• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro del Trentino 2013

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Lol Nibali has no chance to win the Giro, Henao came 9th last year in his debut and already much better this year, also already you could probably say he is a better climber. I wont be surprised if Sky pack 2 riders in the top 3 and I reckon if Wiggo fails Sky will have Henao to fall back on just like with Froome. As long as Sky have loads of riders left so Henao only has to pull for 2 kms max I see no reason why he cant get a podium with Nibali and Wiggo. Nibali is very consistent but he is not great at any given time so unless they fail badly or have bad luck like today how does Nibali win Giro guys?.

TANK91 said:
Lol Nibali has no chance to win the Giro, Henao came 9th last year in his debut and already much better this year, also already you could probably say he is a better climber. I wont be surprised if Sky pack 2 riders in the top 3 and I reckon if Wiggo fails Sky will have Henao to fall back on just like with Froome. As long as Sky have loads of riders left so Henao only has to pull for 2 kms max I see no reason why he cant get a podium with Nibali and Wiggo. Nibali is very consistent but he is not great at any given time so unless they fail badly or have bad luck like today how does Nibali win Giro guys?.

Nibali wins the giro like he wins all his races, by being aggressive all the way from the start of the race to the end. Alot can happen over 21 stages and Nibali will sure as hell be something that will happen.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I guees now they have to decide who are their giro squad. If Heano, Uran, Porte, Kiryenka, Lopez are slotted for Tour (that's a sick lineup), now they have to figure out who's the right combination for the giro? Sitsou still needs to be more consistent for 3 weeks. 5 days racing, he is superb one day and no where to be found the next day. Cataldo? I didn't see him anywhere. Wondering, who would be one/two of the Tour squad members will earn a double duty to shepherd wiggin in the Giro?

henao and uran will do the giro, has been know since forever :rolleyes:

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
cineteq said:
Skyborgs are beatable!

No question, I hope this ends the stupids threads of who's the better climber.

lol you're funny dude how many secs did Nibbles gain in the Tour on Wiggo and Wiggo had an armchair ride, yet still beat Nibali on Planche de Belles Filles which is not a Wiggo climb. Nibali is a very likeable guy his carear has been brilliant, talk about maximise the tools you have. I just think they are very even in climbs and this climb today does not show Nibali is a better climber overall. Sky will have a much better team in the Giro, Henao will be more of a threat if he is in good shape.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Nibali wins the giro like he wins all his races, by being aggressive all the way from the start of the race to the end. Alot can happen over 21 stages and Nibali will sure as hell be something that will happen.

Do you truly believe that Nibali will win just because of the last day in Tirreno and todays stage did you even watch the Tirreno on the other stages he was not great he basically won it because of 1 bad day by a rival, or do you really believe Nibali was really strong.

icefire said:

endless thanks:)

Setting apart the mechanical issue- Wiggo almost caught the leading group with ease- but literally popped when the steepest segment appeared-he truly struggled on those slopes-just confirming what is going to be his mayor weakness in Il Giro with the constant changes in gradients & not being able to maintain a constant rhythm....

Praises to Nibali- he really fought hard to get this one:)

TANK91 said:
Do you truly believe that Nibali will win just because of the last day in Tirreno and todays stage did you even watch the Tirreno on the other stages he was not great he basically won it because of 1 bad day by a rival, or do you really believe Nibali was really strong.

What I saw was that Nibali was standing at the top step at the podium on the final day of Tirreno.
I do not say that he is the favourite, but you asked how we can possibly think that he can win (as if this was some ridicoulus thing to belive) and that is how he will (possibly) win the race.

What we did get out of this Trentino is that his AStana team is stronger than what most of you predicted. I belive that AStana can make a total carnage at some key stages when they have to, ant that is what Nibali needs to break Wiggo

And yes I do belive Nibali was really strong, he almost dropped Sagan, and had JRod at his knees for quite a while there. Doubt many other riders in the peloton could have done what Nibali did that day in Tirreno

And by the way. Wiggo is no Froome. If there is one Sky captain I belive Nibali has a shot at taking in the high mountians it is Wiggo

Cavendash

BANNED
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:

Like last years Tour?

Honestly though it does look like it will be an entertaining race, still can't see a way Nibali wins though unless Wiggins crashes out.

Cavendash said:
Like last years Tour?

Honestly though it does look like it will be an entertaining race, still can't see a way Nibali wins though unless Wiggins crashes out.

Unlike last year tour there is stages where it is a real possibility to attack + his team is clearly much better this year. Do not underestimate that factor.
His engine does also look to be even better this year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:

So Nibali has won TA (beating Froome among others) and now has won Trentino, beating Wiggins (granted Wiggins did have a mechanical, but I think there's a good chance he would have won regardless); but he has no chance in the Giro? If Nibali has no chance against Wiggins than who does?

And henao may be a massive talent and will surly be a future GT winner, but what has he done this season that says he will be able to contend in the Giro while still working for Wiggins? He got a podium in Pais Vasco and did well in FW and AGR; While Nibali has won TA (against strong competition) and Trentino.
IMO, Nibali is continuing to prove himself one of the number one contenders for the Giro. Definitely just as much a contender, if not more of one, as Wiggins.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
So Nibali has won TA (beating Froome among others) and now has won Trentino, beating Wiggins (granted Wiggins did have a mechanical, but I think there's a good chance he would have won regardless); but he has no chance in the Giro? If Nibali has no chance against Wiggins than who does?

And henao may be a massive talent and will surly be a future GT winner, but what has he done this season that says he will be able to contend in the Giro while still working for Wiggins? He got a podium in Pais Vasco and did well in FW and AGR; While Nibali has won TA (against strong competition) and Trentino.
IMO, Nibali is continuing to prove himself one of the number one contenders for the Giro. Definitely just as much a contender, if not more of one, as Wiggins.

I should have stated it clearer what I mean is no chance v Wiggins not no chance to win the Giro. I can assure you im one of the 1's who likes Nibali and has stuck up for him when people don't think he is as good as JVdB and Gesink. I also said Nibali has done a great carear so far who would of thought he'd have been this successful. I just don't think he can put big time in to Wiggins, History tells us Nibali does not take a lot of time in the mountains and he will have two this year. S.Henao has had a great season at least he was consistent in the whole of Pais Vasco, I did not rate Nibali in the Tirreno. 1 daredevil breakaway did not tell me much.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
TANK91 said:
I should have stated it clearer what I mean is no chance v Wiggins not no chance to win the Giro. I can assure you im one of the 1's who likes Nibali and has stuck up for him when people don't think he is as good as JVdB and Gesink. I also said Nibali has done a great carear so far who would of thought he'd have been this successful. I just don't think he can put big time in to Wiggins, History tells us Nibali does not take a lot of time in the mountains and he will have two this year. S.Henao has had a great season at least he was consistent in the whole of Pais Vasco, I did not rate Nibali in the Tirreno. 1 daredevil breakaway did not tell me much.

You just joined the forum, so we really don,t know your previous support history.:D but nibali has a very good chance to beat w in this year giro. Let race tell the truth in May .

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Wiggo had a mechanical on the penultimate climb as as well according to the ticker and had to chase back on.

Does anyone know if that delay involved a bike change? I'm just wondering if he was already on the spare.

Looking at the video his mechanical happened at about 5:50 where he dropped his position. He was launched on the new bike at 6:20. So while the bike change itself cost him at most 30s, most of the rest of the time loss will be caused by the effort of accelerating, going up alone into the wind, and going into the red in the attempt to latch back.

If not for the mechanical, there was a good chance he could have stuck with Nibali most of the way. I think anyone that says that Wiggins would have definitely been dropped or would have definitely stuck with Nibali is full of crap. There's no way to be sure either way. If I had to guess I'd say Nibali would likely have won and put enough time into Wiggins to take the GC overall and Wiggins would come in slightly behind Santombrogio to take second in the GC, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong and Wiggins had stuck with Nibali to retain the win.

I don't think this changes the Giro odds very much. I still think the most likely scenario would be Wiggins staying on Nibali's wheels most of the way, occasionally losing some time on a few MTFs, but more than make up for the time loss with the ITTs.

TRENDING THREADS