• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Stage 19: Brescia - Aprica (195km)

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Francois the Postman said:
Szmyd and Basso to support Nibali throughout. I think Liquigas would have been in a better spot than the good one they are now. Speculation, that's all.

Absolute nonsense ! Basso showed his supremacy on every major climb and Liquigas now have a good chance for 1-2 ( 1-3 minimum ) at the end of Giro.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Carn Cadel

Tell you what - there's some aggressive posts on this thread.

Truth be told - it's been a fantastic race no matter who you support. All the boys have worked hard.

But ole cadel. Tis a heavy heart today. Worked his **** off, but just didn't have it. Doesn't make him any less of a man or rider.

Me thinks he did himself and Aus proud.

Well done mate...and I spose congrats to Basso. I just feel a little dirty about congratulating a known cheat. But I spose he won today fairly. well done.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Indeed, Basso was almost 3 minutes ahead of Nibali on Zoncolan. I think it's clear who the better of the 2 was

Uhm, he's only 2.30 minutes back in GC, so you agree that Nibali over all the other stages was factually the quicker rider then? And that is with Nibali looking after Basso, not the other way round. I think that is my point summed up nicely. No, I don't think it is as clear cut as you present it.

Jul 7, 2009
www.dhbc.org.au
Mellow Velo said:
'Cept bullshyte stages and situations are part 'n' parcel of GT's. Once again he has proven himself able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The poor man's Raymond Poulidor.
I ant to ask why so many people are down on Cadel? Typically it's the yanks who are are the biggest haters, followed by the Pom's. I just don't get it. At least he's not a drug cheat like the current leader of this race.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
Froome kicked out of the Giro for holding on to a motorbike, or so my twitter feed informs me.

There's a story up about it now. He was shown off the back just as the telecast began today, but nothing like what is said to have happened or when. The other sanctions are interesting; I never heard the one against Vino, taking food from the car too late in the race, before. Wonder what the rationale is?

It was probably commented on everywhere because it was shown again immediately in slo mo, but Garzelli taking a water bottle and being pulled forward for a few feet by the DS's hand on the bottle from the car was noteworthy, although it doesn't seem to have been sanctioned. Doesn't seem it would help that much or be worth the trouble.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bazza_13 said:
Tell you what - there's some aggressive posts on this thread.

Truth be told - it's been a fantastic race no matter who you support. All the boys have worked hard.

But ole cadel. Tis a heavy heart today. Worked his **** off, but just didn't have it. Doesn't make him any less of a man or rider.

Me thinks he did himself and Aus proud.

Well done mate...and I spose congrats to Basso. I just feel a little dirty about congratulating a known cheat. But I spose he won today fairly. well done.
I agree, he fought well. You can never doubt that.

spanky wanderlust said:
to all of those saying cadel is not good enough: that's silly. cadel is plenty good enough. he just needs a team, 30-50 more flat tt kms and to stop losing time on bullshyte stages and situations.

cadel will always lose this amount of time on a stage like this to guys like basso and nibali in the third week. he just needs tt kms to make it up and stay in contention.

and why oh why did they let that break go and take so much time? real head scratcher.

anyway, cadel has lost a giro he should have won. and if he was ever going to win a gt, this was his shot. too bad for him. still... he put on a terrific show and his result will be pretty good.

otoh, frickin' bomb ride from basso. really great giro win from him. assuming he doesn't bonk or crash. i've really enjoyed this stage and giro in general.
when he has a bonk it shows he is human.
Mellow Velo said:
Evans's team cost him the Giro in the first week, never mind the last.
Had he not been chasing down gaps on the flat, i.e. had some team mates who could be relied upon at the front, not the back of the peloton, he may not have run out of gas, today.

He'll be in a solitary hell, tomorrow.

Better news for the team.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2010/20100528_142545_fin-du-purgatoire-pour-ballan.html
I agree, though trying to old form from January was impossible even though he nearly pulled it off.
Bailey said:
Just heard that Basso did the Mortirolo 8 seconds faster than he did it in 2006. Is anyone able to confirm that? Thanks in advance.

:rolleyes: - what i have been saying throughout te whole entire thread.

Wow... way to troll a race thread, disgraceful.

For a moment there I thought Arroyo was riding himself to the win. That final grind to Aprica does a ton of damage though. Vino also looked good at the top of Mortirolo.

Something will happen tomorrow... It's not going to be a free ride for the Leakies.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
Uhm, he's only 2.30 minutes back in GC, so you agree that Nibali over all the other stages was factually the quicker rider then? And that is with Nibali looking after Basso, not the other way round. I think that is my point summed up nicely. No, I don't think it is as clear cut as you present it.

