• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jeff Novitzky Facebook Fanpage

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Uh, I suppose I have no problem if the guy has a fanpage, but the person on it using the name Jeff Novitzky is obviously not the one we know, the nonpareil if you will, and seems to be posting nothing of real substance.

Ah, but the sentiment is there!

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I dunno, he squander millions with Balco, this might be the same again. The American tax payer much be fairly miffed. I would say they couldn't care less if Armstrong was doping. Is Novitzky an ex-athelete of some type?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
don't things like this diminish the seriousness of these situations????
I would hope it is not really him, seems to be something that egomaniacs or high school girls would be into

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
When I checked this out last night there were 3 people on board, and then it went to 5. Now there are 40 something, so there's your trend so far.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
don't things like this diminish the seriousness of these situations????
I would hope it is not really him, seems to be something that egomaniacs or high school girls would be into

Can't imagine it's real - he's only been posting for 9 hours. Methinks we prolly won't see that page around much longer.

BTW, those high school girls at CN have racked up nearly 10,000 fans :D

A

Anonymous

powerste said:
Can't imagine it's real - he's only been posting for 9 hours. Methinks we prolly won't see that page around much longer.

BTW, those high school girls at CN have racked up nearly 10,000 fans :D

and they are still trying to flog the tour de france guide... someone needs to update that facebook page..

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
I dunno, he squander millions with Balco, this might be the same again. The American tax payer much be fairly miffed. I would say they couldn't care less if Armstrong was doping. Is Novitzky an ex-athelete of some type?

Here's what I know of Novitzky:

He is the son of a basketball coach, he was considered a "jock" at Mills High School in Millbrae, California. He was a 7-foot high jumper on the track team. He went on to attend San Jose State University (in California) and even made their basketball team, but he only played two games.

After graduation from university, he went to work for the Internal Revenue Service. He helped make the Balco case by going through the laboratory's garbage at night to learn the names of athlete clients. The Balco story became public in September 2003 when Novitzky led a raid on the laboratory and on a gym where Bonds trained with Balco co-conspirator Greg Anderson.

In 2008, he transferred to the Food and Drug Administration Office of Criminal Investigations as a special agent. He is known as a pit bull in the government's pursuit of information and also known for his stealth and zeal.

The guy's a beast. I wouldn't want to cross him in a court of law, either. He is known for being procedurally clean, well spoken, crossing his "t"s, dotting his "i"s, makes a fantastic witness, and presents factual evidence in a forthright manner.

I have no doubt that whatever bases Armstrong "knows" he has covered, Novitsky will find that one, miniscule, uncovered base, rip it wide open, and tear his world apart.

Novitzky's not yet finished with Bonds. When that's over and done, he will go after Armstrong et al. And Armstrong won't be on a bike. He'll be in court. And he's no expert there.

Am I a "fan" of Novitsky? Yes. Just not one of his Facebook friends.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:

you may find this to be a shock but it is the role of law enforcement to charge and convict criminals

if you are concerned about millions (billions) being squandered you might want to head over to the middle east and see what the government are doing with the taxes you pay

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
tifosa said:
Here's what I know of Novitzky:

He is the son of a basketball coach, he was considered a "jock" at Mills High School in Millbrae, California. He was a 7-foot high jumper on the track team. He went on to attend San Jose State University (in California) and even made their basketball team, but he only played two games.

After graduation from university, he went to work for the Internal Revenue Service. He helped make the Balco case by going through the laboratory's garbage at night to learn the names of athlete clients. The Balco story became public in September 2003 when Novitzky led a raid on the laboratory and on a gym where Bonds trained with Balco co-conspirator Greg Anderson.

In 2008, he transferred to the Food and Drug Administration Office of Criminal Investigations as a special agent. He is known as a pit bull in the government's pursuit of information and also known for his stealth and zeal.

The guy's a beast. I wouldn't want to cross him in a court of law, either. He is known for being procedurally clean, well spoken, crossing his "t"s, dotting his "i"s, makes a fantastic witness, and presents factual evidence in a forthright manner.

I have no doubt that whatever bases Armstrong "knows" he has covered, Novitsky will find that one, miniscule, uncovered base, rip it wide open, and tear his world apart.

Novitzky's not yet finished with Bonds. When that's over and done, he will go after Armstrong et al. And Armstrong won't be on a bike. He'll be in court. And he's no expert there.

Am I a "fan" of Novitsky? Yes. Just not one of his Facebook friends.

Good overall view. I would be concerned re your comment "He is known for being procedurally clean" - Novitzky has some baggage - see

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3896270

I get worried when a judge in the BALCO case calls Novitzky's actions "a "callous disregard" for constitutional rights."

I hope that this case is adjudicated on the facts and is not left unresolved due to misconduct on anyone's part. This case needs closure, and to have that closure not happen due to zealousness that goes beyond the bounds of any investigator's duties would be a travesty.

Speaking about facebook, there's a group page that has come up called "Petition to drop the federal investigation of Lance Armstrong". 100 strong and growing. The bottom-line of the group is simple. Investigating fraud and corruption in cycling is a waste of taxpayer money.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Cozy Beehive said:
Speaking about facebook, there's a group page that has come up called "Petition to drop the federal investigation of Lance Armstrong". 100 strong and growing. The bottom-line of the group is simple. Investigating fraud and corruption in cycling is a waste of taxpayer money.

"Every cyclist in the world would love to ride alongside the seven-time winner of the Tour de France."

May 20, 2010
Visit site
barn yard said:
"Every cyclist in the world would love to ride alongside the seven-time winner of the Tour de France."

Not this one. I am not enamored of a seven time fraud who has built fame and fortune upon the hopes and fears of the cancer community. I would prefer to ride with Jeff Novitzky.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Cozy Beehive said:

It is for this type of group that I especially want a "dislike" feature in facebook.

The real bottom-line or such groups is that truth is irrelevant. Far better to maintain illusions and fabled demigod heroes than to embrace reality.

"Leave Lance and Livestrong alone." Anybody have a vomit bag?:rolleyes:

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Cozy Beehive said:

From the Facebook page:
"We believe that a federal investigation of Lance Armstrong is a waste of time and resources, particularly during an economic downturn. The outcome of the investigation is of no benefit to the public, who pay for every penny of it. Furthermore, it adversely affects the great things that Lance and the Livestrong Foundation do for cancer research and for those afflicted by the disease. Rather than investigating professional sporting events from many years ago, the government should instead use the $200 million that would be spent on this investigation and the BALCO case to fund more important things that benefit the country and the world."

Remember kids if you hate corruption you love cancer.

This whole episode is getting surreal.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
krebs303 said:
From the Facebook page:
"We believe that a federal investigation of Lance Armstrong is a waste of time and resources, particularly during an economic downturn. The outcome of the investigation is of no benefit to the public, who pay for every penny of it. Furthermore, it adversely affects the great things that Lance and the Livestrong Foundation do for cancer research and for those afflicted by the disease. Rather than investigating professional sporting events from many years ago, the government should instead use the $200 million that would be spent on this investigation and the BALCO case to fund more important things that benefit the country and the world."

Remember kids if you hate corruption you love cancer.

This whole episode is getting surreal.

Who is "we"??? the young republican men's triathlete club of turtle creek?

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
redtreviso said:

I looked all over the page to see who put it up but it doesn't list the owners of the page anywhere that I can find.

Does that tri club have a chapter here in Baja? I am neither young or republican but if they didn't try to push there liberal views on me I could try to fit in.:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
If Novitzky, as a special agent of the IRS, has such callous disregard for constitutional rights, I'm sure the ACLU would readily and publicly champion that cause. But they have not.

Novitsky was a "special agent", after all. Yes, he had investigative powers beyond most IRS agents, and was granted those powers by the IRS. He was ultimately following a money trail, after all. For those being investigated now, Novitzky's special agent powers are granted by the FDA. Even more appropriate considering this is about doping.

It will all play out in the legal system - which is ultimately about what you can convince a judge or jury to be true.

And the public will still be allowed to have their own opinion.

As for me, I say, Go Novitsky!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
redtreviso said:

Ah yes, the all-powerful Facebook "we":

A commonly-used pseudonym for an individual seeking a shortcut to added credibility for his/her agenda.

Don't get me started on "they" :D

TRENDING THREADS