• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance Wins In C Butte Leaville qualifier

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
See Boeing, he's been reading the forum and he's picked up on our + reports about big wheels.

...and there's alot of Ultra about to pass it's "sell by" date at Anheuser-Busch. Maybe the mbx guys and gals don't read as much.

Reality Check

Boeing said:

When Overend placed very well in the single-speed Nationals race, it was by a large margin, AT NATIONALS. In this situation Wonderboy can barely get by the local pro at a local race.

A win's a win, but I think this case is an embarrassment and very likely telling about his PED use for the former World Champion. Context is everything here. The guy is supposed to be one of those one-off, got all the right biological stuff, super star and he's beating a local pro by a mere few seconds?

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
When Overend placed very well in the single-speed Nationals race, it was by a large margin, AT NATIONALS. In this situation Wonderboy can barely get by the local pro at a local race.

A win's a win, but I think this case is an embarrassment and very likely telling about his PED use for the former World Champion. Context is everything here. The guy is supposed to be one of those one-off, got all the right biological stuff, super star and he's beating a local pro by a mere few seconds?

Are you serious? Give me a break...

Following your "logic" here, you're assuming that "Wonderboy" trained as hard and with the single-minded focus as he did for the Tour de France, let alone as much as Ned Overend does or the other racers did in this race? I doubt those assumptions would be true.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised none of you caught the newsbite in the article that I thought would have everyone raging. Having read the CN.com article, am I right in understanding that Lance, based on his comments won't be riding Leadville? I would then assume that the 2nd place finisher in his age group would get his slot, but isn't that something of a hollow victory because #2 could have been #1 (insert jokes here).

I think that is the bigger issue. If he had no intention of riding Leadville, then why bother trying to win? I guess it's the Ricky Bobby mentality at work - "if you're not first, you're last."

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
The guy is still riding hard and entered a qualifier to boot rather than the auto bid should he choose to ride which I admire all the other clinic conversation stuff aside.

@P squaresDude is that a 29er for sure? I didn't want to speculate and couldn't quite tell from the photos

I like the photo where he is 3rd wheel on a kinda techy climbing corner looking for a line.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
cawright1375 said:
I'm surprised none of you caught the newsbite in the article that I thought would have everyone raging. Having read the CN.com article, am I right in understanding that Lance, based on his comments won't be riding Leadville? I would then assume that the 2nd place finisher in his age group would get his slot, but isn't that something of a hollow victory because #2 could have been #1 (insert jokes here).

I think that is the bigger issue. If he had no intention of riding Leadville, then why bother trying to win? I guess it's the Ricky Bobby mentality at work - "if you're not first, you're last."

nice let's make it a moral dilemma now. black and white you win

ok rider

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Did he bring a crew to pace him like at Leadville? Or did he just rely on his usual method that cannot be mentioned outside The Clinic to win?

pedalling squares said:
See Boeing, he's been reading the forum and he's picked up on our + reports about big wheels.

It seem like pretty much all marathon mountain biking in the inter-mountain region is being done with 29ers.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the course is not unber-technical, just dirt roads. It's also not like Lance doesn't have enough MTB experience. A 29-hardtail seems like a good choice. His performance here seems somehow reminiscent of TDF 2010.

Met de Versnelling said:
Road vs MTB...

You seriously trying to say their one and the same thing? The technical skills needed are completely different...

Sigh... Read the article. Wonderboy makes time on the descent. As he should.

The guy he beats is a roadie... Overend appears to have a day job with Specialized.

I'm positive you can't take the racer out of him and going for the win is just who he is. That's fine and good. Many of us would do the same. But he's barely beating mere mortals.\

BTW, beautiful photos with that article.

Damiano Machiavelli said:
Did he bring a crew to pace him like at Leadville? Or did he just rely on his usual method that cannot be mentioned outside The Clinic to win?

:rolleyes:

It was a qualifying race and he beat local boys. Put a guy who was riding the TdF last year and finishing 3rd the year before in this local race and hard training or clinic BS aren't necessary. He's out of shape, but he's still going to be hard to beat.

For those complaining that he "barely" won, I doubt he trained much for this one.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Not everything Armstrong does is EEE-VIL!

Look, I know there's any number of reasons to dislike Lance, but...

He entered a race, for fun. He won. A bunch of other riders have an extra story to tell.

Sounds like a good news story to me.

rgmerk said:
Look, I know there's any number of reasons to dislike Lance, but...

He entered a race, for fun. He won. A bunch of other riders have an extra story to tell.

Sounds like a good news story to me.

All true. I don't think I made this clear enough.

The racer in me says second place is first loser. I don't think I'd go telling people how I lost. But, that's me..

TRENDING THREADS