• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Corratec or Ican a better build of Bike?

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I've been looking for a good road bike as I want to get back into a fitness regime and used to enjoy cycling many moons ago. I've given myself a nice healthy budget of around €2,000 Euros as I want something that's comfortable and does the business. So far, I've come across a couple of second-hand one's in great condition that I really like the look of but are very different in appearance. Both are around the price range I mentioned. One is made by Corratec and the other Ican from what I can gather. Does anyone know which one is the most highly regarded of the two brands and generally has the best build quality? Thanks.

You've given no where near enough info for anyone to help you much I'm afraid. There are myriad points to consider with second hand bikes and the brand usually isn't a brilliant indication of condition.

2,000 Euros (around £1500 or $2000 US for those unfamiliar with Euros) could get you a very nice new bike.

A Trek Domane 4.3 or Edmonda S6, Specialized Tarmac Sport, Cinelli Saetta Radical Veloce, Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 5 and the Fuji SL 2.5 are all very nice, full carbon bikes with great groupsets available at the top end of your budget for RRP (and can no doubt be found for less, I just used Evans Cycles to have a look). Not to mention all the old 2015 models that will be currently available.

I've given carbon options as that seems to be what people want, but personally I'd look to get steel or spend less and get aluminium. Anyways, if you don't really know what you're buying I would stay away from second hand, any of those bikes I've listed would be more than any recreational cyclist (including me!) could ever really need.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Thanks King Boonen for the reply and suggestions, sorry I didn't give you too much to go on. Yes, I have around 2,000 dollars to spend but I don't have to spend that much and could go a little more if I wanted. Guessing with my level of knowledge and experience though, that kind of money would be wasted. The reason why I mentioned those two brands was because I came across them when I was browsing the net and I'd found an Irish for sale site that do both new and used road bikes. Anyway, I'm certainly going to have a look into the ones you've suggested and do a bit more reading up on the pros/cons of the different frame types. Plenty for me to think about and explore. Will depend on what's available her in Ireland too. Thanks again for your help.

No worries rido, as far as I know Ican is a Chinese distribution company that sell open mould bike and Corratec is a German company that actually develop. It would point to Corratec being better but it would be massively dependent on the actual bike.

The bikes I listed are all very, very good bikes. The 105 group set is the best bang for your buck you're going to get and the full carbon frame is going to make them light and fast. The wheels are fairly basic so if you really wanted to invest more that's almost always the first thing to upgrade. I can also easily suggest bikes that are a good £500 less (I'm in Glasgow) that will also do everything a recreational cyclist could want. You should have a lot available to you.

If you describe the type of riding you wish to do I can give you a better list of bikes, I have a personal like for steel frames but will only suggest them if they fit what you say you want to do and I'll explain why.