• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If alberto Contador leaves Astana, which team do you think he will go to?

A

Anonymous

Casse makes sense.. if they can afford him is another matter...

but would astana, or whatever the new team is if there is one let him go.. lance is only around for the year, levi is not getting any younger.. wheres the team leader for next year going to come from...?

or,. if contador leaves astana, who will there main man be next year..?

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Next year Astana's going to be a re hash of US postal if Armstrong takes the team over. Im sticking with Casse and I reckon the spainish goverment would probably stump up his salary.

Does Contador have the cojones to leave? The writing was on the wall last year and he stayed. Team XXX will need a GC contender, and placing faith in a dilettante who only wants to appear at races to have his ego stroked and an aging bore who by all that is holy should be over the hill by now does not seem like a good plan.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
What people here seem to miss is that Contador has a CONTRACT with JB until 2010, so he just can't leave even if he wanted to. No way will JB let him go until his contract is over.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Contador also counts for Euskatel-Euskadi since he raced there as an amateur, like Samuel Sanchez did, he obviously counts for Euskatel.

No way could Euskatel afford him though

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Does Contador have the cojones to leave? The writing was on the wall last year and he stayed. Team XXX will need a GC contender, and placing faith in a dilettante who only wants to appear at races to have his ego stroked and an aging bore who by all that is holy should be over the hill by now does not seem like a good plan.

:eek::eek::eek:

Thank you, haven't laughed like that in a while:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I thought he stayed because no one could afford him. It was rumoured that his manager, or whoever, had offered him to Rab and Caisse, but they both didn't take the bait.

I do agree that the team you mention does need at least one GC contender, who has less hair on his chest than on his head!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I thought he stayed because no one could afford him. It was rumoured that his manager, or whoever, had offered him to Rab and Caisse, but they both didn't take the bait.

I do agree that the team you mention does need at least one GC contender, who has less hair on his chest than on his head!

Rabo was scared of signing a 'tainted' name right after the rasmussen debacle. If Menchov fails to win/impress again this year, they might reconsider.

But it seems unlikely he won't go to caisse if he leaves.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Rabo was scared of signing a 'tainted' name right after the rasmussen debacle. If Menchov fails to win/impress again this year, they might reconsider.

But it seems unlikely he won't go to caisse if he leaves.

I think they are more likely to invest in Gesink, rather than bring in an outsider?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
I think they are more likely to invest in Gesink, rather than bring in an outsider?

I agree. I think they're more interested in promoting dutch riders than paying the prohibitive salary of Contador, and having a good amount of dutch promises like Gesink or Mollema working for a foreigner.

TRENDING THREADS