How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

  • More than 6 (vino level)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
Carols said:
You mean getting dragged by FABU RIGHT???? While the yellow jersey had 3 punctures and Alberto was Held up by Frank's crash and a flat tire? That stage right?
and what? it was cobbles. A lesser draft and all that jazz. there, either you have a craft of cobble traction either you get dropped. and no cancellara will be able to salvage, if you are bad at riding on pavé. Andy proclaimed himself as one of best world cobble specialists back then.generally, if Hush weren't there, andy could have won the stage. :) ;)
 
airstream said:
and what? it was cobbles. A lesser draft and all that jazz. there, either you have a craft of cobble traction either you get dropped. and no cancellara will be able to salvage you. on that day Andy proclaimed himself as one of best world cobble specialists back then.generally, if Hush weren't there, andy could have won the stage. :) ;)
What the fvck lmao, you set a new standard of trolling

Edit: Hesjedal is the best cobble specialst by your word then, he finished ahead of Andy
 
airstream said:
and what? it was cobbles. A lesser draft and all that jazz. there, either you have a craft of cobble traction either you get dropped. and no cancellara will be able to salvage you. on that day Andy proclaimed himself as one of best world cobble specialists back then.generally, if Hush weren't there, andy could have won the stage. :) ;)
:confused::confused:
 
airstream said:
and what? it was cobbles. A lesser draft and all that jazz. there, either you have a craft of cobble traction either you get dropped. and no cancellara will be able to salvage, if you are bad at riding on pavé. Andy proclaimed himself as one of best world cobble specialists back then.generally, if Hush weren't there, andy could have won the stage. :) ;)
It's getting more and more ridiculous :D
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
airstream said:
and what? it was cobbles. A lesser draft and all that jazz. there, either you have a craft of cobble traction either you get dropped. and no cancellara will be able to salvage, if you are bad at riding on pavé. Andy proclaimed himself as one of best world cobble specialists back then.generally, if Hush weren't there, andy could have won the stage. :) ;)
Ohh my :D:D
 
greenedge said:
I think he could win more than 6. AC is still young and if he can still win a TDF like Evans from last year he could definelty win Giros'/ Vueltas' the year after.
Yes he is young and you may be right. But I suspect that some riders will start to provide stiffer opposition. But don't ask me for names ! Just because a rider is succesful when he is young it does not mean he will continue to win in his thirties. At the moment he shows no signs of going backwards of course.
 
May 27, 2010
5,376
0
0
Contador usually does 1 GT a year and or sometimes 2. But what is for sure is that he will make sure he will win at least one GT every year.
In every year since 2007 he has managed to win at least one GT.
(ignoring the removal of results)
 
Aug 23, 2012
1,114
1
0
Contador wont win more than three GTS in the rest of his career. In 2013 will reach six years in the cusp of the Grand Tours. Contemplate the history. Armstrong was seven years on the top and probably he could be more but remenber that Lance only focused in the TDF. Indurain six or seven too. Laurent Fignon the same (yes, he had an injury but didnt conditioned extremely his career) Is the law of the nature. In spite of Contador was out one year due to the sanction he has performed five uploaded seasons. Riding Tour-Vuelta, Giro-Tour, competing in one week races, vasts calendars. Also as i said two days ago seems that is coming the best generation of climbers and GT riders of the decade. Appears new rivals, the young riders, Sky... Old friends like Andy Schleck... Of course fans will say NO. But the history is the history. And Contador will continue in the highest level two years more as much.
 
Jul 13, 2012
342
0
0
Jason_Mercier said:
Contador wont win more than three GTS in the rest of his career. In 2013 will reach six years in the cusp of the Grand Tours. Contemplate the history. Armstrong was seven years on the top and probably he could be more but remenber that Lance only focused in the TDF. Indurain six or seven too. Laurent Fignon the same (yes, he had an injury but didnt conditioned extremely his career) Is the law of the nature. In spite of Contador was out one year due to the sanction he has performed five uploaded seasons. Riding Tour-Vuelta, Giro-Tour, competing in one week races, vasts calendars. Also as i said two days ago seems that is coming the best generation of climbers and GT riders of the decade. Appears new rivals, the young riders, Sky... Old friends like Andy Schleck... Of course fans will say NO. But the history is the history. And Contador will continue in the highest level two years more as much.
I love this post! Contador only has two years left? Any reason why two? Could make it one or three if you want?? So two years for Alberto to win some more GT's although Evans didnt peak till his 30's? Is there any reason he would decline instantly after turning 31?:confused:
 
