• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hamilton gone for 8 years

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
joe_papp said:
I read Rendell's "The Death of Marco Pantani" over the course of a couple of days. Holy smokes. I was surprised how the author contended that putting Pantani back on the bike actually HASTENED his death. When at athlete is facing true mental illness, riding as anything on than exercise and therapy (as opposed to brutal, euro-pro competition!) was made to sound like a recipe for speeding up the process of self-destruction.

That's probably a valid analysis: "hastening the process of self-destruction." Because it too becomes a drug...

Alpe d'Huez said:
Landis ...apparently broke, his wife divorced him against his wishes,...

Was there any ever public coverage of the divorce or speculation as to what the final straw was? I remember his wife in '06 at least putting on a highly-effective front as the super-supportive spouse. Of course it could have just been a huge front, but that kind of stuff (public relationship during period of great stress) is always weird...

whiteboytrash said:
I hope he ends up OD'd, half masted, in a cheap hotel room with some low grade smack and a picture of Riis's bald scone next to him.
You're harsh. Go for a long ride today and burn some of that off. Sheesh.

"McAnus" now that's funny! And well, it seems appropriate too!

As to Floyd's downward turn. I don't know about "public" announcements, few. Mostly just picking things up off other sites and boards, trying to sift through the fact from fiction and running with what seems to be consistent or fairly reliable sources. His lack of performance this year obviously speaks for itself. Though I understand he's going to be marked every mile of every course.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
I don't. I hope he ends up OD'd, half masted, in a cheap hotel room with some low grade smack and a picture of Riis's bald scone next to him.

There are French riders out there who are finishing top 20 at races who don't get anywhere near the publicity scumbag Hamilton gets.

Do you realise that there are people in poor nations who actually need EPO and can’t afford it ? and losers like Hamilton was injecting it up like water. He should have donated all that gear he used to the poor. Then he'd get my sympathy.

Good riddance.

FFS! He took drugs to win bike races. He's not Robert Mugabe or Pol Pot. Get a grip.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
I don't. I hope he ends up OD'd, half masted, in a cheap hotel room with some low grade smack and a picture of Riis's bald scone next to him.

There are French riders out there who are finishing top 20 at races who don't get anywhere near the publicity scumbag Hamilton gets.

Do you realise that there are people in poor nations who actually need EPO and can’t afford it ? and losers like Hamilton was injecting it up like water. He should have donated all that gear he used to the poor. Then he'd get my sympathy.

Good riddance.

Your a joke deadset.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
joe_papp said:
FU! "Good riddance?" Same to you.

Whatdoya expect from a guy named 'whiteboytrash'? He's not even smart enough to know Tyler was never busted for EPO..never took it, it was blood doping..you know, adding blood to your blood.

This is bike racing fercrissakes..not world peace. He has bigger problems than what kind of jersey he's going to wear when he rides a BICYCLE. I hope he survives his demons. Nobody should die alone.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
WBT has achieved what he wanted. He just likes to poke and prod until he says something controversial enough to invoke a series of responses to justify his existence. Like now.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Pietro said:
Whatdoya expect from a guy named 'whiteboytrash'? He's not even smart enough to know Tyler was never busted for EPO..never took it, it was blood doping..you know, adding blood to your blood.

I rest my case.

Whiteboytrash because he's always right !!!!!! :p:p:p

So he never took EPO ? Why are you so stupid ?
________

Original article in spanish:
http://www.elpais.es/articulo/depor...r/Hamilton/elppordep/20060626elpepidep_6/Tes/

El Pais turned its attention away from Spanish cyclists in its first big article on Monday, "The transfusions and the dollars of Tyler Hamilton". In September 2004, Hamilton tested positive for a homologous blood transfusion after winning the time trial at the Vuelta a España. He also returned a positive A sample for a homologous transfusion after winning the Olympic games time trial a month previously in August. His B sample was inadvertently frozen, and no result could be determined from it. Although he is still in possession of his Olympic gold medal, he was stripped of his Vuelta stage win and suspended until September 22, 2006, despite appealing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

According to El Pais, the documents seized by the Spanish civil guard during Operacion Puerto show that Hamilton was not as innocent as he claimed. It's alleged that he not only received blood transfusions, but also a full doping program involving EPO, anabolics, growth hormone and IGF-1.

The paper claims that among the files of Dr Eufemiano Fuentes and Jose Merino Batres, are some details of Hamilton's financial dealings in 2002 and 2003, including a copy of a fax sent to his wife Haven to a hotel in Gerona, where he lived. On the fax, it's shown that he had paid €31,200 with €11,840 still owing: €35,000 was for the medical program, and €8,040 was for the medication.

The doctors' files allegedly consisted of two pages. In the first, a calendar of the racing season is laid out from November to October, with the races that the rider wanted to do well in being marked along with the medication that he should take. The markings were in the so-called "Sanskrit of Eufemiano", a notation system of substances, doses, and procedures. Before the 2003 season, Dr Fuentes indicated that Hamilton should start taking EPO from December 21, with 2000 units daily, up until Christmas Eve, and then on alternate days until January 9. On the 14th of January, before his first training camp with CSC, he was instructed to withdraw blood. On January 24, he was to start with anabolics. In March, after racing had started, he was to take HMG - a hormone used by menopausal women - to mask the anabolics, as well as taking growth hormone and insulin.

The second page of the file allegedly showed that he won Liège-Bastogne-Liège six days after a double transfusion of blood, won the Tour de Romandie shortly afterwards, and prepared for the Tour by not racing in May and taking anabolics and EPO. He then raced only the Dauphiné Libéré in June - completely anonymously, and didn't even start the final stage. At the time, he claimed to be suffering from stomach problems all week, but El Pais alleged that according to Dr Fuentes files, it was during another period of blood extraction. In the final lead up to the Tour, he was to take more growth hormone and re-infuse the blood, as well as doing so on the first rest day of the race.

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I can get some of what Hamilton is feeling now. But, believe it or not, lots of people have cared for a dying parent and juggled a divorce at the same time without going to the dope card. It kind of reminds me of the scene from "Airplane" with Lloyd Bridges in the control tower. "I guessed I picked the wrong time to quit using ...(fill in your drug of choice)"

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
We all like to raise our heroes up on our shoulders when they are winning. The minute they fail or falter it becomes time to feed them to the sharks. Tyler and Floyd are people with families and friends. They have both been punished and deserve a chance to live their lives.
I don't know Tyler and have met Floyd a few times. He is different know then when I first met him. Still a good guy, only much more guarded.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
That's probably a valid analysis: "hastening the process of self-destruction." Because it too becomes a drug...
I've heard Graham Obree saying similar things about his mental health problems. "Flying Scotsman" thoroughly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS