Is it now time for the UCI to be divided in two?

Should the UCI be split in two?

  • No

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Feb 23, 2011
618
0
0
Should the organisation be split up so drugs testing is kept seperate from the globalisation and commercial aspect of the sport?
 
May 14, 2010
5,306
2
0
I voted yes, but what really needs to happen is for UCI to be abolished, any criminals within it to be prosecuted, and its headquarters demolished (or, better, turned into a prison where the criminals can be housed). Ideally a new organization would take its place, and doping controls would be handled by a reputable third party.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
the asian said:
What should really happen is the drugs testing be carried out by a separate independent entity.
You can't expect the UCI to go after the big marketable stars who get them revenue.
Whilst I agree that the drugs testing should be handled by someone other than the UCI, the system in place is so deeply rooted and carefully configured (think ASO + Sky + UCI) that splitting UCI in 2 won't work or won't change anything.

And letting UCI remain in its capacity as supreme overlord and enforcer of level saddles, sock length, bidon size less than 800ml, zipped up jerseys, etc, is IMO still ridiculous and unncecessary.

It's a cancerous growth feeding on the lifeblood of cycling and needs to be removed entirely and binned.

ETA: I do not hate any riders, but I do hate the UCI.
 
the big ring said:
Whilst I agree that the drugs testing should be handled by someone other than the UCI, the system in place is so deeply rooted and carefully configured (think ASO + Sky + UCI) that splitting UCI in 2 won't work or won't change anything.

And letting UCI remain in its capacity as supreme overlord and enforcer of level saddles, sock length, bidon size less than 800ml, zipped up jerseys, etc, is IMO still ridiculous and unncecessary.

It's a cancerous growth feeding on the lifeblood of cycling and needs to be removed entirely and binned.

ETA: I do not hate any riders, but I do hate the UCI.
Of course there should be a lot of reform in the UCI, beginning with the ouster of Pat & Hein or a new body should come up for overseeing Cycling. However the testers should be a separate entity from whoever runs the sport.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
User Guide said:
Voted no as I think it should be abolished.
Better options may have been:

What should happen to the UCI:

1. leave as is
2. split into rules & testing as separate, independent body
3. nuke it and start again
 
Sep 21, 2009
2,978
0
0
Maxiton said:
I voted yes, but what really needs to happen is for UCI to be abolished, any criminals within it to be prosecuted, and its headquarters demolished (or, better, turned into a prison where the criminals can be housed). Ideally a new organization would take its place, and doping controls would be handled by a reputable third party.
A prison in Switzerland would be better than they actually deserve.

Promotion of the sport should be separate from testing, but it should also be separated from technical regulations.
 
Jun 12, 2010
1,234
0
0
Medical control should be a public health issue carried out to an internationally agreed standard and in the case of pro sport positive tests punished with suitable "sporting fraud" legislation. Providing details of others complicit in supply and usage that leads to further prosecutions should be seen as mitigation that may lead to a reduction in sentencing. Particularly strong punishments should be handed to all 3rd parties found to be complicit. Few at the really sharp end of elite sport who dope are able to without others complicity.
 
Aug 10, 2012
46
0
0
icefire said:
A prison in Switzerland would be better than they actually deserve.

Promotion of the sport should be separate from testing, but it should also be separated from technical regulations.
Option 3, Scrap and start over, break out technical regulations from testing from promotion. Ideally, they could oversee corruption at the national federations level, which they currently show no interest in doing but rather exploiting (witness the tit of tat regarding race radios and the halting of UCI pros racing at independent federation's races in the US).

Given that McQuaid seems rather unclear on concept regarding WADA code and the necessity of abiding by to remain recognized by the IOC, or when to keep his mouth shut, I think he should have asked for a the donation of a legal team rather than a sysmex. I don't see he's going to get out of this.

Should it come to pass, who's waiting in the wings to take over?
 
Maxiton said:
I voted yes, but what really needs to happen is for UCI to be abolished, any criminals within it to be prosecuted, and its headquarters demolished (or, better, turned into a prison where the criminals can be housed). Ideally a new organization would take its place, and doping controls would be handled by a reputable third party.
I voted yes, only because I was hoping for a return of the guillotine. Minimally, the head needs to be severed from the body.

Otherwise, I think it would be a unanimous vote if there were an option to revoke its IOC status and abolish it.

the big ring said:
Whilst I agree that the drugs testing should be handled by someone other than the UCI, the system in place is so deeply rooted and carefully configured (think ASO + Sky + UCI) that splitting UCI in 2 won't work or won't change anything.

And letting UCI remain in its capacity as supreme overlord and enforcer of level saddles, sock length, bidon size less than 800ml, zipped up jerseys, etc, is IMO still ridiculous and unncecessary.

It's a cancerous growth feeding on the lifeblood of cycling and needs to be removed entirely and binned.

ETA: I do not hate any riders, but I do hate the UCI.
These comments are so well taken.

There are two things that the UCI does really well:

1. Protect dopers and corruption

2. Introduce absolutely absurd rules with respect to equipment

The only explanation on #2 is that there must be a link between #2 and #1. How much money is the UCI getting for its new 'UCI Approved' sticker program on bike frames?

The UCI is in the twilight zone, completely out of touch with its membership and its sport, and fundamentally corrupt.

If we were to split it into two, would one of the halves decide that they needed to start a 'UCI approved' sticker program for handlebar tape, valve extenders and spoke nipples?

I say that and realize that it is almost certain that there is a plan at UCI HQ to do exactly that.

Dave.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
It is time to put down the rabid beast and find a newer better solution to an International Cycling Federation.

No point in only getting rid of those in Swissland, most of the whole thing down to local federations are equally corrupt.
 

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
2,135
0
0
D-Queued said:
There are two things that the UCI does really well:

1. Protect dopers and corruption

2. Introduce absolutely absurd rules with respect to equipment

The only explanation on #2 is that there must be a link between #2 and #1. How much money is the UCI getting for its new 'UCI Approved' sticker program on bike frames?

The UCI is in the twilight zone, completely out of touch with its membership and its sport, and fundamentally corrupt.

If we were to split it into two, would one of the halves decide that they needed to start a 'UCI approved' sticker program for handlebar tape, valve extenders and spoke nipples?

I say that and realize that it is almost certain that there is a plan at UCI HQ to do exactly that.

Dave.
Clothing approval has already been mentioned by UCI. :confused:
 
May 20, 2010
718
0
0
Darryl Webster said:
Medical control should be a public health issue carried out to an internationally agreed standard and in the case of pro sport positive tests punished with suitable "sporting fraud" legislation. Providing details of others complicit in supply and usage that leads to further prosecutions should be seen as mitigation that may lead to a reduction in sentencing. Particularly strong punishments should be handed to all 3rd parties found to be complicit. Few at the really sharp end of elite sport who dope are able to without others complicity.
Excellent post.

As per so many PED/drug issues in society the medical/public health model seems the best way to go. Wholeheartedly agree with the idea of "sporting fraud" management.

Peak sporting bodies should have no enforcement role in PED issues. Such matters run at direct conflict with the believed objectives of such bodies. Sure educate and motivate on health/morals/equality but the regulation needs to be in the hands of an independant organisation.

Human inclination is such that any conflict of interest culminates in neither the promotion nor the regulation of sport being maximized.
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
Darryl Webster said:
Medical control should be a public health issue carried out to an internationally agreed standard and in the case of pro sport positive tests punished with suitable "sporting fraud" legislation. Providing details of others complicit in supply and usage that leads to further prosecutions should be seen as mitigation that may lead to a reduction in sentencing. Particularly strong punishments should be handed to all 3rd parties found to be complicit. Few at the really sharp end of elite sport who dope are able to without others complicity.
I agree.


It should be lucrative for governments to go after 'sporting fraud'. I also think that a certain % of 'sporting fraud' fines should go directly to sporting clubs at grassroots.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
It should be divided in two if you want the bribes to be doubled as well.

Option 3 is the way to go (Nuke and restart).
 
I think you got the split wrong.

WADA should be the anti-doping authority. Meaning they call the tests, they alone declare positives. That is not splitting the UCI, that's just firing them for doing such an awful job.

The majority of what the UCI does is the boring administration stuff. Race calendars, officiating. That more, or less, remains intact. Some organization gets the role of rider advocate in WADA matters.

Meanwhile, the bulk of what Pat and Hein do, the big-money promotion is divested and UCI agents cannot promote races. So, no scenario like World Cycling Promotions can happen. Pat and Hein and Alain among others are fired and go run WCP. Which, will promptly fail because they don't have UCI bankrolling their schemes.

There are other serious problems with the UCI. Until the rampant corruption is addressed, they will not come up.
 
Feb 15, 2011
1,306
0
0
What would a new governing body look like? I'm trying to think of a good way to do it, and I just can't think of it... a governing body like in soccer would be pretty bad as well...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS