• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Juan Ayuso

Well,

I thought i’d be early here but boy is putting out Ullrich and Armstrong times, or sorry, he is destroying Ullrich and Armstrong-times in the tt. 2 minutes and 7 seconds to the big german and 3 minutes and 51 second to the disgraced Armstrong? This is Indurainesque.

One hit wonder or are we in for something truly remarkable here?

Well,

I thought i’d be early here but boy is putting out Ullrich and Armstrong times, or sorry, he is destroying Ullrich and Armstrong-times in the tt. 2 minutes and 7 seconds to the big german and 3 minutes and 51 second to the disgraced Armstrong? This is Indurainesque.

One hit wonder or are we in for something truly remarkable here?

The article is about the 5th stage and not the last TT.

I don't think the article is accurate, the record was held by Koldo, who finished ahead of Ullrich on that stage in 2006. Btw, the record was broken not only by Ayuso but also by Kelderman, Gall, Bilbao, Skjelmose, Uran, Bardet, Sheffield, Evenepoel, Teuns and Uijtdebroecks. There was a strong tailwind...

I don't know what makes you think the guy is a one hit wonder. He finished third in the Vuelta last year as a teenager with Covid. The guy is the biggest talent in cycling.

I don't think so. I haven't seen the times from 2003, 2000 nor 1995. I'd think Tonkov was the fastest.

OK, clarification, best time since at least 2006. I have only looked here - http://www.climbing-records.com/2023/06/juan-ayuso-becomes-ultra-mythical.html

Just had a quick look at that stage, but it doesn't seem to me that Tonkov's time is better. Maybe if someone has more time they can calculate it accurately -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTUlWYczNAE

Pavel Tonkov was the greatest. Maybe no cyclist ever has looked so concentrated. I started the link at like 14 minutes and was just sucked in. Heli shot closing in on the yellow jersey struggling... and it's Alex Zülle! What's Tonkov doing now? I hope he's well.