• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Kimmage slams UCI passport program

The Irishman described himself as ‘very happy,’ when contacted by VeloNation on Wednesday evening, applauding the USADA CEO for his persistence in remaining on the case. “This is has been a long time coming and the rap sheet is just so comprehensive that it is a really, really impressive piece of work by Travis Tygart,” he said. “Thank God someone in a position of power and responsibility has had the balls to actually stand up and do the job. For so long the people who could have done this earlier have reneged on their responsibilities. So hats off to Travis Tygart.”

The process is ongoing, but today’s announcement will raise questions about the UCI’s policies in the Armstrong years. For example, if USADA can show that Armstrong was indeed doping in 2009 and 2010, that will raise major questions about why the UCI’s self-praised biological passport system didn’t raise flags.

If earlier doping is proven, it will be a blow to a governing body which had close links to the rider, which was accused by Landis of protecting him, and which vouched for him on more than one occasion.

Kimmage believes the action was taken for very specific reasons. “There are two things about this,” he said. “The action against me was taken to keep me quiet, to shut me up. It wasn’t about money…it was about ‘we don’t like what Paul Kimmage is saying, we don’t like what Floyd Landis is saying.’

“The other thing this indicates is that everything Floyd Landis was saying is true. You read this report and there is no other conclusion than that Floyd Landis told the truth. Is it a coincidence that Floyd Landis and Paul Kimmage are the two people the UCI went after? Maybe not…”

The Irishman points out that there have been several reports of the close links between Armstrong and the UCI.

One matter Kimmage refers to dates back to the 2009 Tour de France, when UCI testers arrived at the hotel to test the Astana team ran at the time by Bruyneel. Rather than testing the riders immediately, as per usual standards, they accepted the team’s request and gave the riders almost an hour before the controls were carried out.

If the riders were indeed doping, this would have given them time to take measures to avoid a positive test.

Controversially, the governing body also accepted donations from Armstrong, but said the money was given for anti-doping funding. McQuaid has since conceded that the acceptance of that money was an error of judgement.

Kimmage is clear on what should have happened long before now. ‘People in responsibility could have stopped this a long time ago had they actually applied the rules. They weren’t applied,” he said. “It has taken Travis Tygart to do his job and to stand up for sport.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...n-other-than-Floyd-Landis-told-the-truth.aspx

I'll give it 48 hours before McQuaid comes out swinging. There's no love lost between these two.

Or we may see some "Friends of Pat" get a few digs in on Kimmage first to soften him [and public opinion] up and then Pat delivers the knockout headbutt.

gooner said:
He is a happy man tonight.

He not only wants Armstrong to go down but he has said in the past that more than anything else he wants to know what the UCI's role in all this was. I wonder what Verbruggen and McQuaid are thinking now? I say they are bricking it at the moment. Hopefully these guys can be exposed once and for all.

I will keep a listen to Irish radio tomorrow. Usually Kimmage and McQuaid are on when these stories come out.

Until the IOC changes their tune, Verbruggen/McQuaid are good to go. Since cycling is the "canary in the coal mine" though, I think that if the IOC changes course, the ax is going to fall on Verbruggen(cycling's) neck. After that, the cockroaches like the IAAF scurry and the rest of the IOC federations finally slow down the doping.

Don't stop Mr. Kimmage. Every parent that doesn't want their kid to have to choose to dope or not (like me) is grateful whether they know it or not.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
how soon before poster Straydog is in here lambasting Kimmage ?:rolleyes:

Straydog has long been a defender of McQuaid and has been anti-Kimmage since his he first appeared in here.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
mikkemus23 said:
UCI will strike back for sure. But with what? :rolleyes:

OT:
I wonder if the UCI bribe case will be part of the investigation?

i hope the dirty machinations of Hein and McQuaid get a complete airing with this.

I hope it also means a clean sweep of all those who think the old ways are the best for the sport. too long has that been proved wrong and a stupid road to take for the sake of the sport. And the UCI has enabled for it to continue in this tradition of allowing doping

mikkemus23 said:
OT:
I wonder if the UCI bribe case will be part of the investigation?

Same thought here. I think it might be an unavoidable next step. The Swiss lab rat confirmed Floyd's and Tyler's reports, this automatically means investigation will need to be done there. UCI looks really bad.
USADA, did they work alone, or backed by WADA? They're throwing all of the UCI under the bus here. IOC may be forced to stop ingnoring what's going on, and take measures against their intimate buddies. Cycling is not too big to fail as a sport, as Armstrong in the end also wasn't as an athlete/manager.

Anyone want to set up a new global cycling federation to take over all duties from the UCI?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Will Bruyneel not be put on 'garden leave' till this is finished and not allowed to DS, well in a car or team bus anyway, not that anyone seems to want to ride for him!

thehog said:
Kimmage believes the action was taken for very specific reasons. “There are two things about this,” he said. “The action against me was taken to keep me quiet, to shut me up. It wasn’t about money…it was about ‘we don’t like what Paul Kimmage is saying, we don’t like what Floyd Landis is saying.’

The other thing this indicates is that everything Floyd Landis was saying is true. You read this report and there is no other conclusion than that Floyd Landis told the truth. Is it a coincidence that Floyd Landis and Paul Kimmage are the two people the UCI went after? Maybe not…”

Which time and version was true? Same with Hamilton, or Frankie etc...

zigmeister said:
Which time and version was true? Same with Hamilton, or Frankie etc...

Gosh I wonder? Was he telling the truth when he was trying to protect his win and his place in the pro peloton, or when he finally admitted to doping and implicated himself as well as everyone else. Gee that is a tough one if you have absolutely no understanding of human psychology or even just basic human nature. But I can understand how you might be puzzled. :rolleyes: