• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is omerta human nature?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Well let's face it, nobody likes a whistle blower, be it in cycling, or any other industry or sport. How many times do you see a doctor on the news blow the whistle on something and then here that their employers (usually the local government) won't renew their contracts hen it expires, or people who have who ask to remain anonymous for fear of keeping their job. So I guess that is why those who blow the whistle in cycling, 'spit in the soup' (Bassons, Simeoni, Manzano, Kohl etc.) become pariahs, and not welcomed back with open arms.

I'm not sure if this belongs in the clinic or not.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
In the US, insurance companies give a percentage of the money collected from insurance fraud investigations to the whistle blower. Some companies pay as high as 20%. Some fraud cases run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Whistle blowing, though unpopular, pays pretty well in those instances.

I doubt this concept would work in sport.

Cyclists who blow the whistle have largely been ostracized by the rest of the cycling community. Simeoni will always have the tainted reputation of being a tattle-tale.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
That's a good question. I posted something in the clinic about doping's widespread exposure having a positive negative impact on cycling. Eventually, it evolved to a debate over omerta.

To answer your question though, I don't think it's human nature; I think chastizing whistle blowers is human nature. We learned as kids nobody likes a rat, squeeler, or tattletale.

I just question their intentions. Do they talk to clear their conscience or incriminate others while saving themselves?

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
cheap wedding dresses,wedding dresses,wedding dress,simple wedding dresses,classy wedding dresses,beautiful wedding dresses,weddingdress
wedding dresses
cheap wedding dresses
Evening dresses
With more 1000 Designer dresses,we supply Evening Dresses,Custom Dresses,formal gowns,cocktail dresses with wholesale price
prom dresses
Dresses, evening, cocktail, prom dresses, formal gowns from dresseslife. Homecoming dresses and bridesmaid
Graduation Dresses