• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Is this jacket any good?

I'm not sure if Pete is real or phishing but I'll use this thread to jump off for my question:

Does anybody have a wind vest that they recommend? I just want a light wind front, mesh back, no pockets, two way zipper (nice but not a deal breaker). Price is also a factor, but I don't know what my ceiling is yet. I've had team kit vests for ~25 years so haven't ever purchased one, but I finally ran out of team vests.

After a quick search most vests now have pockets which are just bulk for something that will spend a lot of time in a jersey pocket.

I have an older Rapha gilet (not the classic, it’s the pro team one before they called it pro team) that’s pretty much exactly what you’re after but a one way zipper. There are currently no gilets on their site apart from the club ones and a couple in the archive, so I’d guess they’ll have this seasons out soon. I’m pretty sure the current pro team has a two way zipper and they went mesh back on it last year (mine is a mesh back, not sure why they didn’t keep it when they introduced the pro team line but it’s there now). They’re fairly expensive though.

Reactions: jmdirt
I have an older Rapha gilet (not the classic, it’s the pro team one before they called it pro team) that’s pretty much exactly what you’re after but a one way zipper. There are currently no gilets on their site apart from the club ones and a couple in the archive, so I’d guess they’ll have this seasons out soon. I’m pretty sure the current pro team has a two way zipper and they went mesh back on it last year (mine is a mesh back, not sure why they didn’t keep it when they introduced the pro team line but it’s there now). They’re fairly expensive though.
$125 for Rapha...maybe more than I want to spend, but if I don't find what I want for less, maybe I'll get one.

$125 for Rapha...maybe more than I want to spend, but if I don't find what I want for less, maybe I'll get one.
Yeah, it's expensive. To be fair to Rapha, they monitor their supply line and are actively trying to invest in under-represented communities (as with all companies they could and should do more, but they at least do something) and their prices aren't more than other "high-end" brands.

Yeah, it's expensive. To be fair to Rapha, they monitor their supply line and are actively trying to invest in under-represented communities (as with all companies they could and should do more, but they at least do something) and their prices aren't more than other "high-end" brands.
thats cause their quality and technology is not on the level of other high end brands like Assos or Q36.5; Rapha is the most overpriced cycling clothing brand out there based on price/performance

I ended up buying a Peal Izumi from ebay for $17. The seller said something like "maybe worn once or twice" and based on the condition I'd say that is accurate. I used it several times before the trails went to poo for the season. It was below 0 degrees Fahrenheit this morning so a vest wouldn't cut it! o_O

I ended up buying a Peal Izumi from ebay for $17. The seller said something like "maybe worn once or twice" and based on the condition I'd say that is accurate. I used it several times before the trails went to poo for the season. It was below 0 degrees Fahrenheit this morning so a vest wouldn't cut it! o_O
Sounds like a great deal. Temperatures are dropping here, I've not done much riding in a few months and now I'm ill (not COVID). Struggling to get my base miles in.

Reactions: jmdirt

TRENDING THREADS