• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonas Vingegaard: Godzilla, the King of Monsters

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From the Danish Media about Vingegaard's Vuelta preparation:

1. He will not do any altitude training before the Vuelta. He'll spend time with his family. He's hoping he'll be at 100 % for the Vuelta and be a contender for the overall victory.
  2. According to this article, he had his first look at the Vuelta route Monday this week.

His mother will give him a lecture, no doubt about that. Planning to go to the Vuelta since december and only looking to the route this week? How can he achieve to do something with this kind of preparation? It's like studying for an exam on the eve.

From one of the Danish tabloids:
VINGEGAARD'S MOTHER TO POGACAR: 'HE HAS TO PREPARE BETTER'

"Vingegaard's mother has revealed the secret behind his success. It's about preparation. She emphasized in an interview how much work her son had put in prior to the TdF - but there was more than that. For while Pogacar spent the restday doing back-flips in the pool, Vingegaard was preparing his effort on the time trial, which turned out to be one of the Tour's most decisive stages. Vingegaard's mother was clear: 'If Pogacar had any ambition to win the race, he really should have prepared better'."

Vingegaard's mother: Pogacar has to prepare better

Good one! Definitely some shots fired at Pogi, haha. But TBH it's not really a good tactic to spur a monster, to give him additional motivation. Praise, not criticize, is the way to go with rivals like Pog.

"Vingegaard's mother has revealed the secret behind his success. It's about preparation. She emphasized in an interview how much work her son had put in prior to the TdF - but there was more than that. For while Pogacar spent the restday doing back-flips in the pool, Vingegaard was preparing his effort on the time trial, which turned out to be one of the Tour's most decisive stages. Vingegaard's mother was clear: 'If Pogacar had any ambition to win the race, he really should have prepared better'."

For those arrogant takes, I hope Jumbo/Vingegaard have to pay the price sooner than later. But fits perfectly well with the other rest day comments about FDJ. In that sense they are really US Postal/Armstrong-esque (or Sky for the younger ones). As if pro sports is not highly professional across teams. Find your doping secret but stay quiet about it. Ever wondered why Contador was liked and not Froome? Well, its largely that part I would argue. Contador, a dominating force for years, did not claim he invented cycling. And Pogacar obviously did recons and prep as well, no backflip in the pool is in any way relevant. But as long as thats the narrative that pleases the wide public (be it pillows, "busting my ass off on the bike" and whatever "explanation" was out there already at some point), history will repeat.

His mother will give him a lecture, no doubt about that. Planning to go to the Vuelta since december and only looking to the route this week? How can he achieve to do something with this kind of preparation? It's like studying for an exam on the eve.
Agreed, it sounds pretty strange. But I guess if he maintains his level from the Tour, he should be head and shoulders above the competitors - unless Evenepoel and Ayuso have made a big jump in performance since Tour of Switzerland

Reactions: Lui98 and SHAD0W93
Ever wondered why Contador was liked and not Froome? Well, its largely that part I would argue. Contador, a dominating force for years, did not claim he invented cycling. And Pogacar obviously did recons and prep as well, no backflip in the pool is in any way relevant. But as long as thats the narrative that pleases the wide public (be it pillows, "busting my ass off on the bike" and whatever "explanation" was out there already at some point), history will repeat.
Well, you've apparently forgotten how Pogacar claimed two years ago that the key to his incredibly good ITT ride on Stage 5 was route reconnaissance. Let's not forget what happened in 2020, when Pogacar famously rode to feel without a power meter or computer on Stage 20, and that somehow helped him to pull off the Miracle at La Planche des Belles Filles. It seems to me that for some reason you were leaning towards the crowd-pleasing narrative when Pogacar was the one in the maillot jaune standing on the podium in Paris...

JV (both cyclist and team) really want to end the season with all GT wins and absolute zero friends left in the peloton 😂

Well, you've apparently forgotten how Pogacar claimed two years ago that the key to his incredibly good ITT ride on Stage 5 was route reconnaissance. Let's not forget what happened in 2020, when Pogacar famously rode to feel without a power meter or computer on Stage 20, and that somehow helped him to pull off the Miracle at La Planche des Belles Filles. It seems to me that for some reason you were leaning towards the crowd-pleasing narrative when Pogacar was the one in the maillot jaune standing on the podium in Paris...
During 85% of the ITT he used a power meter, only stopped using it after the bike change on the climb.

Reactions: Vudy and SHAD0W93

We need to hear from Pog’s mom on this. Screw Elon Musk vs Mark Zuckerberg, Dana White needs to get the battle of the moms in the octagon.

I feel like Pog and Vinge are going to be at a whole nother level next year.

Last edited:
So he will extra load on love before the Vuelta as preparation and hopes to be 100% due to that. (What is this, a romantic movie about a grandmother telling how she makes her famous biscuits with a secret ingredient?)

And they decided the Vuelta in December, but he just started looking at the route? But he wins because he is extra prepared compared to the others...

These JV stories/explanations have more holes than an ant-farm

Are Danish tabloids on the same level of BS that tabloids are here in the US?

Clearly Pogoman's path to success is to hire Vingoman's mother as a coach!

We need to hear from Pog’s mom on this. Screw Elon Musk vs Mark Zuckerberg, Dana White needs to get the battle of the moms in the octagon.

I feel like Pog and Vinge are going to be at a whole nother level next year.
Last year we said the same, and Vingoman definitely upped his game. I think Pogoman was on track till his injury. Let's hope they both have an injury and illness free preparation next year

Physiologically impossible with no altitude camp unless living in an altitude tent or visiting the you-know-what-ic.
Yeah, I thought that sounded really weird too. From what I recall from Tyler Hamilton's book the hematocrit drops pretty drastically during a stage race like TdF - or at least that's what happens as you get more and more exhausted, if you're not doping. So I'm surprised that Vingegaard will maintain his level with no altitude training