• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Green Jersey Update - Thoughts?

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Sagan's to lose. A fantastic start.

Who do you think can possibly challenge Sagan?

Kittel won't.

I was thinking Coquard is a possible. Greipel? Kristoff? Demare? Kwiatkowski? Degenkolb?

Clutching at straws here!

As long as Kittel won't sprint for intermediate points he won't have a chance, as his max will be 315 (270 if he gets dropped on the last hill on stage 19). Both years Sagan has won have been with more than 400 points and I think he will reach that at least again.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
The only way Sagan lose this is if he crashes and gets injured or gets ill.

Yep. This is were the little Coquard is being a clever boy, if he can keep playing the intermediate sprints and keep doing TOP5s at the finish, all he needs is Sagan catching a flu or crashing at some point and boom, he could bring back the green jersey !!!

Unlikely, but still, I don't understand why Kittel doesn't do them.

To me the point table needs a change, it looks a bit like a formula 1 table where lots of points are given. on a flat stage the fifth gets half as many points as the winner ! Instead of being 45/35/30/26/22/20/18/16/etc all the way to the fifteenth place, it should be something like 45/30/20/15/12/10/8/6/5/4/3/2/1. Because today someone like Coquard gets more points finishing 4th twice than winning a stage. There should be a victory premium.

PoolhouseDave said:
What are your top 3 predictions guys?

For me it would be:

1 SAGAN
2 COQUARD
3 KRISTOFF

Anyone have any other suggestions and thoughts on Top 3?

If Kittel wraps up all the flat stages which he may well do on this form then he should finish top 3, although not contesting the intermediates could hurt him. Coquard also will be in there but both way behind Sagan.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I think we will have Sagan around 400+, Kittel around 300 and Coquard just below that 300 line (if he can finish the tour, never a certain thing for a first timer).

veji11 said:
Yep. This is were the little Coquard is being a clever boy, if he can keep playing the intermediate sprints and keep doing TOP5s at the finish, all he needs is Sagan catching a flu or crashing at some point and boom, he could bring back the green jersey !!!

Snipped..

A picture can lie, but not much in this case:
315-RTR3XHEC.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Really a shame Kittel won't go for it. Really don't get why he doesn't care about it. It may be mostly about taking stage wins for him but why can't he also go for green while getting stage wins? It's another achievement to accomplish, another win, another chance to be on the podium; just doesn't make sense to me.

Glad to see Coquard trying for it though. A great talent that kids is.

Afrank said:
Really a shame Kittel won't go for it. Really don't get why he doesn't care about it. It may be mostly about taking stage wins for him but why can't he also go for green while getting stage wins? It's another achievement to accomplish, another win, another chance to be on the podium; just doesn't make sense to me.

Glad to see Coquard trying for it though. A great talent that kids is.

If Sagan has no competition for green he might leave the stage wins for Kittel? If Kittel starts challenging for green, he could stir a more competitive Sagan which could lead to more challenging sprints. As it is, Kittel is pretty much unopposed on the flat finishes. Sagan is not interested in stage wins - his only goal (he says..). is green. But if Kittel starts to eat into his intermediates, he might change his tune.

It also means Kittel can save his energy for one push by missing them out.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I always wish when watching the Tour (or any cycling race) that more prestige was given to the minor jerseys. I think the winner of the Green jersey should at least get more prize money. I think right now you get more for getting 5th overall than for winning the green jersey.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
argyllflyer said:
If Sagan has no competition for green he might leave the stage wins for Kittel? If Kittel starts challenging for green, he could stir a more competitive Sagan which could lead to more challenging sprints. As it is, Kittel is pretty much unopposed on the flat finishes. Sagan is not interested in stage wins - his only goal (he says..). is green. But if Kittel starts to eat into his intermediates, he might change his tune.

Sagan still will have to go for the other points in the stage finishes. And he knows that. He can't beat Kittel, but he can take 2nd/3rd/etc. and get points for them.

And I wouldn't say he's not interested in stage wins. He definitely will be going for them in addition to green. Sagan would be slightly disappointed I think if he ended his Tour with green but no stage wins.

argyllflyer said:

You cannot be serious here. For sure he cares about the stage victory and probably more than for green. :D

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
veji11 said:
To me the point table needs a change, it looks a bit like a formula 1 table where lots of points are given. on a flat stage the fifth gets half as many points as the winner ! Instead of being 45/35/30/26/22/20/18/16/etc all the way to the fifteenth place, it should be something like 45/30/20/15/12/10/8/6/5/4/3/2/1. Because today someone like Coquard gets more points finishing 4th twice than winning a stage. There should be a victory premium.

That looks like taylor made for Rojas

SKSemtex said:
You cannot be serious here. For sure he cares about the stage victory and probably more than for green. :D

He said it himself on Saturday (I think). All he wants to do is pick up points for green. Not saying he won't compete sprints and try to win if the opportunity presents, but he's not going to burn matches trying to best Kittel if he can ensure he finishes 2nd.

Sagan on Saturday: "I'm satisfied with the stage result. Kittel did a great sprint, he was the strongest, but I finished on the podium wearing the white jersey and I took important points for the green jersey, my goal for the Tour de France.

Sagan on Sunday: "I know there are other good chances for me and I'll look for these. Stage 5 on the cobblestones is intriguing, as well as other mixed stages. I want to do well on these days as well as to take points for the green jersey. I'm happy that I took (the maillot vert) today, but I know all too well that the road to Paris is long.

“I'm sure my contenders (for the green jersey) won't let me relax. In addition, there are no easy stages at the Tour de France; there's always a lot of stress in the peloton and dangers due to the competitiveness (within the peloton). As I stated before, to win the green jersey is something I need to build day by day."

He's not interested in trying to win the flat stages at the cost of green.

argyllflyer said:
He said it himself on Saturday (I think). All he wants to do is pick up points for green. Not saying he won't compete sprints and try to win if the opportunity presents, but he's not going to burn matches trying to best Kittel if he can ensure he finishes 2nd.

Sagan on Saturday: "I'm satisfied with the stage result. Kittel did a great sprint, he was the strongest, but I finished on the podium wearing the white jersey and I took important points for the green jersey, my goal for the Tour de France.

Sagan on Sunday: "I know there are other good chances for me and I'll look for these. Stage 5 on the cobblestones is intriguing, as well as other mixed stages. I want to do well on these days as well as to take points for the green jersey. I'm happy that I took (the maillot vert) today, but I know all too well that the road to Paris is long.

“I'm sure my contenders (for the green jersey) won't let me relax. In addition, there are no easy stages at the Tour de France; there's always a lot of stress in the peloton and dangers due to the competitiveness (within the peloton). As I stated before, to win the green jersey is something I need to build day by day."

He's not interested in trying to win the flat stages at the cost of green.

All this quetes say nothing about his extreme will to win the stage. He is just very realistic about his changes to win the stage "mano a mano" with Kittel.

I am sure he knows that green without the stage win is FAILURE. :D