• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

How much extra power does a leaders jersey give a rider?

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if its okay to post this here or if i should ask this in the form&fitness stuff of the CN forum but..

Its often said that if a rider wears the leaders jersey in a time trial he got some extra power/motivation from that, but how much is it? 10 watts or so? Probably really tough to say but maybe somebody here knows that?!

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Its powers are comparable to the One Ring. When you first get your hands on it you feel the sheer power contained within, giving you an extra 15-20 watts. But such power comes at a price and with every moment that passes whilst wearing the yellow jersey, the more it becomes a burden, slowly draining away vitality and combativity until nothing but the obsession to wear it in Paris, again and again, remains. In the end, it overwhelmed even the formidable willpower of Lance Armstrong, and after 7 unbroken years of wearing it, he had to yield and retire, to preserve his humanity

Re:

If we use the leading force Skys quest for the Holy grail in cycling, if not to say having overcomed this quest, it would be most unwise to avoid marginal gains as a tool of measure for exploring this subject further. Froome, as the most shining example, of the prophecy of gains should thus benefit of the following factors. Of course, the presented data is estatimations only.

*Yellow jersey: Very individual of course but if we accept SerioussSams likeness with the yellow jersey to the One Ring as comprehensible then we do now that the lesser the stature or its wearer/bearer the lesser its influence. Having came from vitually nowhere 2011 Froome should then benefit around 5-10 watts in the beginning and the more wins in the Tour the more watts he will reap from wearing the jersey before his decline. Had Armstrong likewise at the point of his comeback 2009 regained the one jersey do not be surprised if he had got some additional 30-35 watts under his belt.

*Oval chainrings: 6 watts. As explained by Kerrison the technology is there.

*Sleeping monitor: 10 watts. Sleeping cannot be underestimated and using the latest technology in the sleeping biz Froome ensures he's at any given rate benefits from what he have gained after training/racing.

*Nutrition: 10 watts. Doesnt need any explanations.

*Handwashing: 5 watts. Its not only avoiding to be sick but feeling good that this obstacle is somewhat removed. Feeling-watts to be gained there.

*Pillow: 5 watts. Sleeping well cannot be underestimated. For a stiff and stern neck like Froomes a special designed pillow helps his neck swag correctly during mountain stages and thus ensure the monitored wattages in order to win.

*Stem-gazing: This is what i call "comfortable watts". By fixing and focus on a certain point and not letting your mental health getting the better of you (like for example see how long climbing there is) Froome can stay positive by doing what he is comfortable with. Thus the comfortable watts.

Unfortunately the data presented by Sky during rest day doesnt seem to be "quite correct" which is a shame given it would give a unique insight of these numbers and the influence of the jersey on its winner.

SeriousSam said:
Its powers are comparable to the One Ring. When you first get your hands on it you feel the sheer power contained within, giving you an extra 15-20 watts. But such power comes at a price and with every moment that passes whilst wearing the yellow jersey, the more it becomes a burden, slowly draining away vitality and combativity until nothing but the obsession to wear it in Paris, again and again, remains. In the end, it overwhelmed even the formidable willpower of Lance Armstrong, and after 7 unbroken years of wearing it, he had to yield and retire, to preserve his humanity
BigMac said:
I think one of the prime examples of this has to be Rui Costa's 2012 Tour de Suisse.

On the other hand you have the likes of Thibaut Pinot, Mathias Frank...

Only to return as Gollum.

Hugo Koblet said:
The correct answer is 0.

I think you are wrong.

Of course, it would be impossible to quantify but I do think there is a certain fight or flight response to be wearing the yellow jersey. And if you are unfamiliar with the concept imagine I would tell you to run a certain distance as fast as you can and you actually went out there and gave everything. Now if I came back and said you'll get hundred million bucks if you could better that time. Most likely you would. Now imagine I came back once again and made you run the same distance with velociraptors chasing you, forcing you to better the time you set when you were competing for the money.

And here is the interesting thing. Some people fold and die whereas other don't. They dig deep down and run even faster than before. And I think some riders can have a similar reaction. They are more motivated than before and thus they dig deeper inside themselves to ride faster and thus in some way, the yellow jersey can give you some extra watts.

Case in point, Vockler in 2004 and 2011.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I think TV definitely laid it on the line for that jersey, If only he stayed with Evans when Schleck attacked.
Would have been a podium. That was a awesome tour.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
The yellow Jersey gives you motivation. Many different things give you motivation. Motivation is what makes you perform at your maximum. You can't perform above your maximum. Hence the yellow Jersey doesn't give you any extra power.

Yes, of course, 100 percent is 100 percent. However, your assumption that every riders is operating at 100 percent is not correct. Thus the increase motivations of the jersey probably will give you some extra wattage.

TRENDING THREADS