• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gray Jersey!

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Grey Jersey

I think Jens Voit's suggestion of a "Grey Jersey" is a fantastic one. We seem to be fascinated with young riders. What about all those riders that are older but choose to stay fit & compete.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The gray jersey needs to be wool made into one of those ugly, retro designs with a band of color on the chest. Maybe it could come with a leather hairnet. Black socks would be disallowed, and black bibs would be mandatory.

And the wearer would also have to carry a spare inner tube around their shoulders

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if they should maybe do a domestique of the day prize, kind of like the most aggressive rider prize. It would be nice to see lead-out men and guys who bury themselves to chase down a break getting some recognition. I'm sure the Giro would be up for it, they are always looking for more prizes to award.

Chris Horner

Chris Horner
now
definitely the leader for this gray jersey category

- Lance & Jens watch out!

Jamsque said:
I wonder if they should maybe do a domestique of the day prize, kind of like the most aggressive rider prize. It would be nice to see lead-out men and guys who bury themselves to chase down a break getting some recognition. I'm sure the Giro would be up for it, they are always looking for more prizes to award.

They somewhat had a best domestique competition in the giro a few years ago (I think 2006). The rider who carried the most bottles in one attempt got a bottle of wine for each bottle of water.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The gray jersey needs to be wool made into one of those ugly, retro designs with a band of color on the chest. Maybe it could come with a leather hairnet. Black socks would be disallowed, and black bibs would be mandatory.

Jamsque said:
And the wearer would also have to carry a spare inner tube around their shoulders

And champagne (straight from the bottle) and nicotine on the Champs d'Elysees.

BroDeal said:
Did anyone who is not Italian really understand the Intergiro?

I'm not Italian and I got it... well, sort of. Basically, they treated an intermediate sprint like it was the end of the stage, and took the time from there. So if you were two minutes ahead of the péloton, you'd gain two minutes on everybody in the Intergiro classification, but you'd be caught before the stage win. But they seemed to only put in a small number of riders and seconds each way, so they probably did something weird to try and make it more competitive.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
powderpuff said:
In 2003 they had an overall jersey in the TdF which was won by Stuey O'Grady. A special jersey for the Centennial.

They had a GC for the 6 stages with the original 6 stage finishes but no jersey

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Magnus said:
They had a GC for the 6 stages with the original 6 stage finishes but no jersey
There were several special awards at the end of that Tour; I remember a Spanish rider being called on the stage on the Champs-Elysees. He was completely mistified about why or what exactly he had won.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
El Oso said:
They somewhat had a best domestique competition in the giro a few years ago (I think 2006). The rider who carried the most bottles in one attempt got a bottle of wine for each bottle of water.

Now this is just amazing. I can picture guys arguing with their DS through the window of the team car, saying 'No, one more, I can take one more if I grip it between my chin and my neck! I just saw Jens Voigt go past carrying three extra bottles by juggling them as he rode. Give me one more bottle, I WANT THAT WINE DAMMIT!'