• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Horizon BBC2 30th Jan

iPlayer Link
The truth about exercise. The reporter, Michael Mosley, was trying to discover how exercise affects people. A couple of things that were tested were one relating to insulin and one relating to VO2.
He improved the insulin indicator by about 20%. However, there was little difference in his VO2.
The interesting thing is that the researchers had done a genetic profile on him and they predicted that he would be a non-responder with regard to VO2.
It occurs to me that this could explain why some people are better responders to EPO than others.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
I think I saw this same program about a year ago. It just goes to show that training for long durations is not always necessary for health and in many cases sports performance either.

I'm glad it shows that due to genetics not everyone can increase VO2 easily, natural talent is so important in sports despite what some uninformed people feel.

LeakyBoat said:
iPlayer Link

The interesting thing is that the researchers had done a genetic profile on him and they predicted that he would be a non-responder with regard to VO2.
It occurs to me that this could explain why some people are better responders to EPO than others.

I do not see how this in anyway explains why some people are better responders to EPO, some people respond better than others yes but I did not see what anything in this program suggests this may be the case. Unless you mean it shows we are all different as some are better suited to gaining more from exercise than others and often respond to the same things differently?

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
There has been a fair bit of evidence to suggest that high intensity exercise is better for fat loss and keeps lean tissue more than longer duration easier exercise. It may also be of more benefit to type 2 diabetes patients by increasing insulin sensitivity more than lower intensity exercise.

I'm just throwing this out there and am too busy or lazy to go look up all the studies that I have read on the matter but it is fascinating stuff.