• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

getting a rider on this forum

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 22, 2010
908
0
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Just imagine if LA were on here for 10 mins of q's. OMG the forum would go CRAZY!

FL went onto Dailypeloton forums one day in the early days of the aftermath of the '06 tdf. He still had a lot of goodwill that day. I am not sure what is the feeling at DP towards him these days. Probably nothing like it was that day...
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
alberto.legstrong said:
FL went onto Dailypeloton forums one day in the early days of the aftermath of the '06 tdf. He still had a lot of goodwill that day. I am not sure what is the feeling at DP towards him these days. Probably nothing like it was that day...

Think you will find he's been here too ;)

I will agree with beroepsrenner. There are certainly current pro's etc who visit.
 

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
3,480
1
0
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
There are probably more pro's and staff reading these forums then you can imagine.

So better be carefull with what you say. Which reminds me, I really got to start doing that sometime.

You could lose your job with some of the things your saying:p

But really when are you going to make Bauke's site, include a link to this forum on his website, he will be pleased to meet his greatest fans ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
auscyclefan94 said:
I know this maybe hard but would we be able to get a rider on this forum so we could ask questions about doping, racing, their team etc,?

Like a Q and A session.

I would pay a lot of money to get Lance Armstrong on here!:D

The next time you are stalking Cadel, yell over and ask him if he would do it...or does the restraining order prevent you from talking to him even at a distance?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
beroepsrenner said:
I'm sure that a few current pros have a look at this forum and I know for sure that a few ex pros have actually registered and posted. some of us have tried to offer balanced and rational debate but have been ridiculed by people who have no understanding of what drives an elite athlete. There are a small number of intelligent and informed posters on here but there are many more ****heads who post rubbish. It is interesting however to see how the average cycling fan perceives the sport from the other side of the barriers.

I think there are a lot of pro athletes who believe what drives them is special and unique to them. Its a narcissistic view considering that you have no basis for determining that what I pursue in my life is done with any different a motivation than what you have pursued in yours. In fact, I would suggest that humans who seek to excel in a particular area are many times driven by the same things. You just think your subjective drive is not part of a larger basis of motivation. Do you really think you are that special?

I have known several rock stars (one of whom makes the money all but one of you make look like a joke), and they are the same. They think they are special too. Does no longer being in the spotlight require you to continue to segregate yourself from the lower masses in your mind? Just asking a friendly question.
 
Jul 10, 2010
2,906
1
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I think there are a lot of pro athletes who believe what drives them is special and unique to them. Its a narcissistic view considering that you have no basis for determining that what I pursue in my life is done with any different a motivation than what you have pursued in yours. In fact, I would suggest that humans who seek to excel in a particular area are many times driven by the same things. You just think your subjective drive is not part of a larger basis of motivation. Do you really think you are that special?

I have known several rock stars (one of whom makes the money all but one of you make look like a joke), and they are the same. They think they are special too. Does no longer being in the spotlight require you to continue to segregate yourself from the lower masses in your mind? Just asking a friendly question.

While I haven't "known" any stars, I have had the opportunity to meet and converse with far more stars and successful business people than most folk. Combination of that, and watching famous and successful people, and it is pretty easy to conclude that most of them believe they have done something special to get where they are - and that they deserve the attention and rewards they get. We're hearing about it now from the banker-boys on Wall Street - how special and smart they are - with no recognition of their complicity in our recent economic collapse.

You can argue that an athlete is responsible for getting where they are - and there is certainly truth in this. But it is also obvious that people easily forget just how little space separates them from the "rest of us", and how much a part luck has also played (witness any number of crashes this year, but lately, how about Igor Anton?).
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thoughtforfood said:
I have known several rock stars (one of whom makes the money all but one of you make look like a joke), and they are the same. They think they are special too. Does no longer being in the spotlight require you to continue to segregate yourself from the lower masses in your mind? Just asking a friendly question.
By the same token we are lucky enough to have been friends with, and are friends with many musicians, that between them have gold records for hit singles and albums, or had number one hits, and have performed with some of the biggest names in the world of music, all without exception are down to earth, humble, generous and as normal as can be.
 
