• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

If......

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I'm not so sure about that. EBH has said already that he either wants to be a rider for the GC and possibly win the tour one day, or become a sprinter/classics rider. Lately it seems like he is leaning more towards becoming a sprinter, and in that case, he probably won't be able to do much in the mountains.
only contesting sprints cos he can get the $$$. Once he builds up his brand like Boonen, then he can become like Jaja or Kelly.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
not better than froome,augustyn,lokvist agreed,but gerrans is a much better climber than arvesen and hagen.(worlds road race lots of climbing gerrans finished 10th)

at the worlds, those cilmbs were relatively short and steep. tdf climbs are long and strenous.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
not better than froome,augustyn,lokvist agreed,but gerrans is a much better climber than arvesen and hagen.(worlds road race lots of climbing gerrans finished 10th)

Arvesen came in with the same group as Gerrans, but was outsprinted by him and Fabian Wegman, and came 12th. So you can't base your oppinion on that race.

Balleballe said:
Arvesen came in with the same group as Gerrans, but was outsprinted by him and Fabian Wegman, and came 12th. So you can't base your oppinion on that race.

he has also won hilly stages in the vuelta the giro and the tour,aswell as finishing top 10 in oneday classics......

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
only contesting sprints cos he can get the $$$. Once he builds up his brand like Boonen, then he can become like Jaja or Kelly.

Gerrans is a nice stage hunter if plan A fails and if EBH goes all in for the classics he may not want a part of Le Tour.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
he has also won hilly stages in the vuelta the giro and the tour,aswell as finishing top 10 in oneday classics......

the victories at the vuelta and the giro were
1. In a breakaway
2. they only had short sharp climbs on the stage

The tour victory was one in the sprint. the other riders could of dropped him but they let him back into it and by the end there nobody in that group could out kick gerrans.

gerro's handy on short climbs but he's not what you'd call a mountain domestique.

auscyclefan94 said:
the victories at the vuelta and the giro were
1. In a breakaway
2. they only had short sharp climbs on the stage

The tour victory was one in the sprint. the other riders could of dropped him but they let him back into it and by the end there nobody in that group could out kick gerrans.

gerro's handy on short climbs but he's not what you'd call a mountain domestique.

thats true auscyclefan94,but i still think he's a better climber than averson wether it be long or short climbs......and comes with the advantage of possibly winning a stage aswell.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
thats true auscyclefan94,but i still think he's a better climber than averson wether it be long or short climbs......and comes with the advantage of possibly winning a stage aswell.

His tour win was up a pretty big hill, but I think the point stands.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
How many mountain domestiques do you need? Really I think loads of guys on the team can do the job adequately and when the pressure is really on lokvist will be there. Why argue about the merits of Gerrans or Arvesen in the mountains it makes no difference.