• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many high category races will Dan Martin win?

So how good is this kid? Seems to be getting better and better. One days & week long races. Seems to take bit of time to react to an attack on a hill (2012 notice) but such a talent. Who can I hope to be a negative suck in this regard. Surprise me(a French film director once said-in a different language,obviously). So, danny martin. Nephew of the blood roche. Rides in the same, often haunched position. Pleasure to watch guys; damn the uci points placement system,says he

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
gooner said:
Well he is progressing well and I think he now has the ability to win any of the Ardennes classics as well as Lombardy.

With Grand Tours he is capable of winning stages just like he did at Covatilla in the Vuelta last year. His chances of a good overall position though would be severely hampered by his weakness in time trialling.

Interestingly Jonathan Vaughters when he was on the forum said that his time trialling has improved significantly and he will surprise people with it this year. We just have to wait and see here in the future.

he wont win agr.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
I can see him being Garmins top 10 rider at the tour this year.

I can't see it based on this:

Vuelta a España, Stage 10 : Salamanca - Salamanca I.T.T. (47 km)
1. MARTIN Tony THR 55'54"
98. MARTIN Daniel GRM 06'05"

Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 : Grenoble - Grenoble I.T.T. (42.5 km)
1. MARTIN Tony THR 55'27"
90. MARTIN Daniel GRM 04'52"

Giro d'Italia, Stage 21 : Verona I.T.T. (15 km)
1. LARSSON Gustav Erik SAX 20'19"
54. MARTIN Daniel GRM 01'23"

Vuelta a España, Stage 20 : Toledo - Toledo I.T.T. (26 km)
1. MILLAR David GRM 35'53"
38. MARTIN Daniel GRM 02'07"

Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré, Stage 4 : Bourg-lès-Valence - Valence I.T.T. (42.4 km)
1. GRABSCH Bert THR 51'26"
99. MARTIN Daniel GRM 05'01"

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:
He will certainly be at the Tour at this year. It would be a travesty if he was ignored again this time.

I'd still rather the guys who are more suited to the classics and short tours stick there, than burn themselves out at an event that just doesn't suit them.

He is good, he need more luck.

He is currently one of the best at hilly clasic. Won Lieje and was two years ago better than Purito in Lombardía, he lost the race to let go Zaugg.

It was a pitty his fall in the Worlds.

Maybe a Grand Tour is too much for him, but I am not sure, he has a big endurance in one day, he could be better in the day by day, but he is good as well anyway.

Hesjedal is very similar, he has maybe a little more endurance for a third week and he is better in the ITT...

ferryman said:
He is one of the top guys now. I doubt he will be given an inch by anyone.

Grand Tour guy's like Froome, Nibali or Contador might not chase him since they'll take minutes out of him in a TT. Rodriguez etc will though. I don't see him being given much rope in week long races though when even a few seconds could decide the GC.

ferryman said:
He is one of the top guys now. I doubt he will be given an inch by anyone.

Yes and no. If Martin is chasing a GT stage at the same time a GC rider is trying to resurrect his race with a stage win then he won't be allowed to attack but if he goes stage hunting early in the second week when the contenders are navel gazing he might be allowed to go.

Week long stage races with mountains and minimal TT and hilly classics - forget about it, Martin won't be allowed to budge, he's a legit big gun now.

TRENDING THREADS