• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is Lance's bike still in the Smithsonian?

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had forgotten all about Lance's bicycle in the Smithsonian, then I remembered an article on the terrific and offbeat Bobke Strut website by Peter Hymas:

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2006/08/07/capital-campaign/

So I wonder, it is a little over six years later, and with all the hubbub, is Lance's bike still there? Can any DC area Clinic posters confirm this for us? And is there any sort of motivated effort to have it removed?

Does anyone know why Greg Lemond's bicycle, say, his TT bike from 1989, cannot be put in that location instead?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I Haven't been there for years, but i do know the vast majority of inventory is actually not on display. Once he lost the tour i imagine they rotated it out for something more current.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
At one of the Trek bike shops here in Madison, they had a bike hanging on the wall purporting to be one Sir Lancelot rode on a leg at a TdF. Back when the Fed investigation was ongoing I wanted to quip to the attendants that the bike was an accessory to a crime. :D Haven't been in there recently - wonder if it's still on display.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the Trek factory in Wisconsin have pretty much an entire wing of the building dedicated to Lance and the bikes he rode? What does that room look like today?

babastooey said:
Doesn't the Trek factory in Wisconsin have pretty much an entire wing of the building dedicated to Lance and the bikes he rode? What does that room look like today?

Abandoned-Buildings-12.jpg