• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia 2016 stage 2 - Arnhem – Nijmegen 190 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From the Clinic discussion referenced, Maxiton favours the XC Skiing sprint approach - shorten and simplify, tour parts of countries only instead of the whole ones to keep total distance down, make races 50-75% shorter in distance.

I'm a curmudgeonly traditionalist who is most fond of the endurance aspect of the sport and finds the similar trend in XC skiing towards reducing the endurance aspect and increasing the amount of short races over short courses to maximise the stadium time (negating the "cross country" aspect of the sport entirely) abhorrent already.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
From the Clinic discussion referenced, Maxiton favours the XC Skiing sprint approach - shorten and simplify, tour parts of countries only instead of the whole ones to keep total distance down, make races 50-75% shorter in distance.

I'm a curmudgeonly traditionalist who is most fond of the endurance aspect of the sport and finds the similar trend in XC skiing towards reducing the endurance aspect and increasing the amount of short races over short courses to maximise the stadium time (negating the "cross country" aspect of the sport entirely) abhorrent already.

I prefer of course long stages and people who are no good for short stages but have a big resilience as Hesjedal.

They should've done an AGR type of stage, very exciting;)

Flat stages belong in a GT as do TT's, uphill sprint, mountains stages,... There's not an awfull lot you can do in the Netherlands and the crowd turned up in great numbers. Atleast you know exactly what to expect in these kind of stages. "Die hard cycling fans" tuning in with 50k to go on a pan flat stage are dissapointed with the outcome. Right....

People giving Kittel stick for doing what he does best, meh.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
pedromiguelmartins said:
What a stupid pathetic stage. I hope the organization burns to the ground. 0 chance of action.

So the useless organization found suitable to start the weekend with a stage that gives 0 chance to attackers, 0 chance to even write a word on the outcome of the race, etc?

Pathetic. Simply pathetic. I feel sorry for everybody that is trying to spread knowledge about how cycling can be great instead of a borefest. If a casual turned on their TVs, they changed the channel in less than 5min. Pathetic.

Sure, let's have mountains every single freaking day for 21 days
Who's talking about mountains? I'm talking about stages where we can have more than 1KM of racing. Otherwise, why bother with the 21 days and 6h per day at all?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:

I had to edit out the parts of your post we can't talk about outside the Clinic.

My position is more fully explained here (which I know you've already seen, but I'll leave the link for the benefit of others who might be interested). I appreciate where you're coming from, and your concerns, but I think I can address them to your satisfaction in the upcoming thread I'm planning. I look forward to getting your further input on it then.

TRENDING THREADS