• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How many more GT's will Contador win?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

How many more GT's will Contador win?

• More than 6 (vino level)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Falken said:
My take on it is that Contador never counted on Valverde and Purito doing such a good time trial. He probably calculated that he would take at least one and half/two minutes on them in the ITT, and that he wouldn't get dropped by them in the mountains.

That is incorrect:
“It suits my characteristics. But that doesn’t mean I will win it, I think it suits all of us."Intriguingly, Contador tipped Valverde, not known for his time trialling skills, as one of the favourites for tomorrow.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Battling it out with Nibali with the handbrake on.

Contador had to use his brakes, wait 1 minute look behind and then he would see a glimps of Nibali. I'm not even overdoing it.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Also, Contador is 29 years old. Froome is 27 years old. Hardly a difference.

And Contador hasn't race much this year and the last 5 years he usually stopped racing after the tour except 2008 of course.

That will benefit him in 5 years I think. We also see that it's now possible to perform in a GT when you're 34, eg Evans.

Next year will be about the Tour, he wants to stamp his authority on that race again. If he feels good enough, then he might to the Vuelta also, but probably won't win it.

2014: Tour and Vuelta double. He has already won 2 GTs in a same year, now he wants 2 consecutive ones. Also at the same time he wants to defend his Tour title.

I also believe he wants to try to do the Giro-Tour double again in the future. In that case he would be nailed on to win at least the Giro part of it.

I'm assuming he has 3-4 years left before age takes its toll/new generation overtakes him. So if he wins at least one GT each of those years and pulls off at least one double (I believe he does that), then he has got those 5 GT wins I predict.

It is quite optimistic prediction, but he has won at least one GT in each of last six years (retroactive bans notwithstanding), so not wholly unrealistic.

I'm inclined to believe he'll win per year until 34 y.o. The Giro-Tour Double is something he'll try in 2014, but it all depends on how the parcours look like & hoping Riis will hire more help to support those objectives.
As far as him showing decline..... :rolleyes:.....he had not ridden properly over that last 6 moths plus the other 6 after the 11 Tour- now that the path is clear-he'll improve a lot by the time the next season gets started proper..

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I love Airstream's comments, his comments are too funny and he legit believes it.

That's how a good troll should be, i don't get offend by it at all. And he can come up with some crazy stuff, really enjoyable.

And any time I see his avatar I crack up xD

I also think btw Contador is going to try the double giro/tour in 2014 or 2015 when it's not a hard giro.

But in 2013 he needs to confirm his dominace in the tour and shut sky down.

TRENDING THREADS