• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Irish Cyclists reponse to McQuaid

This is a good read. I hope this will influence the Irish cycling voters. If they decide not to nominate Pat, it shows that even in cycling there is accountability.

If the Swiss go ahead with their nomination, it would IMHO seriously undermine the basis for the UCI, since as far as I understand it, they would usurp the Irish federations democratic process(not to mention possibly the UCIs own rules). That would really be bad.

Inquitus said:
Another Club decides to have all delegates vote against. Known to me that's now 4-0 against McQuaid on the club front and represents about 16 votes. Not heard of any clubs in favour yet.

If you read Shane Stokes twitter feed, he mentions that during RAS he was chatting to someone and this was the ensuing conversation:

From Twitter:

Shane Stokes ‏@SSbike 30 May
Have heard suggestions some club delgates will vote as they themselves wish rather than consulting their members - that's not on.

All clubs should ideally hold a meeting and let their members vote on the matter prior to delegates going to EGM (as Orwell did).

One muppet told me during the Ras 'who are our members to tell us what to do?'

The same guy told me 'we have known the McQuaids for well over 20 years - that's why I will vote Pat.'

Doesn't say which club this is though.

It's hard enough that this is some of what is going on with the actual nomination. If Pat does actually manage to get nominated, I fear for the snow-job that's coming down the pipeline after it. The list of federations visiting UCI recently is troubling and no doubt there'd be plenty of deals already done.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have said this before - members of national federations need to threaten to cancel their racing licence/annual membership for 2014 if this clown gets re-elected.

If all the members in Europe did this it would cause the UCI a big problem. In fact I would like to see somebody like Vaughters throw this idea into the fray as a possibility.

Nobody racing + No money coming in.
Within a month they would cave and re-elect somebody who cyclists want to see in charge.
A rival organisation would probably set up and step in to poach a load of races in the interim which would probably be a good thing.

Although it would be painful for those at all levels of the sport wanting to race, a month or so of every race in the world being cancelled would focus the minds of the UCI and all concerned pretty damn quick in my opinion.

ToreBear said:
This is a good read. I hope this will influence the Irish cycling voters. If they decide not to nominate Pat, it shows that even in cycling there is accountability.

No there isn't. The system isn't Democratic. It kind of looks like it, but it isn't as the post with Shane Stokes posts highlights very well.

ToreBear said:
If the Swiss go ahead with their nomination, it would IMHO seriously undermine the basis for the UCI, since as far as I understand it, they would usurp the Irish federations democratic process(not to mention possibly the UCIs own rules). That would really be bad.

No again. There are so many rules that can be interpreted to meet Pat's needs. That's how the UCI has always worked. The UCI reports to no one. As long as they control the worldwide monopoly on pro cycling they are their own source of legitimacy.

He doesn't "need" the Irish federation's nomination, but it is a long-standing tradition. He could sort something out with another national federation quickly.

B_Ugli said:
Nobody racing + No money coming in.
Within a month they would cave and re-elect somebody who cyclists want to see in charge.
A rival organisation would probably set up and step in to poach a load of races in the interim which would probably be a good thing.

Although it would be painful for those at all levels of the sport wanting to race, a month or so of every race in the world being cancelled would focus the minds of the UCI and all concerned pretty damn quick in my opinion.

Not true at all. They are funded by the IOC. In fact, it seems like they might have just recently received their not-known portion of the London Games revenue as other parties have reported getting paid recently. They've got some revenue producing the World Championships, they've got broadcasting rights revenue too. It's all good.

While I agree with your sentiment, that's a long-term goal. I think 25-30 years to get another international body that can monetize cycling. Hopefully it won't be corrupted by then.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Not true at all. They are funded by the IOC. In fact, it seems like they might have just recently received their not-known portion of the London Games revenue as other parties have reported getting paid recently. They've got some revenue producing the World Championships, they've got broadcasting rights revenue too. It's all good.

While I agree with your sentiment, that's a long-term goal. I think 25-30 years to get another international body that can monetize cycling. Hopefully it won't be corrupted by then.

You are more in the know on the financials than me by the look of it. I just think that everyone complains about the UCI but nobody makes life difficult for them. At the moment they are invincible and untouchable operating within a clique with the IOC and race organisers.

Surely races having to be cancelled and a worldwide boycott of federations would throw a massive spanner in the works. The lost revenue from TV alone would really hurt the UCI (that's assuming racers did it for a month at the beginning of the year). If you did it in the month of the Tour or the Worlds think of the disruption that would cause!!

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Generally most clubs that are allowing their members vote on the issue are voting to oppose McQuaids nomination, there appears to be a 80 to 90% of club members that want a no to the nomination. however there are clubs who are refusing to allow their members a voice on the matter and their delegates will vote most likely pro McQuaid, this could got to the wire but word on the ground is that the "activists" are in the majority and want McQuaid out, weather this will be reflected in the EGM on the 15th depends on how many clubs are democratically run against those run by jumped up officials.