• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is the 7 Eleven Book Worth Getting?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I enjoyed the heck out of the book for what it was. I thought it was a very good read, and filled me on some of what went on in that early era that I didn't know.

There was a crit in Las Vegas one year - I got shots of the whole team (as individuals) on one particular corner - sold all the negs to Southland for PR - they were very much like the George credited cornering portraits - exactly like, actually. But George was better known and experienced as a cycling photog than I was, and he probably got those shots on another course. And, once I'd sold the negs to Southland, of course, they weren't mine any more.

The book doesn't touch on the topic we can't address here (the Clinic), but for the rest of it, I thought it was very good. I enjoyed it, and I learned quite a bit of detail.

While we're telling 7-11 stories, I think it was in the late 80's and there was the Mayor's Cup criiterium in Portland. I was just getting into racing and marveled at how stupidly fast the 7-11 "B team" lapped the field. I can't remember who won the race, but afterwards I shook Roy Knickman's hand and remember thinking how cool that was (I kinda still do, to be honest!).

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Living in Vancouver, I remember going to dinner with my girlfriend one evening and looking over to see Alex Stieda at the next table. Or going to Brian Walton's house in the off season to buy used team gear. There were a number of small incidents like that. Being a young, impressionable university student of little cycling talent, it made me feel a thousand feet tall.

John Swanson