Aug 23, 2012
1,114
1
0
I think its clear:
"In 2013 will reach six years in the cusp of the Grand Tours. Contemplate the history. Armstrong was seven years on the top and probably he could be more but remenber that Lance only focused in the TDF. Indurain six or seven too. Laurent Fignon the same (yes, he had an injury but didnt conditioned extremely his career) Is the law of the nature. In spite of Contador was out one year due to the sanction he has performed five uploaded seasons. Riding Tour-Vuelta, Giro-Tour, competing in one week races, vasts calendars. Also as i said two days ago seems that is coming the best generation of climbers and GT riders of the decade"

Cadel Evans never was one of the GT rider references until 2007. The Cadel Evans who all know appeared in 2007, this level have lasted 5 years. Contador will reach the next year 6 seasons in the cusp.
 
Jul 13, 2012
342
0
0
Jason_Mercier said:
I think its clear:
"In 2013 will reach six years in the cusp of the Grand Tours. Contemplate the history. Armstrong was seven years on the top and probably he could be more but remenber that Lance only focused in the TDF. Indurain six or seven too. Laurent Fignon the same (yes, he had an injury but didnt conditioned extremely his career) Is the law of the nature. In spite of Contador was out one year due to the sanction he has performed five uploaded seasons. Riding Tour-Vuelta, Giro-Tour, competing in one week races, vasts calendars. Also as i said two days ago seems that is coming the best generation of climbers and GT riders of the decade"

Cadel Evans never was one of the GT rider references until 2007. The Cadel Evans who all know appeared in 2007, this level have lasted 5 years. Contador will reach the next year 6 seasons in the cusp.
Interesting viewpoint.You may be proven right but i doubt it.Contador has had some enforced absences in the six years you mention.Couldn't say off the top of my head how many months it is cumulatively he's been missing but he's comparatively a lightly raced rider,so not sure you could say he always rides "vast calendars" It strikes me that the general consensus is that Contador won the Vuelta without enough competitive racing miles in his legs,undercooked or whatever the expression is and many a wise judge are saying (most notably Graham Jones on ITV Vuelta coverage) that he could be in frightening form come next July.
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
Telmisartan new said:
Contador equals 7 Grand Tour wins
Froome equals Anatomic Jock Race win

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpH2GB43xT0
What does blindness have got to do with that? We are discussing how many GT's more will be won by Contador, not whether he won 5 (7) GT's or not. I asked my question, having implied strength on the road, in other words I'm trying to base on the level of what we saw from them. What's the point to compare Contador's palmares with they guy who have only competed for a year on the highest level? Or if you position these 7 titles like the only working unbeaten argument, why the hell the thread was started, if no one can win but Contador?
 
Jul 13, 2012
342
0
0
Your a clown,you indulge in a very simplistic form of baiting/trolling that doesnt interest me,i am not prepared to have a serious discussion with someone that constantly spouts rubbish and who i have not one iota of respect for.As far as i can see, your here to play to the crowd,you can safely assume i will not be speaking to you again.This forum has some interesting people on it who i enjoy listening to and who can educate me but you are not one of them.
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
clowns are all who see nothing but 7 titles but still ope the thread apparently to enjoy from how many people to vote for 6+ and who can't handle other opinions. if you had something to reply, you wouldn't have acted like that, but you have nothing. yep, unipolar world is sweet, but life is different.
 
Oct 27, 2009
38
0
0
airstream said:
What does blindness have got to do with that? We are discussing how many GT's more will be won by Contador, not whether he won 5 (7) GT's or not. I asked my question, having implied strength on the road, in other words I'm trying to base on the level of what we saw from them. What's the point to compare Contador's palmares with they guy who have only competed for a year on the highest level? Or if you position these 7 titles like the only working unbeaten argument, why the hell the thread was started, if no one can win but Contador?
If he is fit and heathly no one will beat Contador, not Andy Schleck or team Sky, Wiggo or Froome are no where near his level.

