• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, if breathing heavily affects his recovery he wouldn't be doing anything aside from low-stress mobility in rehab. Considering the gradual loss of both fitness and muscle tone, he may end up writing off serious competition for the entire year. He's a rare and expensive commodity and whether JV likes it or not; they can't force him to jeopardize his career. Both Jonas and JV no doubt have insurance for this possibility so it's not just about current value and money. We'd all love to see that injury resurrection but you can't force this sort of recovery.
Johan Musseuw used alot of means for his most dramatic, victorious return at Paris Roubaix relatively quickly after his leg injury. None of his prescriptions apply to Jonas' case and we may be looking into time frames like Remco endured. Hope not.
I don't think Visma will jeopardize his career. They know better than us what they are doing, especially when Visma is the best team. They know better the current situation of Vingegaard.

If it's to risky for him to be in the Tour plus not being there in good shape, then certainly they will not allow him to go to the Tour France.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Visma-Lease a Bike Keeps Faith in Jonas Vingegaard: ‘Winning the Tour Will Be Difficult, but Not Impossible’
Team brass upbeat for Vingegaard's title defense despite scrapping altitude camp, Dauphiné, bats away rumors Van Aert will return to racing at Tour of Hungary.

• Wow
Reactions: noob and SHAD0W93
Visma-Lease a Bike Keeps Faith in Jonas Vingegaard: ‘Winning the Tour Will Be Difficult, but Not Impossible’
Team brass upbeat for Vingegaard's title defense despite scrapping altitude camp, Dauphiné, bats away rumors Van Aert will return to racing at Tour of Hungary.

No Hungary but Norway.

I know some people think these interviews aren't newsworthy but they have actually made me a lot more optimistic that he'll be there. I think team insiders usually try to downplay the chances of their riders, especially when they are coming back from injury. So an open acknowledgement of them working towards a Tour start seems like a very positive sign.
Probably he is already more advanced in the recovery than what they are telling, because like you said they were very optmistic and they normally downplay the chances of their riders when they come back from injury.

Certainly he is already doing some decent work on the turbo trainer. No way he would had some chance of going to the Tour if he stayed one month without being on a bike.

They probably want to see how Pogacar does in the Giro as well in relation to Vingegaard’s recovery process.
And keep an eye on Roglic in the mean time which has to be part of their planning. How would that look to send Jonas with rushed preparation to get beaten by one of the guys that could have helped him win or take the title for JV if he wasn't ready? Increasingly they are finding themselves in Patrick's shoes for GT strategy.

Reactions: Sandisfan
To prep the Vuelta

Not if he can't attend the altitude camp or the Dauphine. If he can't attend a small stage race containing some Tour territory 3 weeks prior to le Grand Depart, how is he ready to do the hardest race this year?
Jonas is still the best source for what he can accomplish. Let's hear from the horse when he's ready to gallop back into competition.
Probably he will do altitude camp during June. It's not me, it’s Zeerman who says he can do it. He knows better the situation than all of us at the moment.

According to Zeeman no altitude camp which starts now and no Dauphine but Tour still possible. No info about training, still only about recovery. Do they want him to ride the Tour with so much time without training? (1 month already and counting) or is he already on stationary bike?
Probably he will do altitude camp during June. It's not me, it’s Zeerman who says he can do it. He knows better the situation than all of us at the moment.
Nope. Jonas', Remco's, Wout's personal physicians know best and don't talk. Teams are about sports and sponsor promotion.

Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Don't you think the physicians have informed the team management?
No. Why would a personal physician of a private contractor for a Pro team provide information unless required to do so or authorized by the Athlete? Most pro sports teams have their own medical appraisers (I call them that because they project time and availability of the livestock the team has under contract). Unless the team medical/training staff have the first and last look of a situation and are involved in specific training they only know what they're told. That's why lower tier riders have to fend for themselves or rely on medical information provided by a team/LLC/SportingGroup. That's also the information distance the teams prefer and profess when a rider is luminescently doped so they can feign ignorance.

Do you think a 2 time Tour winner has that sort of contractual and medical arrangement? If he does, we'd know more specific stuff or should question what is offered. It all sounds pretty vague and IMO racing is believing.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
This is the same team which had Rogla riding the TdF with a vertebrae fracture back in 2022. Rog's physiotherapist even went so far as to question Jumbo's judgement regarding the wellbeing of their riders (something about the team's medical staff 'forgetting' their hippocratic oath).

I mean I get Vingegaard's fans want him to be ready to fight for the TdF but quite honestly it's a bit absurd considering what happened. Looking at similar cases (obviously with all caveats involved), it could be possible for Vinge to be at the start of the TdF. I don't dispute that. Alaphilippe suffered similar injuries in Liège a couple of years ago & came back within a time range which would allow for Vingegaard (if he recovers similarly) to do the Tour.

But actually competing for the win is something else entirely. It seems like Visma would rather take their chances & roll the dice with the 'hope' Vinge can pull off a miracle in July rather than take the more realistic route & target the Vuelta (or next season).

This is the same team which had Rogla riding the TdF with a vertebrae fracture back in 2022. Rog's physiotherapist even went so far as to question Jumbo's judgement regarding the wellbeing of their riders (something about the team's medical staff 'forgetting' their hippocratic oath).

I mean I get Vingegaard's fans want him to be ready to fight for the TdF but quite honestly it's a bit absurd considering what happened. Looking at similar cases (obviously with all caveats involved), it could be possible for Vinge to be at the start of the TdF. I don't dispute that. Alaphilippe suffered similar injuries in Liège a couple of years ago & came back within a time range which would allow for Vingegaard (if he recovers similarly) to do the Tour.

But actually competing for the win is something else entirely. It seems like Visma would rather take their chances & roll the dice with the 'hope' Vinge can pull off a miracle in July rather than take the more realistic route & target the Vuelta (or next season).
The Rog case is quite different. The team itself missed a diagnosis probably because if Rog still goes as hard as he did probably it cant be that bad.

Now they have all the medical facts, amd the worst that can happen is Vingegaard starting the Tour in poor condition and getting worse as the race goes on

Reactions: noob