• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

interesting reading now

May 30, 2010
Visit site
from an article years back, just came across it....

" Armstrong, however, suggested that many of the riders in the peloton were on his side. "Simeoni is not a rider that the peloton wants to see in the front group. All he does is attack cycling and say bad things about the riders and the group in general," said Armstrong. "When I came back to the peloton, I had a lot of people patting me on the back. They don't want somebody inside the sport destroying it. All he wants to do is to destroy cycling, and destroy the sport that pays him."

When asked why he chased down Simeoni in such a meaningless break (meaningless to the overall classification) Armstrong stated he was "protecting the best interests of the peloton".

Not too hard to figure out what he was talking about. And I'm sure he got a warm round of applause from all the dopers in the peloton that day.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Berzin said:
When asked why he chased down Simeoni in such a meaningless break (meaningless to the overall classification) Armstrong stated he was "protecting the best interests of the peloton".

Not too hard to figure out what he was talking about. And I'm sure he got a warm round of applause from all the dopers in the peloton that day.

Actually, Simeoni got a warm round of loogies hacked up on him.:mad:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Here's a good one:

"You can see the differences, As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

"...so you are telling me that a 150 mile race over four mountain passes you can finish with 7-8 guys on the last climb? I don't believe it to be possible. Even with Rasmussen's team, and he had a lot of questions about him, he was arriving with only two guys on the front and one would get dropped on the final climb. That's what I mean by a change."

- Chris Horner, 2007. Obviously referring to the blue train. Although it does bear some resemblance to the lime green train at the 2010 Giro.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Here's a good one:

"You can see the differences, As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

"...so you are telling me that a 150 mile race over four mountain passes you can finish with 7-8 guys on the last climb? I don't believe it to be possible. Even with Rasmussen's team, and he had a lot of questions about him, he was arriving with only two guys on the front and one would get dropped on the final climb. That's what I mean by a change."

- Chris Horner, 2007. Obviously referring to the blue train. Although it does bear some resemblance to the lime green train at the 2010 Giro.

Hah, good find.

Maybe the RadioShack bus had a "engine problem" during the PV as well, could explain how a 39 yo Horner won the TT...