• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Guys to watch in the Ardennes Classics

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gilbert can win L-B-L,there's no question he has a good chance,form coming along nicely,WC stripes on his chest to give him added confidence.How many times has he pictured himself winning Liege in the rainbow jersey? Can't be written off IMHO,his form isn't as far away as some people think and that's not down to today's result,reckon he only scratched from RVV to make sure he was spot on for next week.

AGR can probably be a whole lot different than it has been the past years.

Lets say that Sagan is on the others wheel up the cauberg, every other contender (valverde included) would have to attack and go solo to beat him, who will be fresh enough to attack after the top? Would anyone go as far as to keep some powder dry, hang on sagans wheel and hope he chases down the first guy over the top, and then launch the counter-attack?

If someone else goes over the top first, will Sagan be able to close the gap after the hill or will he be too deep into the red to contest?

Biggest question is - How much of an effort will the cauberg be for sagan? Last year he looked pretty damn spent at the top, but how is his capacity now, compared to lasy year?

Shardi said:

Lets say that Sagan is on the others wheel up the cauberg, every other contender (valverde included) would have to attack and go solo to beat him, who will be fresh enough to attack after the top? Would anyone go as far as to keep some powder dry, hang on sagans wheel and hope he chases down the first guy over the top, and then launch the counter-attack?

If someone else goes over the top first, will Sagan be able to close the gap after the hill or will he be too deep into the red to contest?

Biggest question is - How much of an effort will the cauberg be for sagan? Last year he looked pretty damn spent at the top, but how is his capacity now, compared to lasy year?

Well, if all the teams insists on playing the placement card and wait for Cauberg, Sagan will win the race pretty easily and with little contest.

How many brave DSs do we have these days?

Shardi said:

well sagan was clearly out of form during the WC, while Gilbert was in his primary of the season. Now Sagan is in top form, or very close to it. So you do the math. Just a small hint, Sagan went on cauberg 2 times. In the spring, he ended 3, and that even without the 2km of flat after it. If you compare the other results from last spring to this year's, there's only one answer. It will take hell of an effort to drop Sagan on the Cauberg. Who would be the one acomplishing what seems to be mission impossible now?

Parrulo said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=60974

dunno if this has already been posted but it's confirmed quintana will ride all 3 ardennes classics.

i wonder how movistar will race with 3 riders capable of winning these races, particularly AGR and LBL.

i think the best way to do it would be having valverde saving himself following wheels and quintana and costa attacking from further away.

Movistar is the team that could light up the AGR show. All the cards on hand and if played others will follow.

Valverde can get 3rd on his own anyway.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=60974

dunno if this has already been posted but it's confirmed quintana will ride all 3 ardennes classics.

i wonder how movistar will race with 3 riders capable of winning these races, particularly AGR and LBL.

i think the best way to do it would be having valverde saving himself following wheels and quintana and costa attacking from further away.

Valverde and AGR doesn't go together, he never really performed there for whatever unknown reason.

i think the edition that stefan won was his best result.

tomorrow said:
well sagan was clearly out of form during the WC, while Gilbert was in his primary of the season. Now Sagan is in top form, or very close to it. So you do the math. Just a small hint, Sagan went on cauberg 2 times. In the spring, he ended 3, and that even without the 2km of flat after it. If you compare the other results from last spring to this year's, there's only one answer. It will take hell of an effort to drop Sagan on the Cauberg. Who would be the one acomplishing what seems to be mission impossible now?

I mean last years AGR not the RR. Sagan was absolutely dead atop the cauberg
last AGR. But as you say looking at the results preceeding AGR this year and 2012 its clear that Sagan looks better equipped for cauberg this time around.

625676_10151558509829873_261885331_n.jpg

Dear JTL, time to start your winning streak of 7 LBLs ;)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I hope Purito wins, it suck's that he's at that age were he probably has this year and next year to really win big race's. I wish he was 30 and not 33 lol.:D

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind JTL but for Sky Porte is riding the Ardennes and he certainly can hold his owns on the hills. Especially I see him featuring in Liege.

Henao was disappointing last year but he seems in great form and Uran is another someone to consider.

Froome is another dark horse for Liege which he is indeed riding.