• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Grab a short black

A

Anonymous

I think it could have been worded a little better, but then again, we mustnt let political correctness rule our lives.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Short black is a idiom for a single espresso. There is also a long black. Do you find "a cup of Joe" also offensive?

it is the silly virtual cafe concept that i don't like,of course i am not offended by any names for coffee!Although since you bring it up.any real cyclist only uses Italian terminology for their coffee. Joke

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Uh, no. Hadn't even crossed my mind that that would be offensive. I think you'd have to be looking awfully hard for controversy to take an interest in that term, especially in the context of "come and join us in the cafe."

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
Short black is a idiom for a single espresso. There is also a long black. Do you find "a cup of Joe" also offensive?

pedaling squares said:
Uh, no. Hadn't even crossed my mind that that would be offensive. I think you'd have to be looking awfully hard for controversy to take an interest in that term, especially in the context of "come and join us in the cafe."

That's kinda my thinking too. I actually had to stretch to think of how this could be taken offensively. Since there is nothing else about it, or around it, or in it, that is suggestive of race (which is the only offensive thing I can think of that the OP might be referring to), my opinion would be that this should not be an issue.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Izzy eviel said:
Tea > Coffee. :p

Me too. Nice Chinese green. But sometimes, just sometimes, it needs to be a double Americano.

I remember getting a regular coffee in Guatemala once - it was about expresso size, and half sugar. Woohoo!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:

If you were referring to Joe Namath's athletic supporter, yes, I would be offended.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Izzy eviel said:
Tea > Coffee. :p

i am in love with lapsong souchong, so much that i am going to tell you more about it.

It is a phenomenal Tea................................only find this in my local area, except for going to Boston
images

It's life a fresh hit off the pipe with every sip :D

Lapsang souchong (拉普山小種/正山小种, literally Small variety from mountain Lap, pinyin: lāpǔshān xiǎozhǒng, Minnan: l a̍p-pho·-san sió-chéng, Cantonese: làaipóusàan síujúng) is a black tea originally from the Wuyi region of the Chinese province of Fujian. It is sometimes referred to as smoked tea (熏茶). Lapsang is distinct from all other types of tea because lapsang leaves are traditionally smoke-dried over pinewood fires, taking on a distinctive smoky flavour.

The name in Fukienese means "smoky sub-variety." Lapsang souchong is a member of the Wuyi Bohea family of teas. The story goes that the tea was created during the Qing era when the passage of armies delayed the annual drying of the tea leaves in the Wuyi hills. Eager to satisfy demand, the tea producers sped up the drying process by having their workers dry the tea leaves over fires made from local pines.

Lapsang souchong from the original source is increasingly expensive, as Wuyi is a small area and there is increasing interest in this variety of tea.

High grade lapsang souchong possesses a taste of dried Longan for the first few brews.

Lapsang souchong's flavour is strong and smoky, similar to the smell of a campfire or of Latakia pipe tobacco. The flavour of the pine smoke is meant to complement the natural taste of the black tea, but should not overwhelm it.[citation needed]

Tea merchants marketing to westerners note that this variety of tea generally produces a strong reaction - with most online reviews extremely positive or strongly negative.[citation needed]

Tea connoisseurs often note that Formosan lapsang souchong typically has a stronger flavour and aroma, the most extreme being tarry souchong (smoked, as the name implies, over burning pine tar).

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
That 'Grab a short black' comment under the 'Cafe' title, really makes me cringe.Does anyone else feel the same?
I cringe because: what's a short black? Isn't that just an espresso? Either I'm clueless or someone else is.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I prefer to order a cappuccino when I order a coffee, but that's just me. And sure it's café instead? ;):p

(sorry, I can't help being a smart **** sometimes :D)

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I know that this is an old thread, but as a new member I find it interesting. I'm assuming that the problem is in the linguistics rather than hate. As Americans, there are plenty of examples that our language is American and not exactly English. Like:
We would never say that someone made a "cheeky move" which sounds like something that would be done in the "loo".
We don't worry about getting hit by a "Lori" or any other girl.
You're not likely to find "blood pudding" on our menus.
A Brit who orders a "banger" in the US might get more than he bargained for.
We only use a "punter" on fourth down and long yardage.
If I was warned of "dicey" weather outside, I wouldn't know what to expect.
Though I also cringe with the use of the term "short black", I'll make allowances as long as we can all agree on what a football game is.

Mine's a café con hielo.

And the problem in the linguistics is similar to when Phil Liggett used the word "colored" in the Tour coverage - in some places that's an acceptable, politically correct term designed to avoid causing offence, whereas in others it is a highly loaded and offensive term in its own right. If the coffee terminology is not the same everywhere you go, then a term like "short black" might be thought to be offensive by those who don't realise what it's referring to, or do realise but are not familiar that this is an accepted term.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, in South Africa, the word coloured is just an expression for a mixed race person or black person and I did not find it at all offensive till someone mentioned it here.

Political correctness has a place but unless it is overtly offensive, I don't think it is a problem and people definitely have the tendency take it too far (the KFC Australia ads a couple of years ago being an example).