• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kasper "The Watt Monster" Asgreen

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From Oliver Naesen's Strava the last loop (~15km) was done at an average speed of almost 50 km/hr (31.0mph). So he did this final 15km about as fast, and there was obviously a bunch of wind (it's a loop so in theory no net effect but as everyone knows TTing is a lot harder combining sections with head- and tailwind than in no-wind). Naesen's reported power, mostly sheltered in the bunch on that last part, was 318W, so Asgreen (who I guesstimate is of similar size as Naesen) must have been putting out some monstrous numbers, like 420-450W, for 18min. Absolute beast mode for sure!

This actually reminded me of VdB in Scheldeprijs 1996... unlike Jungels last year, where it always looked like he would stick it, here it seemed Asgreen was almost cooked at 3 - 4 km, dangling out in full view of the peloton, but somehow he still hung on. Amazing performance.

I dont understand how he can win classics since he doesnt possess any sort of sprint. At least thats what people tell me on this forum

Didn't he win a bunch sprint in Tour of California two years ago? Not for a stage win, though.

It is a bit annoying that they haven't shown the full sprint from the heli shot (at least I haven't seen it) since it looked like Mathieau gave up when he was still in front. It must really have hurt then.

Didn't he win a bunch sprint in Tour of California two years ago? Not for a stage win, though.

It is a bit annoying that they haven't shown the full sprint from the heli shot (at least I haven't seen it) since it looked like Mathieau gave up when he was still in front. It must really have hurt then.
They did, at least on one occasion on TV2, I think twice actually. It was pretty clear Mathieu was completely empty, and he gave up around 10 metres or so after getting surpassed, there was definitely no way back.

Also, Asgreen winning makes me so much happy than Fuglsang winning big races. I really like this dude, such an elegant, classy rider, allrounder, down to earth, cold blooded, super aggressive and not afraid to 'waste' energy (kinda like VDP) and not afraid to go hard as *** for others (much contrary to Fuglsang who seems afraid of such thing).

WHAT A WIN KASPER!

Also, Asgreen winning makes me so much happy than Fuglsang winning big races. I really like this dude, such an elegant, classy rider, allrounder, down to earth, cold blooded, super aggressive and not afraid to 'waste' energy (kinda like VDP) and not afraid to go hard as *** for others (much contrary to Fuglsang who seems afraid of such thing).

WHAT A WIN KASPER!

Yeah let's celebrate this amazing achievement to dirttalk Fuglsang, that seems like an obvious thing to do.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

WHAT A WIN KASPER!
Isn't Fuglsang known to always go hard when he is in the attack? So many times he led faster riders to the finish until AGR with Alaphilippe.

Isn't Fuglsang known to always go hard when he is in the attack? So many times he led faster riders to the finish until AGR with Alaphilippe.
Im just specifically remembering the Giro of 2016 where it seemed he was riding his completely own race, despite being on the team with the biggest favourite of the race. That didnt go well with me, and I have some problems with his personality. But its aight, you can't like them all, even your own countrymen, and I think I have elaborated on that too many times on this forum, and this is probably not the thread for that, so lets just leave it at that. I shouldn't have brought him up in the first place.

Reactions: tobydawq

Yes, he won the sprint for third or fourth place from Philipsen. And he had a few top 10 finishes as well i believe. Actually think he won the Points Jersey.

What a ride by Asgreen today, making himself a legend.

NOBODY thought he could take MvdP in a heads up sprint.

Reading back through this thread is fun - seeing his progression from a 23 year old continental rider of little note, 3 years ago, to where he is today.

I wonder what Asgreen could have done next Sunday, if Roubaix was still on.

Let's hope DQ lets him build another form peak for October..... which incidentally wouldn't hurt his chances at Worlds either.

On danish eurosport Brian Holm said that he'd been on a zoom call with Asgreen a few days ago and Asgreen said that he believed everyone underestimated his sprint, and that he thought he could win even in a bunch sprint.

He certainly looked confident out there today.

Definitely a monster. after E3 I already knew he was one of the top favorites for the win. But I thought he would do that in a solo.

Never ever did I expect, when that sprint started and they were still together, that VDP Would lose that.
But hey, cycling is simple, Asgreen was simply stronger.
He went on a harder gear and kept going to the line. VDP exploded, on a lighter gear as well. So he had less energy left. Strongest won

Reactions: Broccolidwarf

TRENDING THREADS