• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

José Luis Martinez, doping distributor, caught

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 24, 2010
Visit site
Having been through dope tests before I don't think it's as simple a chaperone. Granted this was in ice hockey but I would assume the process should be the same. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The four times I've been tested there was a chaperone, a doctor, myself and my rep who was allowed to witness. I've also stood as a rep three or four times for my players when I've been coaching.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
there are multiple uci comissaris watching over it

At the test, there is a medical person there.
But the point of a chaperone is to make sure nothing happens between the rider finishing the race and when they present themselves to doping control.

But surely the main point is the trusted access he'd get to all backstage areas?
Perfect for a motorman.
If he's a big fan of big mig (see photo above) then maybe he'd be vulnerable to exploitation.
Sure would love him to tell it all, but I'm not holding my breath:(

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
neineinei said:
According to the rapports he behaved suspiciously while chaperoning, whatever that mean. Maybe he was a bit too eager about who he was to chaperon?

UCI certainly knows how to pick them. You'd think there would be ample supply of good ppl wanting a job in Spain the last two years, but they had to hire an ex-cyclist who of course is friends with some of the riders, not to mention he was implicated in Operation Puerto.

being a chaperone isn't a job obviously

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Riders knew if he was working

So if you knew your buddy was chaperone on a stage - what risks do you think some dodgy riders would take???

People likely noticed he was making sure he picked certain riders if their numbers came up or they placed.

Completely corrupt. Totally messed up. Wow I don't think even Bruyneel could have organized something better than this.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Jose luis martinez seems quite active on twitter.
Jose Luis Martinez L ‏@martinezlevy

@albertocontador Felicidades Alberto por tu declaración de Armstrong. Honras al deporte y a ti con ese apoyo. Saludos

Jose Luis Martinez L ‏@martinezlevy

@UCI_cycling Así como se han Castigado a Ciclistas también se debe Castigar a la UCI por el Mal Control y Debieran Renunciar sus Dirigentes

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
of course I see that, but it's not as easy to cover your pee, also what if martinez isn't your chaperone in a stage for a rider that is doped? talk about risky
I am convinced Ryo that you are deliberately obtuse. Clearly it is not only about the probability that shenanigans have occurred but the appearance of integrity. The system as far as possible needs to appear to be above reproach or not prone to conflicts of interest which are easy to avoid.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
as we were talking about how a corruptable chaperone could come in handy in the fight against anti-doping, here's a relevant case in point:

Cobblestones said:
Handball is not a very popular sport outside of Germany and a few other European countries. In Denmark and Norway it is huge.

Doping controls were circumvented by the person who was supposed to take the samples, who was peeing into the cups herself (source in German). A few juicy details: the German Handball Union knew about this for about half a year but chose to not make it public. The testing company was also used for taking samples during swimming, hockey (field, not ice I presume), tennis, and baseball competitions (doesn't say whether women's sport only, or both). Apparently the tester simply stayed at home and peed in all the cups herself (maybe she was too lazy to come to work).

Anyway, it has no direct relation to cycling :dramatic music: or does it???
what would an incorruptable chaperone look like?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
as we were talking about how a corruptable chaperone could come in handy in the fight against anti-doping, here's a relevant case in point:

think Usain Bolt liked the Swedish Handball Team

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
. . .

Dirty Harry? The Governator? Scooby-doo?

Or wait - wait - how about any one of our Babes on Bikes? There are plenty there who are just plain easy to look at, and I could care less about the "incorruptable" bit, eh? But leave Tammy off the list - we know she's incorruptable.

TRENDING THREADS