• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

João Almeida - Bota Lume

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Last year, in Evenepoel's absence, gave him the status he has now. Without last year, Almeida would be nothing more than a domestique and nobody, not his fans, not himself, would feel wronged by having to work for Evenepoel.

I don‘t understand what relevance this is supposed to have. If a rider has done nothing in the past, he won’t resent being ordered to work for a leader, yes sure. And when a rider has done something in the past and displayed the ability to lead, that usually changes. A year ago, Almeida had done little. Now he is one of the better regarded young talents in the peloton. That‘s all a normal progression. He doesn’t owe Remco some type of additional gratitude for accidentally getting out of his way for ninth months.

Again, team orders were: "everybody for Remco". He neglected his duties by clearly riding for his own account while Evenepoel was suffering in the back.

I don’t think that the behaviour of all concerned on the stage and their statements after fit with a situation where Almeida had been told before the stage that he was a babysitter only. It seems much more likely that DQS continued their inconsistent man management, letting riders believe things about their own role which would keep them happy, then making different decisions in ways that just make everything messier. GT GC is different from classics racing and I dont think they have adequately adapted their approach.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Evenepoel may be a much bigger talent. Certainly his results are incredibly impressive. But you can’t expect other talents to just automatically slot into their own role in your vision of the cosmic order. They aren’t going to be grateful for the mere opportunity to wash Remco’s feet. Particularly not when Evenepoel is coming back from a nine month lay off and appeared to be in the process of dying on the bike.

Ok, but you have to be realistic too. Imagine Bahrain signs a legit Arab super-talent or ISN an Israeli or god forbid one of the french teams finds a local guy who can ride a bike in TTs and uphill - you will always be #2 regardless how strong you actually are.

Reactions: noob
I don‘t understand what relevance this is supposed to have. If a rider has done nothing in the past, he won’t resent being ordered to work for a leader, yes sure. And when a rider has done something in the past and displayed the ability to lead, that usually changes. A year ago, Almeida had done little. Now he is one of the better regarded young talents in the peloton. That‘s all a normal progression. He doesn’t owe Remco some type of additional gratitude for accidentally getting out of his way for ninth months.

I don’t think that the behaviour of all concerned on the stage and their statements after fit with a situation where Almeida had been told before the stage that he was a babysitter only. It seems much more likely that DQS continued their inconsistent man management, letting riders believe things about their own role which would keep them happy, then making different decisions in ways that just make everything messier. GT GC is different from classics racing and I dont think they have adequately adapted their approach.

You are interpreting the team's statements the way they best fit your arguments.

DQS was very clear since stage 4 that Evenepoel is the team leader. It doesn't matter what Almeida was promised before the Giro, he is completely out of contention now because of himself and should help Remco. I don't understand how anyone can spin this like it is team's fault. We have Almeida directly saying that he didn't want to help.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and markene2
DQS was very clear since stage 4 that Evenepoel is the team leader. It doesn't matter what Almeida was promised before the Giro, he is completely out of contention now because of himself and should help Remco. I don't understand how anyone can spin this like it is team's fault. We have Almeida directly saying that he didn't want to help.

Why did they chose Remco to attack the intermediate sprints instead of João?
Why didn't they help João Almeida in stage 4?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Why did they chose Remco to attack the intermediate sprints instead of João?
Why didn't they help João Almeida in stage 4?

Question 1: What? what is your point?
Question 2: They did help Joao. He had 2 teammates. It was obvious that Remco was plan A or B and therefore he was not going to drop. But Joao dropped too early and was bad. What did you expect DQS to do?

The best they can do is to sit down and have a beer. Talking about week 3 and if any special plans are involved, determining who got who's back in making it happen. At best they have one shot before the TT. Thinking on how Evenepoel can alone drop Bernal (Ganna). Good luck with that. Alternative being start wheel sucking and get a much closer look of Bernal back. But don't expect much from it.

All in all disappointing tactics so far from Deceuninck–Quick-Step. Good thing i didn't write in that other thread, on how their tactics are usually OK.

The best they can do is to sit down and have a beer. Talking about week 3 and if any special plans are involved, determining who got who's back in making it happen. At best they have one shot before the TT. Thinking on how Evenepoel can alone drop Bernal (Ganna). Good luck with that. Alternative being start wheel sucking and get a much closer look of Bernal back. But don't expect much from it.

All in all disappointing tactics so far from Deceuninck–Quick-Step. Good thing i didn't write in that other thread, on how their tactics are usually OK.
What you mean disappointing tactics? They are clearly copying JV's tactics from the Basque Country which you thought was brilliant.

Reactions: RedheadDane
If we are discussing DQS's tactics I don't even know if they did too much wrong. I think that the Almeida situation was not handled perfectly in terms of communication but the way bigger problem than tactics and strategy is that Masnada and Knox decided to not "show up" at this Giro. Expected way more from them. Also Cavagna and Honore not quite live up to my expectations at least yet.

It's clear DQS still needs Almeida, so they can't burn him down. And he did actually did some good work yesterday.
It was half-hearted, but it was the only man that could help Remco.

I also think DQS mismanaged Almeida. Even when you lose your GC in stage 4, you have trained hard and have the mindset to still try to be competitive. If DQS didn't give Almeida clear orders to stay with Remco, I blame the management more than Almeida. I mean: you know Almeida has the mindset of a GC rider when he started this race. To give up on that after 4 days, requires a good talk to make sure that Almeida fully understands what's expected from him in an atmosphere of mutual respect and professionalism.

Almeida is now behaving rather unprofessional, but we don't know what happened on the bus and in the hotel, the last couple of days.

It's clear DQS still needs Almeida, so they can't burn him down. And he did actually did some good work yesterday.
It was half-hearted, but it was the only man that could help Remco.

I also think DQS mismanaged Almeida. Even when you lose your GC in stage 4, you have trained hard and have the mindset to still try to be competitive. If DQS didn't give Almeida clear orders to stay with Remco, I blame the management more than Almeida. I mean: you know Almeida has the mindset of a GC rider when he started this race. To give up on that after 4 days, requires a good talk to make sure that Almeida fully understands what's expected from him in an atmosphere of mutual respect and professionalism.

Almeida is now behaving rather unprofessional, but we don't know what happened on the bus and in the hotel, the last couple of days.
I've always been supportive of Almeida, quite a fan actually, and i think he's a great rider who deserves to be more than a domestique.

But what happened last year, him getting a shot, was because Evenepoel crashed. The problem going into this Giro, was that Evenepoel's recovery appears to have gone better than initially planned. In less than 3 months he's gone from not being able to ride, to being a Giro favorite. That means that even 2 or 3 weeks before the Giro, they still could not have known how good Evenepoel would be. From the team's perspective, it made sense to say their #2 was going to be team leader, because their #1 was still recovering. Fast forward a few weeks, and suddenly it seems that their #1 is in good shape, potentially as good or better than their #2. And in the first uphill test, #2 loses 5 minutes. At that moment they needed to make a decision and they did.

I've always been supportive of Almeida, quite a fan actually, and i think he's a great rider who deserves to be more than a domestique.

But what happened last year, him getting a shot, was because Evenepoel crashed. The problem going into this Giro, was that Evenepoel's recovery appears to have gone better than initially planned. In less than 3 months he's gone from not being able to ride, to being a Giro favorite. That means that even 2 or 3 weeks before the Giro, they still could not have known how good Evenepoel would be. From the team's perspective, it made sense to say their #2 was going to be team leader, because their #1 was still recovering. Fast forward a few weeks, and suddenly it seems that their #1 is in good shape, potentially as good or better than their #2. And in the first uphill test, #2 loses 5 minutes. At that moment they needed to make a decision and they did.
Before the first uphill test Remco attacked intermediate sprints which means that the Team decided to bet on him right from the start. Plus, when Almeida had a bad day he did have any help from his teammates.

TRENDING THREADS