• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
iTT worse then expected. I'm starting to see a trend here, since the end of last season and the start of this one, weaker on itt but stronger on mountain stages.

Almeida stated after todays iTT result "It was a nice parcours, quite technical, so I didn't take any big risks. I felt good and I'm quite happy with my time. These first few days are about not losing any big time on my rivals, so it's going well so far."

He also stated a few days ago to a Portuguese cycling podcast that his aim for this Years Giro is being in the podium and not winning it. He said that he still needs 1 more year of development before being ready to win the Giro.
I remember the Voight podcast from last year when he talked about that his main priority was getting better at climbing. Voight then questioned him as he thought he might smoke the others in the ITT instead. It was an interesting pod.

Fascinated by how he plans his carrer so far ahead while so many others right now seems to rush theirs instead.

I had my doubts from the moment the selection was made. Ulissi, Covi are riders for hill rides. Costa is a rider for the mid-mountains but there is already wear and tear. Formolo the only helper uphill. This team is worse in the mountains than the team that Pogacar had in the Tour de France in 2020. Let's hope these riders are top in the 3rd week. For a rider like Almeida it is already absurd to have Gaviria and Richeze in your selection. Covi and Formolo are also here with their own goals. Winning a ride. I personally had taken 1 or 2 of the following names. Majka, Bennett, Mcnulty or Fisher Black

I had my doubts from the moment the selection was made. Ulissi, Covi are riders for hill rides. Costa is a rider for the mid-mountains but there is already wear and tear. Formolo the only helper uphill. This team is worse in the mountains than the team that Pogacar had in the Tour de France in 2020. Let's hope these riders are top in the 3rd week. For a rider like Almeida it is already absurd to have Gaviria and Richeze in your selection. Covi and Formolo are also here with their own goals. Winning a ride. I personally had taken 1 or 2 of the following names. Majka, Bennett, Mcnulty or Fisher Black

How did you improve your English by this much in recent weeks? If Almeida does the same cycling wise he will win this race easily! ;)

So Gaviria doesn't have the right to do any GT this year? I think you're being to pessimistic regarding the team.

It seems that today was team tactics, but I think it was risky to leave him by himself for the whole climb. The risk of punctures or mechanicals is always present, he should have at least one collegue with him in case he needs a quick bike change.

Reactions: groogster and KZD
After todays stage i'm more confident with my predictions, I saw Almeida saving himself today with the GC favourites group, looking sharp and riding with ease on the climb.
Let's see fridays stage, it's a tricky one, and Blockhaus, if Almeida is still in the same time as Carapaz and Yates i might put some money on him to win this Giro because he will be on peak form on 3rd week

Almeida riding without his team in the mountains reminded me of how Vingegaard had to do a lot of the tour last year on his own.

And a tweet about it that Pog liked. I wish I could find it now as it was hilarious. Incredibly ironic if Almeida is alone in the mountains and this year it's Pogs team doing the same thing Pog (low key) critisized Jumbo for doing in the tour 2021 :grinning:

Reactions: Sandisfan
LR podcast suggested yesterday that UAE has like two separate teams at the giro; a Portuguese (GC) team and an Italian (free role) team.

He might be on the nose.

If Almeida does podium in this race really is basically more or less up to himself alone.
I think it's an exaggeration. There's quite a few teams that normally combine stage hunting with a GC pursuit quite well, like Astana. Yesterday was a pretty obvious breakaway stage.

As Almeida stays in contention for the win he'll get more and more support from this team as this race goes on.

I don't think Almeida lacks team support, perhaps he lacks a domestique who can climb with the very best when the racing gets hard in the third week.
Covi, Ulissi and Rui Costa were all with Almeida until late in yesterday's stage. Then Ulissi and (to a lesser degree) Covi let go to save some energy. Formolo was given an opportunity and almost won the stage but he's one of the most trustworthy gregario in the pro peloton.

The way I see it, UAE's team tactics problems are vastly exaggerated.

I don't think Almeida lacks team support, perhaps he lacks a domestique who can climb with the very best when the racing gets hard in the third week.
Covi, Ulissi and Rui Costa were all with Almeida until late in yesterday's stage. Then Ulissi and (to a lesser degree) Covi let go to save some energy. Formolo was given an opportunity and almost won the stage but he's one of the most trustworthy gregario in the pro peloton.

The way I see it, UAE's team tactics problems are vastly exaggerated.
It's gonna be fun when Ayuso rides La Vuelta.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
LR podcast suggested yesterday that UAE has like two separate teams at the giro; a Portuguese (GC) team and an Italian (free role) team.

He might be on the nose.

If Almeida does podium in this race really is basically more or less up to himself alone.

Oh no! Rui Costa and Rui Oliveira are nice cyclists, and prime Rui Costa would have been a nice super domestique for Joao (at GCs), but to have a PT GC competitive team, Joao would need to add Ruben Guerreiro (EF) and Nelson Oliveira (Movistar)!

But as others had said, as the time for the finish diminishes and with Joao still in contention the team will regroup around him, I'm sure!

Reactions: noob
Us portuguese people always loves to complain about Almeida's teams. It was the same in Giro 2020, Giro 2021, Paris-Nice 2021, Catalunya 2021 and now in Giro the clueless are already on UAE social media bashing the team. It doesn't help than the m*rons of the portuguese Eurosport commentators spend a stage (like yesterday) talking that Formolo shouldn't be on the break, and that's a disrespect to the leader and so on and so on (even José Azevedo says that, but that should be expected as he's shown again and again that his teams, mainly Katusha, lacked any kind of tactical risks).

Or the portuguese cycling followers are clueless (and there's a great probability that's the case) or Almeida doesn't have the personality to form a group around him because if that's the problem not in 1 but in 2 teams (and in one where he's being well paid for what he's doing), and not once but in every race he is the rider with the best chance of an overall result, something is missing. And Almeida doesn't seem to me to have the kind of personality where he puts the fist on the table when it's needed.

Humm, I agree and I disagree with you, Joao doesn't seem to have a leading personality, he is a shy low-profile guy in fact! But when the team management says he is the leader (cause he is in fact the strongest rider) the other most follow the hierarchy orders. The problem (if there is one) seems to be a Movistar problem, they want everyone happy and to avoid conflict, so they make promises to everyone that conflicts with each other! I think if Joao proves himself with a Giro Podium or (let's dream) a win, the problem will solve for himself disregarding his lack of aggressive/assertive personality!

Reactions: Sandisfan and noob
Oh no! Rui Costa and Rui Oliveira are nice cyclists, and prime Rui Costa would have been a nice super domestique for Joao (at GCs), but to have a PT GC competitive team, Joao would need to add Ruben Guerreiro (EF) and Nelson Oliveira (Movistar)!

But as others had said, as the time for the finish diminishes and with Joao still in contention the team will regroup around him, I'm sure!

No doubt. He will have plenty of support when he needs it. For those saying UAE could be stronger, there are a fairly limited amount of true mountain super-doms, i.e. riders who can stay with their team leader on the hardest climbs but don't have ambitions of their own. Sometimes you get lucky with a Majka or Kuss.

No doubt. He will have plenty of support when he needs it. For those saying UAE could be stronger, there are a fairly limited amount of true mountain super-doms, i.e. riders who can stay with their team leader on the hardest climbs but don't have ambitions of their own. Sometimes you get lucky with a Majka or Kuss.
Ooh! This! Subconsciously this is exactly what goes on in my brain. I expect subconsciously every domestique to be Kuss, Maijka and Martinez! No wonder I am disappointed!

Thanks for putting words on my thoughts. (I am ruined by too much Horner podcasts! :flushed::joycat:) :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS