• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jumbo, Ineos, QS and UAE against the world

Who will win more races in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since QS is the only team of the four with a partial focus on sprinters and sprint trains, I'd say it's gonna be "the lot". There's a lot of "cheap" races with sprints on offer, and even though Olav Kooij looks like the real deal, Viviani, Dekker and Trentin aren't gonna get many "easy" wins. Van Aert might do something in the Tour, but he's just a victory machine regardless of terrain. Also most likely the strong focus on GC for Ineos, JV and UAE will hurt their chances of breakaway opportunities.

Since QS is the only team of the four with a partial focus on sprinters and sprint trains, I'd say it's gonna be "the lot". There's a lot of "cheap" races with sprints on offer, and even though Olav Kooij looks like the real deal, Viviani, Dekker and Trentin aren't gonna get many "easy" wins. Van Aert might do something in the Tour, but he's just a victory machine regardless of terrain. Also most likely the strong focus on GC for Ineos, JV and UAE will hurt their chances of breakaway opportunities.
Then again Philipsen and Merlier will take a lot of sprint wins that don't count towards 'the lot', also in cheap Belgian races. I also think the big 4 won't stay ahead but Alpecin not being WT means it there's a real chance I'm wrong.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jaylew
We really need Van der Poel back in peak shape to battle these four teams. If not, I fear that Pog, Roglic, Van Aert, Ala + the other guys in these teams will be close to a clean sweep in the biggest GTs and biggest one-day and one-week races. VdP can at least give the a whoopin in the classics, limiting their dominance somewhat.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I think people here underestimate the amount of smaller (French in particular) races that are always won by French teams (because well, there's only French teams participating).

If it would just be WT races or even WT + .Pro it would be the superteams dominating but that's not the case.

Reactions: jaylew
I think people here underestimate the amount of smaller (French in particular) races that are always won by French teams (because well, there's only French teams participating).

If it would just be WT races or even WT + .Pro it would be the superteams dominating but that's not the case.
Very true but only only Ag2r, Cofidis, and FDJ are WT. Some of those French races will be won by Arkea, TotalEnergies, and B&B.

Prime example was today. Neither of those wins added to the group tally.

Don't forget Ackermann and Gaviria. Sure, they aren't what they once were but both should still be able to contribute some wins for UAE.

Nov 15, 2018
Visit site
In the case of Ineos it is apparent they are building a team of very young, talented riders. With money to burn they can buy anyone they want but are obviously choosing who they want. This year's Vuelta is a prime exampke of growibg pains for the kids with no less than 4 making their Grand Tour debuts. I don't recall seeing another team send that many kids to a Grand Tour before. Kudos to them for recognizing the need to change in the face of a changing sport after so many years of total domibation at the World Tour level. Also, I have to give Ellingsworth credit fir seeing the need to let the old go elsewhere and rejuvenate his squad even if it means growing pains as these young guys learn the ropes. And who better to have to teach them than guys like G, Kwita, etc.

TRENDING THREADS