In your opinion, what is THE 'official' season opening race?

Sep 8, 2009
155
0
0
UCI calander be damned. I frankly don't know any better since as of tomorrow I will have been paying attention to road racing for a year only, but democracy stated in my local group ride this morning that Omloop Het Nieusblad is. Anyone care to donate 2 cents?
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
soOpOSMthanks! said:
UCI calander be damned. I frankly don't know any better since as of tomorrow I will have been paying attention to road racing for a year only, but democracy stated in my local group ride this morning that Omloop Het Nieusblad is. Anyone care to donate 2 cents?
Down Under Classic is the kick off of the season. The first big race with all the big riders.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
soOpOSMthanks! said:
UCI calander be damned. I frankly don't know any better since as of tomorrow I will have been paying attention to road racing for a year only, but democracy stated in my local group ride this morning that Omloop Het Nieusblad is. Anyone care to donate 2 cents?

The road race season starts in early July and ends three weeks later.
 
Sep 2, 2009
589
0
0
I think there are many different opinions.
I don't really know how I fell about it today. It used to be Omloop Het Volk (now Omloop het Nieusblad).for me.
By the time when PN and MSR takes place it's defenitely started.
 
Apr 1, 2009
228
0
0
Bike Boy said:
I think there are many different opinions.
I don't really know how I fell about it today. It used to be Omloop Het Volk (now Omloop het Nieusblad).for me.
By the time when PN and MSR takes place it's defenitely started.
+1

The tour down under, really? it's a warm up except for a few people mostly ausis. same goes for the TOC, maybe this year it will be a bit different now that it has moved.

And for the beer drinker (AKA Scott SoCal).... Cycling is way more then the tour de france... I hope you are joking and if not I'm sure others will educate you.:eek:
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Moondance said:
Omloop 'Het Nieuwsblad,' everything before is just practice.
+1
Although the Tour Down Under is an ideal opportunity for the Aussie riders to gather some much needed UCI points while all the other nationalities are still sleeping, so that come September they'll be able to send 9 riders to the Worlds.
 
While the Omloop 'Het Nieuwsblad is generally considered to be the curtain raiser, I look further South, to the Trofeo Laigueglia.
http://www.trofeolaigueglia.it/

Here's why.....
1993 United States Lance Armstrong (USA) Motorola
1994 Denmark Rolf Sørensen (2) (DEN) GB-MG Maglificio
1995 Belgium Johan Museeuw (BEL) Mapei-GB
1996 Belgium Frank Vandenbroucke (BEL) Mapei-GB
1997 Italy Michele Bartoli (ITA) MG Maglificio-Technogym
1998 France Pascal Chanteur (FRA) Casino
1999 Italy Paolo Savoldelli (ITA) Saeco-Cannondale
2000 Italy Daniele Nardello (ITA) Mapei-Quick Step
2001 Italy Mirko Celestino (ITA) Saeco
2002 Italy Danilo Di Luca (ITA) Saeco-Longoni Sport
2003 Italy Filippo Pozzato (ITA) Fassa Bortolo
2004 Italy Filippo Pozzato (2) (ITA) Fassa Bortolo
2005 Luxembourg Kim Kirchen (LUX) Fassa Bortolo
2006 Italy Alessandro Ballan (ITA) Lampre-Fondital
 
Jul 29, 2009
441
0
0
For me it's whatever the first race is on TV!

It's important for the serious viewer to get some early season hours under his belt even if you're not really paying attention or that involved in the racing.

Of course I've been doing some work during the winter, some old TDF DVDs, plus for variety a bit of NFL and some cricket (which replicates the general inaction of the Vuelta quite well)

My season is based around peaking for the Classics which require both viewing stamina and the ability to maintain focus and control during periods of intense excitement. Of course you do get a few days recovery between each effort.

Then of course it's the TDF which is a matter of repeating that effort for day after day while taking an active interest in several competitions at once.

For the last couple of years I have been using the Giro for preparation. Mainly for getting used to waiting all day for the inevitable sprint finish or waiting for the contenders in a time trial without falling asleep after good lunch.

It's also good to get in some spectacular panoramic views or arty shots preparation before the TdF as well as an ability to appreciate those is vital in the serious viewer
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
0
0
Moondance said:
Omloop 'Het Nieuwsblad,' everything before is just practice.
Agreed.
But I think the Italians see Laigueglia as the season start and the French think it's Haut Var.
 
ak-zaaf said:
Agreed.
But I think the Italians see Laigueglia as the season start and the French think it's Haut Var.
Well that's settled then. It's the first race of the year (of any significance) in whatever country you happen to live in. Everybody can be happy now.
 
May 21, 2009
184
0
0
Then taking that to mean "local" rather than "national", the San Bruno Hillclimb at 10 am on 01 Jan.

And they wonder why NorCal racers tend to burn out in May...
 
djconnel said:
Then taking that to mean "local" rather than "national", the San Bruno Hillclimb at 10 am on 01 Jan.

And they wonder why NorCal racers tend to burn out in May...
If there's anything in New Zealand on that date it's probably gong to win - it's all about where you're positioned relative to the international date line.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
stefank said:
Well that's settled then. It's the first race of the year (of any significance) in whatever country you happen to live in. Everybody can be happy now.
I assume the majority of the riders would say it's Het Nieuwsblad. With the followers, it's a different story.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Moondance said:
Omloop 'Het Nieuwsblad,' everything before is just practice.
+1

The race in Australia is nice, but it is winter in the northern hemisphere and no amount of pomp and circumstance will make the TdU more than a warm up act. Same went for the ToC in its old time slot.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
Het Nieuwsblad or Paris-Nice, depending on how many riders decide to try for the Het Nieuwsblad, which varies every year.
 
Well for the purists, before the invention of the Tour Upside Down, or whatever it's called: for stage racing Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice, while for the classics la classicissima Milano-San Remo. Everythimg else before is either a warm-up or a marketing invention.

Unless you live in Belgium.
 
Mar 23, 2009
118
0
0
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad/Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne is THE openingsweekend ...

the cyclo x dudes just had their last race and 6 days later it's road racing time baby :cool:




Tour of Qatar televised on Sporza is a good warm up though, but just the last kilometre :D
 
Jul 2, 2009
5,540
0
0
rhubroma said:
Well for the purists, before the invention of the Tour Upside Down, or whatever it's called: for stage racing Tirreno-Adriatico and Paris-Nice, while for the classics la classicissima Milano-San Remo. Everythimg else before is either a warm-up or a marketing invention.

Unless you live in Belgium.
Last time I checked, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad was a classic. Also I am from the Netherlands and live there.
 
Mar 23, 2009
118
0
0
Moondance said:
Last time I checked, Omloop Het Nieuwsblad was a classic. Also I am from the Netherlands and live there.
we'll include Tilburg as a part of Greater Flanders :D:D;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Depends on your perspective.. For me the Tour Down Under is the start, although only a warmup, the season kicks off for real with Omloop..

The french would say GP Marseille or Bessages or Haut Var, the Italians would say Gran Premio della Costa Etruschi, the spaniards Trofeo Cala Millor-Cala and the northern europeans would say Omloop..

When all said and done.. its almost upon us thank christ.. the off season has been so dull..
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Samamba Professional Road Racing 182

ASK THE COMMUNITY