• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lance's Twit: how ironic

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
A few days ago, Lance posted the following on Twitter:

RT @LeviLeipheimer: If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from 3rd, we know where he lost it. . .

It turns out that Andreas finished 6th 6:42 behind Contador.

The day Armstrong posted those words, sharing Levi's thoughts and critisizing AC, Kloden lost 2:27 to Contador, although only about 2:18 can be attributed to Contador's attack (that's the time Lance and Nibali lost that day).

So if it weren't for that, Kloden would now be 4:24 secons behind Alberto in the GC and Lance would be outside the podium in 4th.

So despite what Liggett said on Versus today, Contador didn't cost Astana the 1-2-3. Kloden and Lance not being able to keep up with Andy did.

And all this is without factoring in that Lance pretty much used Kloden as his personal domestique. Possibly costing Kloden more than the 13 seconds he would have been behind Andy.

Which brings up the question of whether Lance's neediness cost Astana a podium 1-2. It also raises the question of whether Lance demands leader status within the team to the detriment of guys that are actually stronger than him on the road.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
A few days ago, Lance wrote the following on Twitter:

RT @LeviLeipheimer: If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from 3rd, we know where he lost it. . .

That was actually written by Levi Leipheimer and posted on Lances twitter. Below is what Levi said and here is the link:

Well, that wasn't a good move!!8:04 AM Jul 22nd

Now Alberto is isolated AND Andreas is dropped!8:05 AM Jul 22nd

I guess it's not meant to be for Andreas, what was a near sure victory will now be difficult.8:11 AM Jul 22nd

If Andreas finishes 4th in GC by less than 2' from 3rd, we know where he lost it. . .8:37 AM Jul 22nd

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
Manuel Garate won a great stage today you know.

He did indeed. And that makes the second Basque stage victory on this year's tour (unless you count Zubeldia's contribution to Astana's TTT win, but that would be kind of cheating).

Deserved win and great ride by the guy from Irun. It is kind of amazing that the birth towns of Astarloza and Garate are only 22 km away by car. Incredible density of tough and agressive riders on that part of the world. It must be the water...

A pitty Mikel got bumped out of the top 10. He'll have to plan in a few more climbs up Jaizkibel in next year's training plan.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The road definitely shook out the podium finish. After Andy's stellar TT and Mont Ventoux, it is difficult to argue against reasoning other than the strongest riders prevailed.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
The road definitely shook out the podium finish. After Andy's stellar TT and Mont Ventoux, it is difficult to argue against reasoning other than the strongest riders prevailed.

I was impressed by the Liquigas riders today. Pellizotti and Nibali. They look like they will be a great team next year.
Did anyone notice Pellizotti's polkadot bike today? I know there were some getting down on him for wearing polkadot shorts.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
frizzlefry said:
I was impressed by the Liquigas riders today. Pellizotti and Nibali. They look like they will be a great team next year.
Did anyone notice Pellizotti's polkadot bike today? I know there were some getting down on him for wearing polkadot shorts.

And I thought you were interested in talking about Garate and his win today. I was looking forward to learning from your extensive Garate related knowledge... silly me!

two things

1. "RT" is short hand on twitter for re-tweet. Re-tweeting is like forwarding or repeating a tweet you agree with.

2. Neither LL or LA should be communicating about internal conflicts publicly. Whether that's thru mainstream media or twitter or facebook or whatever. That's public relations 101 which I'm sure they know all about. If they do communicate in this way they are attempting to shape the narrative and shift public opinion of AC. Not cool.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Astana has been in implosion mode for a few months now dating back to the problems with the team paying its bills. None of these guys are thinking about preserving anything about this team and isn't afraid to lend their thoughts publicly.

scribe said:
Astana has been in implosion mode for a few months now dating back to the problems with the team paying its bills. None of these guys are thinking about preserving anything about this team and isn't afraid to lend their thoughts publicly.

it's not about whether you are afraid of salvaging relationships for me, it is about a certain standard of professionalism you should maintain no matter what.

i also don't think that the financial difficulties should influence this type of decision making.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
two things

1. "RT" is short hand on twitter for re-tweet. Re-tweeting is like forwarding or repeating a tweet you agree with.

2. Neither LL or LA should be communicating about internal conflicts publicly. Whether that's thru mainstream media or twitter or facebook or whatever. That's public relations 101 which I'm sure they know all about. If they do communicate in this way they are attempting to shape the narrative and shift public opinion of AC. Not cool.

To the dislike of Chomsky and frizzlefry, the fact the Lance chose to post LL's tweet, indicates the he shared that feeling. I'm not surprised they are trying to distract from that fact. Ain't data persistence a bitch?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
The largest portion of the team did not enjoy supporting Contador as their leader. All parties will move on and it will interesting to see how it shakes out down the road.

a professional cyclist can use twitter to tell us what they're having for dinner or what music they're listening to, not to say how much you dislike teamates, your DS, your bike sponsor, etc.

they need to learn to run things through a "filter" and if they don't they'll soon learn that lesson the hard way.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
a professional cyclist can use twitter to tell us what they're having for dinner or what music they're listening to, not to say how much you dislike teamates, your DS, your bike sponsor, etc.

they need to learn to run things through a "filter" and if they don't they'll soon learn that lesson the hard way.

They should learn the hard way, if life were fair. But it ain't. And they constantly get away with more than questionable statements and behaviors because they have the power and the money. Versus is not going to hold them accountable for it or critize them at all. And the masses aren't going to question much of it either.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that many guys dissatisfied following Contador can be disguarded. Pretty sad considering he proved to be the strongest on the road.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
it's not about whether you are afraid of salvaging relationships for me, it is about a certain standard of professionalism you should maintain no matter what.

i also don't think that the financial difficulties should influence this type of decision making.

Well, I think you are asking too much here. Professional behavior when there is no incentive for it? Come on now... that would require character and rectitude...

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Bruyneel's guy got the win. That is all he ever really wanted. Given that he tabbed Contador publicly as the team's strongest rider before the tour began confirmed he wasn't working against Contador.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
fulcrum said:
And I thought you were interested in talking about Garate and his win today. I was looking forward to learning from your extensive Garate related knowledge... silly me!

Ohhhh? I guess I didnt catch what you were getting at. I also didnt realize that the knowledge of where a particular cyclist was born is how you want to gauge a persons knowledge of cycling. It just so happens I was born 30 miles from Plano Tx. The birthplace of LA. I was born in Sherman Tx. I even competed against him in some triathlons. Only I chose to stay an amateur so I could stay eligible to compete in high school and college in distance running. Even got a track and cross country scholarship to a college in San Angelo, Tx. So if you want to question my knowledge of cycling by all means go ahead, as I have been following Lemond and LA since the mid 80's.