• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Intermediate Sprints in the Vuelta

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know how the intermediate sprints points will work in this year's Vuelta? I've read in separate places that the 1st rider gets either 8 or 4 points, and the official site doesn't seem to have the information.

PasqualeMendoza said:
Does anyone know how the intermediate sprints points will work in this year's Vuelta? I've read in separate places that the 1st rider gets either 8 or 4 points, and the official site doesn't seem to have the information.

I found this on Inrng.com for last year.

Green: the points jersey but not necessarily the property of the sprinters. Points are awarded at the finish line and at intermediate points in the stage and the rider with the most points wears the jersey.

Finish line: 25-20-16-14-12-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 points for the first 15 riders
Intermediate sprints: 4-2-1 points for the first three riders
Note that unlike the Tour de France, an equal amount of points are awarded in the mountains as on the flat. With the high number of summit finishes it means there’s a correlation between the overall classification and the points jersey. There’s a good example from 2012 when sprinter John Degenkolb won five stages but only finished fourth in the points competition with Alejandro Valverde well ahead. It is sponsored by a government recycling agency.

The Vuelta website will probably include confirmation when they update it to include detailed routes etc a bit closer to the start.

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers Mariposa,

I did read that too, but also read somewhere else that it would be 8 points for 1st place at the intermediate sprints, hence my confusion. Like you say, hopefully the website will be updated soon.

TRENDING THREADS