Apr 29, 2010
1,059
1
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I think there are a lot of pro athletes who believe what drives them is special and unique to them. Its a narcissistic view considering that you have no basis for determining that what I pursue in my life is done with any different a motivation than what you have pursued in yours. In fact, I would suggest that humans who seek to excel in a particular area are many times driven by the same things. You just think your subjective drive is not part of a larger basis of motivation. Do you really think you are that special?

I have known several rock stars (one of whom makes the money all but one of you make look like a joke), and they are the same. They think they are special too. Does no longer being in the spotlight require you to continue to segregate yourself from the lower masses in your mind? Just asking a friendly question.

Or maybe you just think that they think that, but in reality they're busy just doing stuff and not even considering the question of individuality. I find the majority of pro athletes only superficially articulate, in that the delivery maybe smooth, but the content is as canned as the frijoles pintos I just mowed down. Just my interpretation.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
TeamSkyFans said:
By the same token we are lucky enough to have been friends with, and are friends with many musicians, that between them have gold records for hit singles and albums, or had number one hits, and have performed with some of the biggest names in the world of music, all without exception are down to earth, humble, generous and as normal as can be.

I have known others who were very down to earth also. I guess basing an assessment on the entire peloton on just one *** is not really fair, nor logical. I just dislike the "you people don't understand us" type of mentality espoused by beroepsrenner in his post.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I have known others who were very down to earth also. I guess basing an assessment on the entire peloton on just one *** is not really fair, nor logical. I just dislike the "you people don't understand us" type of mentality espoused by beroepsrenner in his post.

No - i think you need to have another look at 'beroepsrenners' post as he did not express that:
Originally Posted by beroepsrenner
I'm sure that a few current pros have a look at this forum and I know for sure that a few ex pros have actually registered and posted. some of us have tried to offer balanced and rational debate but have been ridiculed by people who have no understanding of what drives an elite athlete. There are a small number of intelligent and informed posters on here but there are many more ****heads who post rubbish. It is interesting however to see how the average cycling fan perceives the sport from the other side of the barriers.

His point - underlined above - I believe is a fair and balanced opinion,which they qualified. As you are aware TFF there are people of all shades on this forum. From scientists to interns. ;)

There are many Pros and ex Pros who view - we have had 'beroepsrenner', AdS,131313,MP, DW, JV etc - the question that should be asked is, why very view actually engage? Its my opinion that they believe when they look its either the forum (yes, generalization) either gets it -and they have nothing to add - or they believe 'we' don't get it and are beyond help.
looking at Bps post it would appear their opinion points toward the latter.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
beroepsrenner said:
I'm sure that a few current pros have a look at this forum and I know for sure that a few ex pros have actually registered and posted. some of us have tried to offer balanced and rational debate but have been ridiculed by people who have no understanding of what drives an elite athlete. There are a small number of intelligent and informed posters on here but there are many more ****heads who post rubbish. It is interesting however to see how the average cycling fan perceives the sport from the other side of the barriers.

agreed, though I am sometimes guilty of this. i think this forum can have a bit too much "gossiping" about riders with no evidence backing up peoples claims. No problem discussing a rumour but sometimes it goes a bit too far. It can get a bit aggressive towards riders and other posters which should be cut down.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
auscyclefan94 said:
agreed, though I am sometimes guilty of this. i think this forum can have a bit too much "gossiping" about riders with no evidence backing up peoples claims. No problem discussing a rumour but sometimes it goes a bit too far. It can get a bit aggressive towards riders and other posters which should be cut down.

This is why the Sky riders have told me they arent coming on here until you are on holiday. ;)
 
Sep 9, 2010
121
0
0
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
agreed, though I am sometimes guilty of this. i think this forum can have a bit too much "gossiping" about riders with no evidence backing up peoples claims. No problem discussing a rumour but sometimes it goes a bit too far. It can get a bit aggressive towards riders and other posters which should be cut down.

I'm with you on this.

These guys (and ladies) eat, sleep, and drink the bike. They're under constant scrutiny as it is.

In their positions, I'd sooner stick a hot poker in my eye than fall into the morass that are cycling forums.
 
Jul 17, 2009
4,316
2
0
Visit site
We do Know that Some of them Lurk here however. So don't worry auscycleboy you are among them even though you can't be together