Consider this the man did not race for 6 months, 6 MONTHS with no real racing in his legs. Yet he was still able to win the Vuelta. Team Sky with Wiggo and Froome are in for a very very hard time in next years Tour. Really no way Sky will beat Contador. As for your question he could proberly win 4 to 5 more grand tour's, at least.`

Take for example the 2011 Giro, if team Sky had been there would they have beaten AC. Would they f*ck, Wiggo or Froome would have been blown away by Contador. Wiggins won the 2012 Tour de France and well done to him. He was the strongest rider there no question.

Next season lets see if he can do it again, lets see enough said from me.
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
Horizon27 said:
If he is fit and heathly no one will beat Contador, not Andy Schleck or team Sky, Wiggo or Froome are no where near his level.

Consider this the man did not race for 6 months, 6 MONTHS with no real racing in his legs. Yet he was still able to win the Vuelta. Team Sky with Wiggo and Froome are in for a very very hard time in next years Tour. Really no way Sky will beat Contador. As for your question he could proberly win 4 to 5 more grand tour's, at least.
you exalt suspension while not mentioning about freshness whatsoever. is it objective, what do you think?

it's an utopian idealism. a rider is good to the extent his opponents let him to be good, if a day. and what will you say if let's assume he will lose? that he's not 'healthy and fit" lol? and then who will recall unfit and unhealthy ex kenyan guy, who was slowly dying in the third week of the vuelta and finished the fourth?? correct, no one. and sometimes i feel like it's needed to be rooted for just out the interest of what fans will cook up and whom they will accuse.

based on 2 last seasons i consider froome to be the strongest gt rider and that would be very hilarious to be called a hypocrite or a hater as people likes to do on here.
 
airstream said:
you exalt suspension while not mentioning about freshness whatsoever. is it objective, what do you think?

it's an utopian idealism. a rider is good to the extent his opponents let him to be good, if a day. and what will you say if let's assume he will lose? that he's not 'healthy and fit" lol? and then who will recall unfit and unhealthy ex kenyan guy, who was slowly dying in the third week of the vuelta and finished the fourth?? correct, no one. and sometimes i feel like it's needed to be rooted for just out the interest of what fans will cook up and whom they will accuse.

based on 2 last seasons i consider froome to be the strongest gt rider and that would be very hilarious to be called a hypocrite or a hater as people likes to do on here.
The last 2 seasons

Froome: 2nd Vuelta, 2nd Tour
Contador: 1st Giro, 1 st Vuelta, 5th Tour

Seriously?
 
Panda Claws said:
The last 2 seasons

Froome: 2nd Vuelta, 2nd Tour
Contador: 1st Giro, 1 st Vuelta, 5th Tour

Seriously?
Well to be fair it is:
Froome: 2nd Vuelta, 2nd Tour, 4th Vuelta (by 10 min)
Contador: 1st Giro, 1st Vuelta, 5th Tour (by 3:57)

Froome was overcooked by stage 12 of Vuelta
Contador was undercooked until stage 15 of Vuelta. He won on superb race reading and very good (not great) legs in Stage 17 on Fortitude and Willpower.

Froome learned a lot; I won't sell him short. I want to see a match up when both are on full form on a balanced parcours! Alberto will dance away from him and keep going :)
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
Panda Claws said:
The last 2 seasons

Froome: 2nd Vuelta, 2nd Tour
Contador: 1st Giro, 1 st Vuelta, 5th Tour

Seriously?
as i see, 4th place in the vuelta is discreetly missed out. ok. but froome was obviously the strongest rider in those two races.

contador was undercooked the whole race and won because of purito's day.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
0
0
airstream said:
as i see, 4th place in the vuelta is discreetly missed out. ok. but froome was obviously the strongest rider in those two races.

contador was undercooked the whole race and won because of purito's day.
Contador won because he showed guts, never give up. And winning a GT means consistency, btw without boni sec Contador was ahead anyways ;)
 
May 14, 2010
5,310
2
0
I voted more than six. Alberto Contador Velasco is arguably the most talented GT rider ever, next to Merckx. Nowadays riders are competitive on the far side of 35, and there's no reason to assume Contador will be different.

Given his age, his talent, and his passion for racing, I think six more GT victories for Alberto is a pretty conservative estimate. Since I'm not all that conservative, I went with more than six. If he keeps racing, he keeps winning, for quite a few years to come.

EDIT: He might get popped for something that will cut his career short; my prediction obviously requires that this not happen.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY