• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Hamilton wins sports book of the year !

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
did Tugboat get a special mention?

toot toot.

What about his twin? The chimera? Lyler Hamilton.

tanning beds will give you skin cancer Hamilton
widget_d7QhFC5zvjljzmvX3YxjE-.jpg

Here is the crux with Tyler's book

It will be a good book (confess I have not read it yet) that lifts the lid on what went on in cylcing

However he will be an ex-doper making good money out of selling his story, perhaps he should donate the proceeds to charity

I will wait for cheaper paper back version before purchasing or try second hand

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
del1962 said:

It will be a good book (confess I have not read it yet) that lifts the lid on what went on in cylcing

However he will be an ex-doper making good money out of selling his story, perhaps he should donate the proceeds to charity

Got any proof of this? Do you have any idea what % an author gets for a book? A co-author? You really think he predicted it would sell this well?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
del1962 said:
??????????

An author usually gets a payment up front - so he would have got that regardless of sales, then a % of profits. But he's not the author, so the author royalties are split between Coyle and Hamilton.

If the book is $20, and the typical royalty is being paid ~4-10%, that's 0.80c - $2/book, split between the 2 authors, not counting discounted sales, etc.

Your complaint is Hamilton is making good money.

I doubt it.

I look forward to you demanding JV pay his salary to charity, as he is in exactly the same position: earning good money thanks to his doping as a professional cyclist.

del1962 said:

I made sure I didn't let money flow from me to him for reading the book, as I've been a victim of dopers of his generation.
However we can acknowledge he did do a more than average job on the book, and clearly it wasn't written overnight. The fact checking and legal stuff to cover or let out cost a lot of effort on his part. A job in itself. Unfortunately still a job made possible by rising to fame by doping use, and then falling out of grace over the same.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I don't think he could have anticipated that it would sell so well. Also, the book was co-authored. He won't be making all that much money.

And so what if he's profiting from selling his story? If a mafioso got out of the mob and published a tell-all book or sold his story to a movie producer, would people be complaining that he's profiting from a life of crime?