• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How Long Before Delusional Phil Is Asked About Wonderboy

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TheBean said:
I think people should give PL a break.

His job is to provide a live play-by-play during races. That's it. He is employed by a company that broadcasts in the USA and maybe elsewhere.

During the LA years, cycling grew in popularity in the US at an incredible rate. Like it or not, a LOT of people made a LOT of money during the LA years and LA is almost singlularly responsible for that. The entire industry prospered from his popularity.

Had PL chosen to trash-talk LA prior to the confession, he would have ****ed off a lot of people and likely been canned.

I have enjoyed PL's reporting since I first heard him in 1987's Paris-Roubaix broadcast. I still enjoy his input, though I admit is seems Sherwin does more andmore to correct him as he is nowhere near as sharp as he used to be.

No matter what he truly believes, he's a broadcasting legend in the late autumn of his career.

If someone doesn't like his take on things, they can always turn the TV to mute and find some coverage on the radio to play along with the TV coverage.
Please, not only was Phil Liggett a semi-pro in his day (he gave up to go into media) he was actively commentating for:

'08 TdF (Ricco, Mayo, Piepoli, Schumacher, Kohl)
'07 TdF (Rasmussen, Vino)
'06 TdF (Landis)
'98 TdF (Festina)
'94 Fleche Wallonne (The Gewiss Farce)
'87 TdF (Roche)
'88 TdF (Delgado)

and more.

He knew exactly what he was watching. While sitting next to a former pro the whole time.

TheBean said:
I think people should give PL a break.

His job is to provide a live play-by-play during races. That's it. He is employed by a company that broadcasts in the USA and maybe elsewhere.

During the LA years, cycling grew in popularity in the US at an incredible rate. Like it or not, a LOT of people made a LOT of money during the LA years and LA is almost singlularly responsible for that. The entire industry prospered from his popularity.

Had PL chosen to trash-talk LA prior to the confession, he would have ****ed off a lot of people and likely been canned.

I have enjoyed PL's reporting since I first heard him in 1987's Paris-Roubaix broadcast. I still enjoy his input, though I admit is seems Sherwin does more andmore to correct him as he is nowhere near as sharp as he used to be.

No matter what he truly believes, he's a broadcasting legend in the late autumn of his career.

If someone doesn't like his take on things, they can always turn the TV to mute and find some coverage on the radio to play along with the TV coverage.

How has this gone unanswered. 2 months after USADA ligget went on a pro appartheid radio station in rsa to say that he had proof the entire case against La was fabricated by "jealous" people who couldn't handle the fact that lance won clean while their "favourite riders like ullrich" had to dope.

When Landis and Hamilton made public their confessions ligget went out of his way to enforce omerta and leading the pogroms against them. His response to Hamilton's accusations was to smugly announce that Hamilton got found cheating so thankfully ekimov will get the Olympic gold medal.

he also openly lied about when he saw lance claiming not to have seen him in years when livestrongs own website was uploading videos of him and lance together at livestrong events from a few weeks before.

Even if one falls for the bs that ligget didn't know what was going on his behavior is still inexcusable. He took it upon himself to destroy the lives of innocent people in defence of Armstrong. If he was too stupid to realize that several epo positives, after the fact tues and confessions from riders and sougneurs was a sign of doping, then that Is just as bad, because he forced other people to pay the price for his stupidity.

By what right did he make himself judge juror and execusioner. To think that one look into Armstrong's eyes gave him enough confirmation tht lance was clean to allow him.to go after the people that had proof he wasn't. Scum of the worst kind. The way he shrugged off the whole thing after he was forced to accept Usadas ruling is another example of this. If he had really been duped he should be begging everyone for forgiveness and personally apologize to his victims and to the fans. Instead he decided he was going to continue as judge and jury as if nothing had ever happened, declaring which riders in the peloton are now clean ( again the Anglophone ones) as if he had not been catastrophicaly wrong for the last 10 years.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
How has this gone unanswered. 2 months after USADA ligget went on a pro appartheid radio station in rsa to say that he had proof the entire case against La was fabricated by "jealous" people who couldn't handle the fact that lance won clean while their "favourite riders like ullrich" had to dope.

When Landis and Hamilton made public their confessions ligget went out of his way to enforce omerta and leading the pogroms against them. His response to Hamilton's accusations was to smugly announce that Hamilton got found cheating so thankfully ekimov will get the Olympic gold medal.

he also openly lied about when he saw lance claiming not to have seen him in years when livestrongs own website was uploading videos of him and lance together at livestrong events from a few weeks before.

Even if one falls for the bs that ligget didn't know what was going on his behavior is still inexcusable. He took it upon himself to destroy the lives of innocent people in defence of Armstrong. If he was too stupid to realize that several epo positives, after the fact tues and confessions from riders and sougneurs was a sign of doping, then that Is just as bad, because he forced other people to pay the price for his stupidity.

By what right did he make himself judge juror and execusioner. To think that one look into Armstrong's eyes gave him enough confirmation tht lance was clean to allow him.to go after the people that had proof he wasn't. Scum of the worst kind. The way he shrugged off the whole thing after he was forced to accept Usadas ruling is another example of this. If he had really been duped he should be begging everyone for forgiveness and personally apologize to his victims and to the fans. Instead he decided he was going to continue as judge and jury as if nothing had ever happened, declaring which riders in the peloton are now clean ( again the Anglophone ones) as if he had not been catastrophicaly wrong for the last 10 years.

Thank you Hitch. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Kingsley A said:
Thing that always gets me is on the rare occasions that you get Sherwin commentating with someone else or alone he does a half decent job. It seems that Ligget drags him down to his level.

Agreed- I often think that Sherwin would like to take the commentating to a higher level by citing details from other races on the calendar but is held back by Phil and probably the TV producers and sponsors.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:

Yep, exactly. How anybody can take anything he says seriously is a mystery to me. For any experienced cycling fan that knows their stuff, the guy is nothing but a comedy routine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts