• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Has Cavendish got porky?

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Just watched Alby win the Comm Games RR and as Cav came across the line he looked a bit fat. 41degrees in Delhi (that's freaking hot to our non-metric friends) so maybe that is the explanation? Or is it too many pies?

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
He did look like he had gone out of shape a tiny bit. However he was the marked man all throughout the race and especially in the last lap everyone was making it particularly hard for him. The heat may have had an affect on him however i think the fact that everyone was targeting him and Australia was the only nation that had 2 riders in the final group led to Alby winning and Cav getting dropped.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
well surely he was in good shape for the world champs (I know he didn't finish) so he'd really have to be hitting the comp buffets to get out of shape in a week! :p

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
He was riding for the isle of man with no team to speak of with the rest of the peloton avoiding a sprint finish with him in it.

He never really looks that thin in comparison to many other riders.

Case closed.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
I thought cav rode well, and it was a great race considering the circuit.Awesome ride by Dave Mcann.Pity England were so anonymous

Agree about Dave McAnn, poor ****** should have been gifted with some kind of award for his riding, I couldn't believe he stood the heat and was still driving at the end of after leading the whole race.. who'd have the legs to go with Alby after that!
Maybe see him in a Euro team next year???

S2Sturges said:
Agree about Dave McAnn, poor ****** should have been gifted with some kind of award for his riding, I couldn't believe he stood the heat and was still driving at the end of after leading the whole race.. who'd have the legs to go with Alby after that!
Maybe see him in a Euro team next year???

No chance of that in my opinion. He'll be 38 years old next year and eventhough he wins quite a bit of 2.2 stages he's not really that much better than a young and promising rider who still has the potential of developing into something great.

Machu Picchu said:
well surely he was in good shape for the world champs (I know he didn't finish) so he'd really have to be hitting the comp buffets to get out of shape in a week! :p

I didn't see what he looked like during worlds but he did drop out several laps before many other sprinters I think so perhaps he had started indulging in the buffets even earlier. Or it could simply be that he just looks more pudgy than other riders depending on who you compare him to.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Well he is quite the little short round.

pic134699652_600.jpg

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Elegant Degenerate said:
He was riding for the isle of man with no team to speak of with the rest of the peloton avoiding a sprint finish with him in it.

He never really looks that thin in comparison to many other riders.

Case closed.

I've always thought Cav looks short. So that could make him look a little chubby if he even put a few pounds on. Anybody know how tall he is off the top of their head??

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
timeismonkey said:
I've always thought Cav looks short. So that could make him look a little chubby if he even put a few pounds on. Anybody know how tall he is off the top of their head??

5ft9 according to wikipedia and weighs 69kg yup definitely porky :rolleyes:

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
No chance of that in my opinion. He'll be 38 years old next year and eventhough he wins quite a bit of 2.2 stages he's not really that much better than a young and promising rider who still has the potential of developing into something great.

Yeah, you're right... it was a nice thought and a gutsy ride, but I didn't realise he was that old... Still, chapeau to him!

TRENDING THREADS