It is hard to make any conclusion with hypothetical situations.
I think we should just accept the race as it is, for sure nibali could have gained time on the descend, but for sure basso was stronger on the climbs.

Anyway, Nibali looks good for a podium (I really wanna see arroyyo hold on for second though) , which I'm sure he will be very happy with.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Something will happen tomorrow... It's not going to be a free ride for the Leakies.

If the weather is gonna be as horrible as it sounds, this race could have yet another twist in its tail.

If there is even a hint of a snow flake on top of the Gavia I bet the race director will jump at the opportunity to send them over it for sure... twice!

It already is a classic. Tomorrow could make it a legend.

And chances are I will have to postpone watching the final two stages until Monday. :eek: Thankfully cycling news is easy to avoid where I live!

May 20, 2010
Visit site
What amazes me, and others have said this in different ways, is that the whole top of the field have been great; my opinion of all of those guys has gone up. Today some riders were dropped repeatedly but kept coming back. The riders the coverage showed towards the end of the stage, the three in front and the 5 chasers, is the cream of the race. Only Porte was not on camera for pretty much the whole day, and he's doing very well too.

Sure, some are stronger than others, some have more support or better tactics, but how often do the top ten essentially race among themselves, mile on mile, as if the rest of the race had disappeared?

It's got to be the excellence of the course, the difficulty, which is producing this racing. Also the relative parity of the top ten, without a dominant rider with a powerful defensive-riding team.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I really wanna see arroyyo hold on for second though) , which I'm sure he will be very happy with.

Me too, he has shown some real heart over the last few stages, it would be a shame to see him crack tomorrow and lose it all. He fully deserves that spot, especially after that plummet down the mountain today. I already liked him as a rider, but after these three weeks even more so.

I'll ignore the first part of your post, as I agree. It is what I said myself, a speculative question we will never know the answer to for sure. But to say it is as clear cut as some do here seems to me a bit one-sided given the actual times clocked and race behaviour we all witnessed.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It is hard to make any conclusion with hypothetical situations.

Anyway, Nibali looks good for a podium (I really wanna see arroyyo hold on for second though) , which I'm sure he will be very happy with.

Arroyo has done really well defending the jersey but let us not forget he gained a whopping 12 minutes on Basso, Nibali, Evans et al somewhat fortuitously. No doubt he will be very happy if holds out for 2nd (and not the slightest bit embarrassed I am sure).:)

hfer07 said:
Will be 1-2 for sure-believe me: Nibali is going to smoke Arroyo tomorrow & specially in the last ITT.

Basso owes big time to Nibali on this Giro!!

I definitely hope for 1-2 outcome, because 2nd place would be a great reward for Nibali ( and for the whole team ). Funny but true, the best thing that happened to Liquigas was problem with Pellizotti :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sorry for the carry on last night... reading it back some of te statements were a bit over the top and not well thought through. I should not take all the blame but some of it. Evans was not up to it. Period. He is to balme partially along with Sassi as riding the TDU was his biggest mistake. Yes it was good to see him in aus but it has screwed up his form.

My apologies,
ACF94

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
Even if Evans doesn't podium he still takes lots of honour with him from the Giro. He has worn the world champion tricot, the pink and the red very well. He has fought like a true champion and never given up. The image of Evans on the rainy mud etape, leading the final km, sprinting from front and crossing the line first while wiping the mud off the rainbow stripes - That is class. One of the highlights of this race to me.

It is one of the great things about cycling that there are many victories to be won, it is not just one winner and the rest lose. And the race is not over yet! Courage!

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Sorry for the carry on last night... reading it back some of te statements were a bit over the top and not well thought through. I should not take all the blame but some of it. Evans was not up to it. Period. He is to balme partially along with Sassi as riding the TDU was his biggest mistake. Yes it was good to see him in aus but it has screwed up his form.

My apologies,
ACF94

I'm not sure Sassi would have had anything to do with the decision to ride TDU. Wouldn't that have been a decision made by Evans and BMC management?

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree that it was a very absorbing race, really looking forward to today. However, I really cannot agree with those who say that Evans bonked. I am not sure if those suggesting he bonked have actually experienced it but the effects are much more severe than what Evans showed. He only gradually dropped back and eventually got a reasonable rhythm going again. As I see it he was just on the limit for too long and had to recover, I also think there is something else amiss with him. Considering the form he showed earlier in the Giro when he was really strong find it hard to believe that it could have dropped off so quickly. It seems especially on the longer stages and he was pretty weak.

As for all those Evans fans bleating about his program and his team I wish you would shut up you´re much worse whiners than he is.