• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 9: Avezzano – Napoli, 214.0k

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who crashed on the final descent?

Krieger (DNF) and Marcellusi.
turns out it was pretty bad crash for Krieger. Marcellusi came away with abrasions, as it looks like so far.

View: https://twitter.com/TudorProCycling/status/1789732697616572465

Although the replay of the crash was shown right after a water bottle was rolling over the street, there was no connection, by the way. It happened around 1 km earlier.

I've been banned for a short while (a naughty grumpy boomer), but I've been kinda shocked that no one has mentioned (here or in broadcast as far as I can remember) the Tudor victim of that Naples crash...

Given his age of 32 years of age, a lead-out man Alexander Krieger may have even had his last pro peloton crash - he was the motionless guy we momentarily caught on screens - a broken pelvis, multiple fractured ribs. Completely shattered - luckily at least conscious when ambulanced off.

While he is just one of those anonymous workers without a single victory in 15-year career, I still think he deserves a mention, sympathy and hearty "Get Well" wishes.

Last edited: