• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Johnny sues

May 20, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hoogerland-to-sue-over-tour-de-france-2011-crash

I am stunned that neither the ASO nor Euro Media have come to the party. While I apportion the majority of the blame to the driver of the car, ASO have a large responsibility for safety/security of riders esp during the race.

ASO seems content to let this matter disappear under the carpet. To my mind this compromises their integrity/standing with the peloton. Surely if ASO at least made loud noises (lip service) then the riders would have confidence of future safety. In addition genuine action would only reflect positively on ASO.

The same applies to Euro Media ...in Spades!

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
IMO he has every right to sue over what happened. It was complete negligence on behalf of the driver. Everyone saw how badly he was hurt after the incident and if the crash is still affecting his career then he has all the more reason to do so. Seems like Euro Media where just trying to ride the issue out until Johnny eventually got over it and gave up trying to get money out of them. Good move by him.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Marcus135 said:
IMO he has every right to sue over what happened. It was complete negligence on behalf of the driver. Everyone saw how badly he was hurt after the incident and if the crash is still affecting his career then he has all the more reason to do so. Seems like Euro Media where just trying to ride the issue out until Johnny eventually got over it and gave up trying to get money out of them. Good move by him.

No disputing his right to sue!

Recon it is egregious of ASO and Euro Media that they have not arranged settlement. Not as is there is a lack of evidence/witnesses (as illustrated above!) that would lead the "man on the Clapham bus" to doubt the situation.

Come on ASO Euro Media try to regain the high ground...well at least "don't drown" you idiots!

He definitely has every right to sue. I remember being quite impressed by how forgiving he was of the whole situations (still am actually).
Just when it happened his reaction wasn't "They're gonna pay for this!:mad:" but rather "They didn't do it on purpose, and I'm just glad to be alive."

JA.Tri said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hoogerland-to-sue-over-tour-de-france-2011-crash

I am stunned that neither the ASO nor Euro Media have come to the party. While I apportion the majority of the blame to the driver of the car, ASO have a large responsibility for safety/security of riders esp during the race.

ASO seems content to let this matter disappear under the carpet. To my mind this compromises their integrity/standing with the peloton. Surely if ASO at least made loud noises (lip service) then the riders would have confidence of future safety. In addition genuine action would only reflect positively on ASO.

The same applies to Euro Media ...in Spades!
I can understand they're not too eager to pay a million bucks, or whatever Hoogerland (or his lawyer) wants. But it seems like all initiative for some kind of compensation has to come from Hoogerland's side, ever since it happened, and that's just shameful.

You can just crash into a rider and act like nothing happened. But still cash in when he manages to get back on his bike and provide a whole lot of publicity for your race.

TRENDING THREADS