• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How CQ game chat impacts race threads

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what it is and I don't care but it's getting really f'n annoying all the whining and talking about this game in race topics. I for one don't care at all whose riders you have or don't so pls talk about it in here and talk about the races in the race topics

edit: I already see there is a topic for it so pls then talk about it in there.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
to be fair, in the whole thread of omloop there was maybe a handful of posts (out of what 900). Think you're being really dramatic here, you have the ability to simply look past these posts you know, cannot understand why it would upset you so. Your colombian hype posts are pretty annoying too, but I'm not complaining

That being said, I really don't mind personally keeping the posts to the CQ thread only, in fact I suggested it a while ago (because at that point, almost every post was relating to it, was a bit much. But tonight... err no).

I sometimes support riders because they are in my cq team.

You support riders because they are Colombian.

If you want to forbid people from occasionaly mentioning cq (and i participate in the same threads as you so i know how rare it is) then create a seperate thread for your patriotism as well.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I sometimes support riders because they are in my cq team.

You support riders because they are Colombian.

If you want to forbid people from occasionaly mentioning cq (and i participate in the same threads as you so i know how rare it is) then create a seperate thread for your patriotism as well.

This.

I picked my CQ team largely to include riders I like. Not all of my favorites, but I stayed away from guys I genuinely don't want to do well.

I don't see the difference between cheering for a guy because he's on my team for that game or cheering for him because he's a guy I'm a fan of... because they're the same guys.

Now talking about points and the impact on the game... yeah, that should be out of a race thread. But saying... "Go Boom, go get me some points!" is no different from saying "Henao! Look at how great those Columbian climbers are!"

Cmon, Ryo, as much time as you spend here, you honestly expect us to believe you'd never noticed the CQ sticky thread that's been at the top of the forum for weeks now?

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, disregard the posts that annoy or don't interest you. A typical race thread may have hundreds of posts and maybe 10 cq mentions - nothing wrong with that.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
ahhhh... I wish I were playing the CQ game... :(
But I noticed too late that the register for the game had finished...

Your colombian hype posts are pretty annoying too

Well I think that all those hype post are quite annoying... not only the colombian hype but Sagan, EBH, etc... I know that I hype some riders too but I dont create threads for each of them...

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If you ask Hugo nicely he might let you join, seeing as your at a big disadvantage anyway, then you can just try to break even or something.

Ye I was thinking the same... also I just want to be part of it just for fun... :D I'll take a look to the post and ask him "nicely" something like

"Hey Hugo let me in or... I'll post this pics you know..." :cool:

Ryaguas said:
Ye I was thinking the same... also I just want to be part of it just for fun... :D I'll take a look to the post and ask him "nicely" something like

"Hey Hugo let me in or... I'll post this pics you know..." :cool:

The problem I dont know if its possible to count your score from february onwards.

Maybe if you did something like, not buy anyone whos scored over 100 points.

Which shouldnt be difficult. Youd miss out on your avatar, but only 43 riders have scored 100 points so far, out of over 500 picked, so shouldnt be too bad.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Just a quick thanks to everyone today, for respecting the race and enjoyment of others enough, and keep fantasy CQ game chatter to minimum when the racing (really) got underway.

I can see why it will annoy some, but as long as people use their head and know what races have far too many non-players in attendance to let CQ discussions detract from the real race thread purpose, and show a good sense of when to mention it, and when to drop it -and when it really is time to hand over the race thread to the race only- it should be a ball we can juggle with too.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
Now talking about points and the impact on the game... yeah, that should be out of a race thread. But saying... "Go Boom, go get me some points!" is no different from saying "Henao! Look at how great those Columbian climbers are!"

To a point. I bet that if you had a prolific poster here who mentioned his fantasy league at work a lot in race threads, and who did that for every race, it wouldn't be welcomed by some who don't mind it now, because this time they are part of it. If there was a bunch of his work colleagues too, and they did it as well, it would quickly become a bit much for most.

Fantasy games create additional indirect race excitement for a shadow race that only a few are part of. The riders aren't even part of it! They might lend someone a helping hand in the race because they are Columbian too, but Langeveld won't ride a bit faster because he ain't on Hitch's team, but everyone else's.

The real race is what everyone is part of. The CQ one is a shadow race with a different story-line at play. One that can be diametrically opposed to what everyone is witnessing in the actual race. To be confronted with it during a race can be alienating to people who are "in the moment", and part of, or there for, the main attraction only.

Since just about every race has CQ consequences, and the popularity of it amongst some of our more prolific posters, we will be monitoring the impact of it, on race threads.

Think before you post. And no, "mentioning the CQ game consequences (for you or others)" is not the same as "mentioning that someone is Columbian". One comments speaks to all posters and readers. The other only speaks to a part of the thread audience. Don't lose sight of that.

Francois the Postman said:
Just a quick thanks to everyone today, for respecting the race and enjoyment of others enough, and keep fantasy CQ game chatter to minimum when the racing (really) got underway.

I can see why it will annoy some, but as long as people use their head and know what races have far too many non-players in attendance to let CQ discussions detract from the real race thread purpose, and show a good sense of when to mention it, and when to drop it -and when it really is time to hand over the race thread to the race only- it should be a ball we can juggle with too.

+1 I found it not at all distracting today. I get that it was probably annoying for some of the early season races that didn't have live coverage and therefore nothing for us to viscerally react to other than results, but I feel like we're all cycling fans first, and fantasy game players somewhere distinctly below that, so that won't be the norm. I don't see commenting on it as less legitimate than cheering for someone because of nationality, team, or because you bet on them, all of which people do, sometimes to a much greater degree, on this forum. It'd be great if everyone purely appreciated riders based on their skill and cheered for them because of that, but that's not the case and this is pretty great too. Unless it starts to hijack threads, I think we all just need to be respectful and realize that different people have different stakes in races.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I have renamed the thread as we have a CQ discussion thread already, and this thread seems to be discussing the game's existence more than the point consequences of the game.

I might move this thread to the About the Forum area in a few days, but I will keep it here for now so it gives everyone a chance to get things of their chest without it getting in the way of the race thread or the CQ game thread itself.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The problem I dont know if its possible to count your score from february onwards.

Maybe if you did something like, not buy anyone whos scored over 100 points.

Which shouldnt be difficult. Youd miss out on your avatar, but only 43 riders have scored 100 points so far, out of over 500 picked, so shouldnt be too bad.

I already sent him a PM with the team... that in case that his answer is positive... I dont have problem with start in 0 points... I just want to have fun and be part of it =D

Ryaguas said:
I already sent him a PM with the team... that in case that his answer is positive... I dont have problem with start in 0 points... I just want to have fun and be part of it =D

Point is he uses the 2011 database to update the scores, so it would be difficult to start you off at 0.

Out of interest could you post your team btw.

No one is going to copy you ;)

Out of curiosity, did people also find the Prediction Game we had during 2009 to also be annoying? I seem to remember there being a lot more comments in race threads related to that game than there has been comments about the CQ game in any race thread yet this year.

it's true that it's quite annoying to find everywhere "oh i got him in my cq team hooray!" or "shiit too bad i don't have him in my cq team" and so on.i'm in this game too but let's just keep it in that thread.

anyway,this game would have been a lot more funnier if there were some money involved(ex:every player to put 10 dollars,the winner takes all)...i guess that would make the forum explode after every race:D

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Out of interest could you post your team btw.

Sure no prob... I picked up very quickly and I think that I missed some riders... I wanted to pick Contador and Riccó but we know what is going on with them...

BOONEN Tom 777
BOS Theo 182
CUNEGO Damiano 659
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres 181
GASPAROTTO Enrico 284
HAUSSLER Heinrich 251
KASHECHKIN Andrey 84
RUJANO GUILLEN Jose Humberto 261
SICARD Romain 174
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan Mauricio 47
URAN URAN Rigoberto 410
ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor 952
KISERLOVSKI Robert 368
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose 0
BASSO Ivan 984
DEIGNAN Philip 5
VANDE VELDE Christian 90
STYBAR Zdenek 9
KONOVALOVAS Ignatas 180
ARVESEN Kurt Asle 24
DOWSETT Alex 10
VAN GARDEREN Tejay 531
FEILLU Brice 70
DI LUCA Danilo 113
HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus 7
SOLARI Luca 5
KREUZIGER Roman 839

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
jaylew said:
Cmon, Ryo, as much time as you spend here, you honestly expect us to believe you'd never noticed the CQ sticky thread that's been at the top of the forum for weeks now?

Anyway, as has already been mentioned, disregard the posts that annoy or don't interest you. A typical race thread may have hundreds of posts and maybe 10 cq mentions - nothing wrong with that.
no Honestly I don't most topics I never even look into and I quickly posted this as in omloop topic it really annoyed me after a while. my apologies if it was overdone but I've been noticing lots of these posts lately.

Ryaguas said:
Sure no prob... I picked up very quickly and I think that I missed some riders... I wanted to pick Contador and Riccó but we know what is going on with them...

BOONEN Tom 777
BOS Theo 182
CUNEGO Damiano 659
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres 181
GASPAROTTO Enrico 284
HAUSSLER Heinrich 251
KASHECHKIN Andrey 84
RUJANO GUILLEN Jose Humberto 261
SICARD Romain 174
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan Mauricio 47
URAN URAN Rigoberto 410

I find it interresting that the first 11 people you picked are listed alphabetically, and the one thing they have in common is that they were all picked by me ;)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I find it interresting that the first 11 people you picked are listed alphabetically, and the one thing they have in common is that they were all picked by me ;)

Ye... I take a look to the teams looking for my favorite riders or some riders that I had in mind also to dont have to search in the BIIIIIIG list cuz the command "search" wasnt working in that sheet IDK why, you have the most of my list... so I took them then I took others riders and I put them alphabetically... but I started to make changes also thinking in the CQ$, and those 11 were the core, also when I was sending the PM to Hugo I did more changes... That is the list that I sent to Hugo... this is the list organized:

ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor
ARVESEN Kurt Asle
BASSO Ivan
BOONEN Tom
BOS Theo
COBO ACEBO Juan Jose
CUNEGO Damiano
DEIGNAN Philip
DI LUCA Danilo
DOWSETT Alex
DUARTE AREVALO Fabio Andres
FEILLU Brice
GASPAROTTO Enrico
HAUSSLER Heinrich
HERRADA LOPEZ Jesus
KASHECHKIN Andrey
KISERLOVSKI Robert
KONOVALOVAS Ignatas
KREUZIGER Roman
RUJANO GUILLEN Jose Humberto
SICARD Romain
SOLARI Luca
SOLER HERNANDEZ Juan Mauricio
STYBAR Zdenek
URAN URAN Rigoberto
VAN GARDEREN Tejay
VANDE VELDE Christian

I feel bad... I couldnt take other riders that I really like... I think that I did this list thinking too much in the GTs...

TRENDING THREADS