• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giove in custody for marijuana drug charges

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
re: Leonard - Snowboarding and now MTB are the two sports where athletes actually get sanctioned for ganja, not previously known to be the world's most effective "performance-enhancing" substance. :D

re: Giove - Picking up 200 pounds from federal agents after the previous mule squealed = one serious OOPS! I'm afraid poor Missy is now seriously screwed. :eek:

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Interesting tidbit - Missy almost missed all those races. In 1995, I was in Silverton CO with the family and broke my foot. I always drove the RV, but this time my wife had to drive the motorhome back.
In Durango, Missy was standing in the gutter trying to cross the street and my lovely bride almost took her out with the mirrors - close call.
Standing in the gutter and moving pot... maybe she doesn't make the best choices...

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Marijuana should be legal. What about the 5 million tons of deadly tobacco the government allows on the market and is consumed by teenagers on up? So this person will go away to Federal Prison for a long time over what? I feel like I am living in George Orwell's Burma. The USA is the full of hypocrisy

Cannabis prohibition is luciferous. + To Sue George,

This story is also in the Summit Daily News.

US CO: Ex-mountain bike champ Giove hit with drug charges

Webpage: http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20090618/NEWS/906189989/1056

-0-

Caging responsible adult humans for using, growing or selling cannabis is wrong. Cannabis prohibition is the work of the devil.

-0-

Sue George,

You also pointed out about a downhiller testing positive for metabolites of marijuana...

This has happened before: Chris Del Bosco's national championship title was taken away in 2004, in Mammoth.

-0-

The cycling community should not accept cannabis being on the performance enhancing drug list. The cycling community should not be a part of perpetuating or supporting government's discredited prohibition of the God-given plant cannabis. PERIOD!

Cyclists should not be helping prohibitionist government to exterminate cannabis / hemp off the planet earth, which is what government is attempting.

It is rational to ban performance enhancing substances, but taking part in government's wrongful prohibition discredits the work of keeping cycle racing clean.

If a cyclist can drink beer, wine or whiskey after a race, or transport a trailer full of beer etc. then they should be able to do the same with the relatively safe plant cannabis.

The Green Collar Worker

May 12, 2009
Visit site
On one hand, I'm all for legalizing pot.

On the other hand, wasn't she was buying a dime for her grandma with cancer.

Several hundred pounds is a major amount. I'm not going to feel too sorry for someone at that level. They know the risks.

sicbiker,

sicbiker,

I understand the "they know the risks" mentality...

but keep in mind, "Several hundred pounds is a major amount" !NOT!

several hundred pounds of cannabis can fit in the back seat of a car.

On the other hand notice the size of beer trucks needed to transport booze which gets a person way more buzzed.

A person can drink beer, wine or whiskey and get buzzed enough to not even feel the cannabis buzz, it's way more powerful...

Yet the cannabis plant is illegal.

That's wrong.

Yes, they know the risks, yet an inteligent person knows there shouldn't be that risk, to start with.

Government should create that risk.

The risk of being harmed by the law is far greater than the risk of actually being harmed for using the relatively safe, God-given plant itself.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
I dunno GCW. At a pretty cheap price of $10/gram, that's over million bucks of dope. And enough to fill alot of pipes/bongs/joints. Certainly at least the consumption equiavlent of a beer truck.
And one or two drinks of an alcoholic beverages does no more to me than does pot. Maybe less, if the pot is strong enough. It's only large quantities of booze where I'd agree with you that pot comes out ahead. As far as God-Given, well, there's good evidence of people drinking fermented beverages in Egyptian and Sumerian times, maybe as early as 3000 BCE.

Again, I support legalization. But if got caught with that much, given current laws, I wouldn't expect to get off with a wink and a nod.

My car will safely do 120. And there's plenty of straight, flat, empty roads in UT where I could hit that. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't expect a ticket if I got caught.

sicbiker,

sicbiker,

I don't think that's a million bucks of plant material. If it's Mexican it sell for less per pound... If it's the sex starved stuff it sell for more but people that have large quantities don't sell it by the gram... But most likely You know that.

And then We're talking artificial prices due to inflation. If the plant was legalized it would be worth about as much as tomatoes... or imported tea...

I understand the logic; since it is illegal... getting caught doesn't surprise a person to be put in a cage...

Here's another anology;

During the day they were killing the Jews, if You got caught trying to help save them You could be in big trouble and those who took that risk understood the risk, but they knew what was going on was wrong and so what they were doing was right.

There is nothing wrong with doing business with cannabis; it is wrong caging people for cannabis business.

About the car driving down the road at 120mph; ... That's not driving responsibly.

There is no victim when someone responsibly uses, cultivates or sells the plant.

About God-given plant:

Check the very 1st page of the Bible.

-0-

I used to work for Busch in St. Louis. They had a lines that produce 1 million cans of beer a day. 7 lines on a floor and 6 floors (some didn't produce a mil. and some producing bottles that didn't produce a mil.). +Many other breweries etc. Then there are the other breweries, then wineries, distilleries... etc. etc. -but a couple hundered pounds of 100% pure plant material gets a person in a cage???? Not good--- for anybody. Unless a person's job depends on that prohibition; like law enforcement agencies their unions, DA's, prision industries, drug testing industries and their unions etc...

-0-

I'm glad You support legalization. RE-legalization.

I support legalization too. I don't support caging any people for cannabis laws no matter how much plant material it envolves.

A million pounds of cannabis should be legalized. REGULATED, but legalized.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Free Trade. That's what it's about. :)

The Gov can't control pot so they make it illegal to sell or trade. The Gov doesn't care for our health, look at all the OTC and script drugs that F people up more than pot ever could. Drug Co's pay fine and go on their merry way . . . making the next wunderdrug to F people up in a slightly different way. This cycle is endless.

It's okay to sell a drug to get a woodie for hours, despite the side effects .. . . liver damage, dementia, dry mouth, etc. It's okay as long as the gov get a piece of the action.

But, that's life . . . it isn't "fair". Never has been, never will be. . . as "fair" is just another delusion.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
the fact that cannabis is illegal and alcohol ciggs and prescription drugs are legal is disgusting considering how many lives are lost from the legal substances. it just shows laws are not based on morality/reason or public health but simply money. good job america land of the free. what a joke and blatant contradiction.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
the fact that cannabis is illegal and alcohol ciggs and prescription drugs are legal is disgusting considering how many lives are lost from the legal substances. it just shows laws are not based on morality/reason or public health but simply money. good job america land of the free. what a joke and blatant contradiction.

so, it's all or nothing then ? well, we are headed towards banning tobacco; and controlling alcohol is a good start too; you can carry the flag of anti-hypocracy or whatever by abstaining from prescription drugs when they are legally prescribed to you.

I hear a lot of moaning from pot-supporters saying how useful hemp is- but, hey cotton is useful too but I am not surprised that they don't talk about that. The usefulness arguement is a trojan horse.

I hear a lot of moaning about the cost of enforcement; but no one talks about the cost alcohol has on society and peoples lives- we pity the alcoholic on the street-corner but fail to consider his condition is a result of our giving in to the anti-prohibitionists. We have airline pilots showing for work drunk, we have surgeons drunk, it has been suggested drunkeness had contributed to the exxon valdez disater too, and there are plenty of others. We have see and suffered the effects of drunkeness, but lets just put that aside and argue for people to have legal free access to pot now too...that's just selfish pothead musings, they just want to score good cheap dope so they'd be high more often- as if we haven't suffered enough disasters and tragedys from the intoxicated morass