• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jim Rome on Lance

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Jim Rome, widely syndicated sports radio host, interviewed Tyler Hamilton at length today about "The Secret Race". While Jim Rome has a brash style (you either love him or hate him), he didn't mince words about Lance and Nike's eleventh hour decision to cut him loose. In sarcastic tones, he said Nike was pretty naive for the last 10 years, likely wilfully so.

You know the tide is turning when Jim Rome acknowledges the obvious on mainstream sports talk radio.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
pleyser said:
Jim Rome, widely syndicated sports radio host, interviewed Tyler Hamilton at length today about "The Secret Race". While Jim Rome has a brash style (you either love him or hate him), he didn't mince words about Lance and Nike's eleventh hour decision to cut him loose. In sarcastic tones, he said Nike was pretty naive for the last 10 years, likely wilfully so.

You know the tide is turning when Jim Rome acknowledges the obvious on mainstream sports talk radio.

the sports journalist who rose to fame by calling ram's QB jim everett "chrissy everett" :D.

I know a lot of you have no idea who Rome is or all you know is the chris evert thing, but the point is this, he has a huge following and like lance, they are somewhat robotic, if Rome believes it, they believe it (no not all of them, so please if you are a rome fan, don't flame me, but you cannot deny that a lot of his fans are that way.)

pedaling squares said:
I say that sports journalists like Jim Rome have been pretty naive for the last 10 years, likely wilfully so.

Yes Rome has been naive. But his situation is different. He is a talk show host, not a journalist. Talk Show. He talks about whatever his listeners want to talk to. And that is football, baseball, basketball etc. No body calls in to talk about cycling. For him to have Tyler come in is pretty big. He still might not care about cycling but this is a huge story. Huge. And talk show is about ratings.
So I don't care if he is ignorant to the sport, I listen to him sometimes and find him entertaining. At least he did have Tyler on to help expose the myth and I give him credit for that

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
I say that sports journalists like Jim Rome have been pretty naive for the last 10 years, likely wilfully so.

I think in Rome's case its much more likely that he didn't care. Now that its a good scandal though its definitely worth his time and interest.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I love him and hate him, Jim Rome can say the brashes things to people but at the same time if I were Jim Everett I would of stuffed that mic down his throat! Everett missed the chance back then which was a big mistake, now Rome still has that chip on his shoulder which is only there because of Everett.

Jim Rome is only jumping on the cool bus when it has become cool to be on that bus. He was as easily fooled like so many and should cuss himself out on his show for letting such a obvious thing get past him. I doubt Jim Rome knows anything about cycling other than there's bikes and guys in spandex riding around Europe.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:
Rome is the man, probably the funniest guy on radio. Go to youtube and watch "softball guy" or "gym guy" if you wanna laugh.

you must be joking, or you never saw the Jim Everett incident. When Everett came across the table you can hear Rome cry like a little girl
Jim Rome is defintely no guy

:D

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
runninboy said:
you must be joking, or you never saw the Jim Everett incident. When Everett came across the table you can hear Rome cry like a little girl

That was a pretty blatant publicity stunt. Funny though...

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
runninboy said:

That took balls. And was hilarious.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:
That took balls. And was hilarious.

Right, it takes balls to scream like a little school girl
don't think so;)
what it was was a pathetic loser who called a pro athlete names to build his own self esteem. The athlete called him on it and when he had to pay the smallest of prices for being a jerk he cowered in fear instead of taking a beating like a man. Everett never even got to beat him, which the guy code allows for in such situations, so that makes Rome a total *****.
thems the rules:D

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
runninboy said:
Right, it takes balls to scream like a little school girl
don't think so;)
what it was was a pathetic loser who called a pro athlete names to build his own self esteem. The athlete called him on it and when he had to pay the smallest of prices for being a jerk he cowered in fear instead of taking a beating like a man. Everett never even got to beat him, which the guy code allows for in such situations, so that makes Rome a total *****.
thems the rules:D

Rome's got balls. Don't be jealous.

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Rome has been a big defender of Lance I think
Oh abosolutley. I used to listen to Jim Rome regularly back when Armstrong was cheating his way to his 7 TdF titles. And Rome, who usually has a strong BS detector when it came to doping athletes, was duped. He bought the myth hook, line and sinker. He even had Armstrong on his show multiple times.

Basically, Rome was seduced by the narrative of the cancer survivor coming back from the brink of death to become the 'greatest cyclist ever'. Rome based his belief in Lance's purity, not because Armstrong had passed multiple tests, but rather because Lance looked him in the eye and told him he didn't dope. Hmm... where have we heard that one before? :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, I glad he's finally come around. With both Nike and Rome acknowleding the fraud, critical mass has finally been reached.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
Yes Rome has been naive. But his situation is different. He is a talk show host, not a journalist. Talk Show.
No difference, Rob. He sells a product in the sports media and chooses which message gets out there, just like the columnists. When Lance Armstrong could be sold as a hero, Rome sold that product. When Amstrong's fall sells, he peddles that angle. As nice as it is to see Armstrong shown for his true self, I still wonder where the hell these guys were when that story wasn't such an easy sell.

TRENDING THREADS