in the way is more fair.

Life in the way : one day is for me, one day is for you, and if is more for you, bad luck, it is not fair.

I like Thomas, but I like more Barguil, is a climber with panache, but he did a mistake today, not Thomas.

Re:

Taxus4a said:
IMO cycling rules are wrong, if you have a mistake and you afect with your mistake to other people is you fault, and you must pay for that, not other people. Today Thomas should have the same time as his group, or to lose the half he losed and the french rider to lose time.

That is what is fair for me.

If tomorrow Thomas has a mistake and push without intention, just to have a lapsus, Contador againts a tree, and Contador hurt, Thomas should be punished in one way if he finished that stage without problems, and contador should be help in the way is more fair.

Life in the way : one day is for me, one day is for you, and if is more for you, bad luck, it is not fair.

I like Thomas, but I like more Barguil, is a climber with panache, but he did a mistake today, not Thomas.

Where do you draw the line? If someone loses a wheel and causes a split does that count as a mistake? Cycling has a massive amount of luck involved and mistakes happen. There was no intent and was not exactly a Theo Bos versus Daryl Impey situation. Racing incident, let move on.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Choppy Warburton said:
PremierAndrew said:
fungusbear said:
One thing that worries me about G is his age. He is only 1 year younger than Froome. Will he realisitcally be team leader of SKY anytime soon? Brailsford has said multiple times he sees G as the future leader as it were, but that is not gonna happen while Froome is still around. By the time he moves on, G will be passed his best. Does this mean tha he will take over from Porte and lead SKY at giro/vuelta?

Seems like Froome is planning on leading Sky at the Vuelta too

Might be a while before we see Froome at the Giro in Sky colours, could be an option for Thomas next year but as mentioned he hasn't really won anything to justify that award as yet. We're only now just learning that he can actually climb.

I was thinking about Porte leaving SKY. Perhaps he was told by SKY that G was gonna be the man to lead the team at races where Froome is not the leader (so perhaps the Giro next year).

Cant see G doing well at the Giro or Vuelta, climbs are too steep for him. A normal le Tour route would be perfect for him with gentler climbs and greater TT kms. If Landa signs surely he will lead the Giro or Vuelta next year and I imagine will be a prerequisite for him signing.

Porte is leaving due to a mixture of him being too good to be a dom and Sky looking to free some budget up

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
problem with sky is.. there are too many riders wants to be the GT leader. Porte, Poehl, Henao, Konig, Roche and now G. And possibly with Landa and Kwiatkowski if they sign w/ sky. There are only 3 GT race. And TDF is reserved for Froome, so that left only 2 races. So it bounds some of them will look elsewhere. I don't see G as GT champs. He might be good contender. He is more like wiggins or TJ, I guess. Just because he is climbing well in one GT that doesn't guarantee that he is the real deal. There are 24-ish rider right now who has podium and win GT. Proof that they have GT pedigree. I think Landa has a better pedigree for GT. He just needs to improve his ITT. G should stick to classic and be good at it become the cancellara or Boonen. He is kinda all over the place right now. He is 29? he needs to decide what he wants to focus.

The problem with a rider like Thomas is eventhough he looks like a potential GT rider, he doesn't have that extra to be a true podium GT rider. Especially when you consider Quintana, Landa, Aru are all younger then him, its hard to see him be able to potentially develop enough to be able to compete with them. Now, a GT rider that is what I would call Top 10 capable is still important because of the amount of World tour Points he can earn. Then add in Classics points potential, that is nice commodity to have.

I think ideally for him a team that has a Classics focus but a team that just need a GT guy to help accumulate points would be helpful. I think Lotto-Soudal would be a perfect example. ROelandts, Greipel, and the new kid to provide support for Classics, and they have enough to help with the Gt like Hansen. They don't have a real GT guy (IM not sure about Wellens) since it sounds like VDB will be leaving.

Now I don't see him leaving Sky out of loyalty and comfort, but the above I think would be his best structure to maximize he goals and wishes.

His focus since winning Junior Roubaix, has been the track until 2013. Just like Wiggins, he has an extremely versatile endurance engine. Tweak it by adjusting body weight and he can perform in the mountains with the naturally lightweight riders. Endurance is not as different on the track to on the mountain as many want you to believe. Wiggins case in point.

I don't know, to be top 10 at second rest day, considering the workload he's already absorbed for Froome with the calibre of riders he's having to chase down so far is indicative this year's route has suited him so far.
I think he'll just make top 10 after the alps. Not because he doesn't have the ability to podium, but he'll be chasing down everyone attacking Froome as their last chance to get time back, so his GC placing will not be relative to what could have been. But this is cycling and he's really only in his 2nd year focusing on the road not purely as a rider employed for domestique duties only.

Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86 2h2 hours ago

Thanks for all your support guys!!! Means a lot. It all caught up with me today, was hoping it would Monday, but the hammer arrived early...

Geraint Thomas ‏@GeraintThomas86 1h1 hour ago

Only 2 climbs left of this years race!! Added up its over 30km uphill But still, only 2...

Lol his moral is really good considering today problems.Hopefully tomorrow will give some needed support to Froome.

TRENDING THREADS