• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
hrotha said:
He barely won this one. It's not like winning a GT is easy, even for someone like Contador.

True but somehow Contador always ends up nr.1 at the end of the GT. Something you just can't deny.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Agreed without a doubt. I think he underestimated both Purito and Valverde; he won't do it again :) That plus the parcours and race rust contributed to a Fierce Battle. And a Great Show for us! Having worthy opponents only makes him try harder; but never mentally break.

Underestimated them? I wonder how he did that :rolleyes:

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
i didn't change my opinion. 1. the giro or the vuelta in 2013. he has choice. probably there are camps: fans (who never vote for less than 4) and people who treat the rider with no redundant enthusiasm and think that in the vuelta contador showed not a few weaknesses. :)

You think he will ride Giro or Vuelta in 2013? Definately not the Giro, Riis was unhappy that he did it last year, but cut Contador some slack because there was a chance of Contador been banned from doing TdF. And we saw what happened in TdF, he performed like ****. Next year it will be all in for TdF. Vuelta might be a possibilty but then he will have the tour in his legs which will make it harder to win the Vuelta.

Miburo said:
True but somehow Contador always ends up nr.1 at the end of the GT. Something you just can't deny.
I don't deny it. I just find it unreasonable that people are always expecting MOAR. If he were to never win another GT again, it's not like that would be a massive fail on his part or anything. Whenever someone wins two GTs, or two big classics or whatever, someone will inevitably ask how many more will come after that, when he'll win all five monuments, or what records he'll obliterate. The implication being that if he falls short of those unreasonable predictions, he'll have done poorly.

I don't like that sort of thing.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
It's a pretty simple question.

Maybe in the comments be a bit precise in which GT's exactly he'll still win.

I think he'll still have 5/6 years on a high level. The last year he always stopped racing after the tour, that should benefit him when he's getting older, he doesn't overrace it.

I think he'll win a GT each year without bad luck, he can even win more than 1 in 1 year.

I'm going to say 7.

In the previous 6 years he won 7 GT's, so yeah it's possible

It is possible but incredibly unlikely considering he will be waning sooner or later and the level of competition has increased.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Based on his past racing against them he didn't think they were real threats IMO...but his own weakness, Puritos growth as a GT rider and Valverde's maintaining his form for 3 weeks were things he didn't expect. All IMO of course.

True but I was asking how that was visible in this Vuelta

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
joaquim's and alex's underestimation conforms to the way how the race unfolded very badly. then it comes out that alberto started the race keeping in mind the only worthy rival froomy? :) froome turned out to be put-out after stage 13 yet, so... i'm assuming the thought that he possibly wouldn't drop purito on the long ascents already hit contador after gallina, but he just continued to say: "i'm getting stronger. wait more and more fireworks". it's his game. as far as i remember he says this in any gt since the 2008 giro. :)

Falken said:
You think he will ride Giro or Vuelta in 2013? Definately not the Giro, Riis was unhappy that he did it last year, but cut Contador some slack because there was a chance of Contador been banned from doing TdF. And we saw what happened in TdF, he performed like ****. Next year it will be all in for TdF. Vuelta might be a possibilty but then he will have the tour in his legs which will make it harder to win the Vuelta.
no, he'll try the tour surely. but tour is very hard first of all for the reasons that are not welcomed to tell about on this forum section. yes the 2011 giro was purely a necessary measure. the giro interests riis exceptionally in the context of giro-tour double.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
I don't deny it. I just find it unreasonable that people are always expecting MOAR. If he were to never win another GT again, it's not like that would be a massive fail on his part or anything. Whenever someone wins two GTs, or two big classics or whatever, someone will inevitably ask how many more will come after that, when he'll win all five monuments, or what records he'll obliterate. The implication being that if he falls short of those unreasonable predictions, he'll have done poorly.

I don't like that sort of thing.

Sporza is good at that with Boonen and Phil lol. After every victory from Boonen so far they've asked him about his next big goal(which is the WC at this moment).

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
People are over-rating Froome. He was battling it out against Vincenzo Nibali for crying out loud. Even in a bad day Contador can climb faster than Nibali.

