• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jasper Stuyven appreciation thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting that he is yet to get on the podium in a cobbled classic. Hopefully he can do that this year although winning still seems like a long shot. I always thought he would be much more dominant in Roubaix than he ended up being. Vanmarcke has been better there so far.

To be fair, there hasn't been that many Cobbled Classics so far this year. Coz... that's what you mean, right? Pretty sure Omloop is considered a Cobbled Classics...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not that long ago it was probably expected that it would have been Pedersen who was primarily going to have to work for Stuyven.
I get the impression that, as big as Mads’ big win was, himself and Stuyven are realistic about their respective abilities, in that they’re both good enough to win some long, difficult bike races, and who is better able to win which race will change week to week. But also that they’re good enough friends to be honest with each other about who can win this week, and who the next. So we’ve seen Mads working for Jasper in some races, even while wearing rainbows, but also Stuyven working for Pedersen in others.

I get the impression that, as big as Mads’ big win was, himself and Stuyven are realistic about their respective abilities, in that they’re both good enough to win some long, difficult bike races, and who is better able to win which race will change week to week. But also that they’re good enough friends to be honest with each other about who can win this week, and who the next. So we’ve seen Mads working for Jasper in some races, even while wearing rainbows, but also Stuyven working for Pedersen in others.

This fully reflect my impression of their partnership. Sure both of them probably wish they'd always be the one with the best legs and chances during races, but they seem to understand that they can achieve more together.

His palmares is not bad at all anyway:

Milano - Sanremo
KBK
Omloop
+ 1 GT stage and a few minor one day races

He doesn't have the level to be a dominator in the current peloton, but he has a good combination of engine/sprint/tactical nous.

Yeah. That’s exactly it. You don’t have to be the absolute strongest, like some of the freaks he currently competes against, if you are strong enough to be in a position where you can bring your tactical brain into play. Stuyven isn’t going to win like a MVDP, just smashing everyone, but he will always have a chance when a race gets messy and tactical.

I’ve always preferred that kind of rider to the physiological beasts.

What happened to wva today was very sad for him and the sport, but also I am extremely disappointed for Jasper with his crash today. He seemed to have his best legs since 2021 this spring and was riding in a super strong team.

The best chance to hear MVDP in Ronde is with 2 super strong teams to send riders up the road constantly, now we have a visma with maybe only Jorgensen and Benoit as options, and Trek without their best guy for Flanders in stuyven. Very sad.

What happened to wva today was very sad for him and the sport, but also I am extremely disappointed for Jasper with his crash today. He seemed to have his best legs since 2021 this spring and was riding in a super strong team.

The best chance to hear MVDP in Ronde is with 2 super strong teams to send riders up the road constantly, now we have a visma with maybe only Jorgensen and Benoit as options, and Trek without their best guy for Flanders in stuyven. Very sad.
It’s a bummer for him and for us. Mechanical when he was riding so well last weekend and now this crash which is much worse. Like you I fully expected him to be a key cog in Lidl’s strategy for Ronde.