• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Italy: "After the storm, the Tsunami."

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The recent affair with the Lampre guys is the storm. What is the tsunami?

I hope the that the trainer rumored to be going down is Dr. Ferrari. If they used the same type of surveillance, including wiretaps, like they did with Lampre then this could get very interesting.

http://www.tuttobiciweb.it/index.php?page=news&cod=37807&tp=n

Perhaps if that is the case they'll finally be able to show whether Pelli and Nibali did train with him.

But if the Lampre stuff was small-fries the only thing I can really imagine is systemic doping at Liquigas, something which would not really surprise me that much

Half of world class professional riders? A great physician-trainer always in the thick of it?

My initial thought would be Fuentes. Maybe he "flipped" last year during Galgo and was given a wire/phone tap to build evidence in a deal save his own a55.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
Half of world class professional riders? A great physician-trainer always in the thick of it?

My initial thought would be Fuentes. Maybe he "flipped" last year during Galgo and was given a wire/phone tap to build evidence in a deal save his own a55.

let's hope, but it could be any doctor. It would be great if this is followed through and it takes all those doping with this Doc out of the game for a min of 2 years. Then we might see some real change in attitudes to doping by fans, riders and more importantly sponsors.

Benotti69 said:
let's hope, but it could be any doctor. It would be great if this is followed through and it takes all those doping with this Doc out of the game for a min of 2 years. Then we might see some real change in attitudes to doping by fans, riders and more importantly sponsors.

The docs but also the DS's. There is no hope while the likes of Holm, Aldag, Hog, Riis etc are knocking around.

Roland Rat said:

But Fuentes isn't known as a trainer, is he? That would have to be one of the big Italian names. I don't dare hope it's Ferrari, but there are others.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
The docs but also the DS's. There is no hope while the likes of Holm, Aldag, Hog, Riis etc are knocking around.

i would like to seem criminal charges brought against DS's and make it a crime for coaches to be involved in doping of athletes with serious sentences and fines. That would put the fear up them. But i didn't mention them as their currently is no sanction for them. Unless some police investigation can link payments to a doping doctor coming from accounts controlled by a DS.

But yes i would love to see Riis, Hog, Aldag, Sainz, Saronni, Och and all those others out of the sport forever.

jimmypop

BANNED
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As Berzin pointed out, Ferrari is a cunning criminal. He was having meetups in remote locations many years ago, and I doubt he'd be caught on a wire.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferrari is going down. He is facing a significant time in prison. in order to lessen this time he is considering flipping on some of his best clients.

Race Radio said:
Ferrari is going down. He is facing a significant time in prison. in order to lessen this time he is considering flipping on some of his best clients.

Do we really know who has been with Ferrari in the last few years?

Well I'm sure we know one, but apart from that it is just rumours.

It seems there are more "ex-Ferrari clients" than "current Ferrari clients".

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Further on this.

Posters make some good points when they talk about wiretapping. Italy does more of this then any country in the world. Ferrari most likely avoided much of this.

The key is most PEDs are commercial drugs. Unlike say Coke or Meth these drugs come in packages with Lot number, serial numbers etc. They are very traceable. If the authorities are looking to build a case around the distribution of PED's this traceability can be a key part in connecting the dots

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Berzin said:
More than likely it's not Dr. Ferrari.

He practices somewhere in the Canary Islands I believe, and doesn't mess around in Italy because he knows there are people hell-bent on nabbing him.

And he would never be caught on a wiretap. No way.

The Italians are very good at listening and they do it regularly as it is permitted for the police. So they probably have Ferrari somewhere talking about 'work' to a client.

edit:^^ i was writing a RR posted. But i reckon they have him on tape but politics have prevented him for the moment going down.

Race Radio said:
Further on this.

Posters make some good points when they talk about wiretapping. Italy does more of this then any country in the world. Ferrari most likely avoided much of this.

The key is most PEDs are commercial drugs. Unlike say Coke or Meth these drugs come in packages with Lot number, serial numbers etc. They are very traceable. If the authorities are looking to build a case around the distribution of PED's this traceability can be a key part in connecting the dots
Wouldn't clandestine labs have popped up to get around this problem?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
Wouldn't clandestine labs have popped up to get around this problem?

For EPO and CERA this would a challenge. The Chinese are making HGH and Test but this is rather recent. For now it is cheaper to just steal it.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Do we really know who has been with Ferrari in the last few years?

Well I'm sure we know one, but apart from that it is just rumours.

It seems there are more "ex-Ferrari clients" than "current Ferrari clients".

Last year or the year before that there was the rumour that several Liquigas riders at least were seen training with Ferrari on a motor.

Also on a related note, could this perhaps be linked with the investigation that concerned the contents of Popovich his hard drive? Mostly since we have not heard anything since the release that his computer and cell phones were seized. And this could well be linked to this possible investigation in Italy

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Last year or the year before that there was the rumour that several Liquigas riders at least were seen training with Ferrari on a motor.

Also on a related note, could this perhaps be linked with the investigation that concerned the contents of Popovich his hard drive? Mostly since we have not heard anything since the release that his computer and cell phones were seized. And this could well be linked to this possible investigation in Italy

Yes, it is linked to Popo. Supposedly the investigator's report has not yet been submitted to Magistrate Benedetto Roberti.

Pellizotti and Nibali were the riders said to be working with Ferrari. Ferrari is suspended by CONI, if any Italian Pro works with him they will be suspended as well. When it became public that they were working with him both became the focus of target testing, which likely resulted in the Biopassport case against Pellizotti

Race Radio said:
Yes, it is linked to Popo. Supposedly the investigator's report has not yet been submitted to Magistrate Benedetto Roberti.

Pellizotti and Nibali were the riders said to be working with Ferrari. Ferrari is suspended by CONI, if any Italian Pro works with him they will be suspended as well. When it became public that they were working with him both became the focus of target testing, which likely resulted in the Biopassport case against Pellizotti

Not possible. Lance said at the SCA trial that Shumi was a staunch anti-doping Doctor.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
it's quite obvious the team is Katusha.
Who are the riders who live in Spain?
Karpets maybe
Isaitchev and Vorganov were riding for spanish teams so maybe they live there too.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So Katusha, a team that by all accounts has dissapoined mightily so farthis year, is investigated for team wide doping. Now then, what the hell is all the other guys on :(