He was a year without competition, so that's why he struggled, but he'll be in super form right now. Looking forward to the rest of the season. I'm sure Froome will become a big rival of him in the future, but don't act like he's a super man.
I think he'll do the Tour-Vuelta next year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I think he could win at least 3 more, its difficult to predict which ones though because of so many things that can happen in a gt to ruin a riders chances. The next couple years I think he will just focus on the tour though and try to get the number up to 5 tour wins. And at some point in the future I think he might go after the triple crown again if the parcours of the 3 races suit him well.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
that was in the 2011 giro which doesn't mean 'currently' and all the more so doesn't mean 'always'.

He climbed 10 seconds faster as Nibali on the Bola del Mundo. And he wasn't having a super day there.

Froome19 said:
True but I was asking how that was visible in this Vuelta

Before race: "Froome showed last year that he could have won the Vuelta, where he had the freedom to do so," Contador told his official website. In this year's Tour de France he showed a spectacular performance and proved that he was the strongest. I think Froome comes [to the Vuelta] with a goal to win, and he will be a tough competitor to beat."

After 7 days:
Contador said he had noticed that this had been an exceptionally tough first week of the race, “with really hot weather and average speeds of 44 or 45 kmh. And [Chris] Froome is a very tough rival, he was arguably the strongest in the Tour and he’s got a great team. He’s going to be difficult to beat.”

I can't find the one where he says something like paraphrasing from memory:

I've ridden many times against Purito and Valverde; I know them. But Froome is the one I don't know and he looks very strong.

IMO it wasn't until Froome was starting to fade that he turned his attention to Purito....

give the public what it wants

Geraint Too Fast said:
Have you ever created a thread without a poll? :p

wish i knew how to.........geraint.........do you not know either?

it's a tough call.............alberto looks in great shape but multiple gt's are real tough

remember indurain looked as though he would go on.............and on in the tour

and just pulled over............no more

i voted 1...........it's bound to be more........i'm always wrong

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Before race: "Froome showed last year that he could have won the Vuelta, where he had the freedom to do so," Contador told his official website. In this year's Tour de France he showed a spectacular performance and proved that he was the strongest. I think Froome comes [to the Vuelta] with a goal to win, and he will be a tough competitor to beat."

After 7 days:
Contador said he had noticed that this had been an exceptionally tough first week of the race, “with really hot weather and average speeds of 44 or 45 kmh. And [Chris] Froome is a very tough rival, he was arguably the strongest in the Tour and he’s got a great team. He’s going to be difficult to beat.”

I've ridden many times against Purito and Valverde; I know them. But Froome is the one I don't know and he looks very strong.

IMO it wasn't until Froome was starting to fade that he turned his attention to Purito....

All that is true, but none of it changes the fact that he only focused on Froome for the early skirmishes, where he would have never been close to making inroads into Purito anyway. In the high mountains he fully realised the threat of Purito and aside from on Stage 17 he could do nothing about it.

Carols said:

After 7 days:

Post ITT:
“I really wanted to win the stage, but it’s a good result all the same,” Contador said at the finish. “It’s always good to have an advantage over direct rivals like [Chris] Froome.”

Can't find the one I'm looking for but this should be enough to indicate he was focusing on Froome (the strong unknown) until Froome was fading....

IMO he thought he could take Purito until Purito's showing in the high mountains.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:

After 7 days:

My take on it is that Contador never counted on Valverde and Purito doing such a good time trial. He probably calculated that he would take at least one and half/two minutes on them in the ITT, and that he wouldn't get dropped by them in the mountains. With Froome on other hand Conta probably saw it as a possibility that he could lose half a minute/minute, considering Froome's super impressive ITT in the tour and the olympics. And Froome's climbing in TdF and early on in the Vuelta was really strong.

Froome19 said:
All that is true, but none of it changes the fact that he only focused on Froome for the early skirmishes, where he would have never been close to making inroads into Purito anyway. In the high mountains he fully realised the threat of Purito and aside from on Stage 17 he could do nothing about it.

Exactly see my last post :)

He underestimated Purito until after the Asturian stages...then it was like Wow this guy is trouble I need to do something about him....what to do? result stage 17, Epic!

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Falken said:
My take on it is that Contador never counted on Valverde and Purito doing such a good time trial. He probably calculated that he would take at least one and half/two minutes on them in the ITT, and that he wouldn't get dropped by them in the mountains. With Froome on other hand Conta probably saw it as a possibility that he could lose half a minute/minute, considering Froome's super impressive ITT in the tour and the olympics. And Froome's climbing in TdF and early on in the Vuelta was really strong.

This, I don't think anyone expect Rodriguez and valverde to be as good as they were in the TT.

TRENDING THREADS